U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs Minneapolis
Denver 104 55.91%
Minneapolis 82 44.09%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:30 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,259,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Whistler is like $70. The Vail resorts are like $130-$160. Whistler is bigger than any CO resort. It's kinda sad when your airline ticket out to CO is cheaper than the lift ticket.
You seem to be confusing the Whistler of 20 years ago with the Whistler of today. Lift tickets there are not 70 dollars.

And you don't have to ride at Vail, Breck, or Aspen, lol. There are plenty of other good resorts in CO with out the Vail price tag.

I mean what can you ride in Minnesota? Lutsen? That's a bunny hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 11:38 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,430,159 times
Whistler is around $77 US dollars right now, that's an incredible deal but has to do with the exchange rate too.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:06 AM

1,172 posts, read 1,184,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Minneapolis is nice. I think it has a distinct German/Scandinavian heritage that makes it unique.

However, I'm going with Denver.

More cosmopolitan, and more singles from more diverse backgrounds. And theres so much vast, diverse nature and outdoors to explore in your backyard. Eastern nature is a little dime a dozen/kinda same wherever you go. (trees and water).

For the record, I would say Denver is better than 10-15 years ago, if you are a single guy. More even sex ratio. Its nice to know that "Menver" is an outdated stereotype. Douchey isn't all bad. You stand out better to women who are looking for a down to earth guy
Denver more cosmopolitan than Minneapolis? More diverse backgrounds?? Where do you people come up with this stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
By cosmopolitan, I mean a melting pot of educated people from all parts of the US and around the world.
Minneapolis usually ranks above Denver when it comes to having an educated populous. They are similar in terms of foreign born.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:04 PM

1,708 posts, read 953,780 times
By far DEN. Better weather, people, downtown, walkability etc.

"People in MSP are much much nicer than Denverites many of whom tend to be nosy nouveau riche douchebags."

Really? Ever hear of "Minnesota Ice?" I've been to MSP three times for work and from what I gathered they are (mostly) a bunch of backstabbing, religious & sealed off Scandinavian Hicks.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:04 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,039,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
By far DEN. Better weather, people, downtown, walkability etc.
Weather and people are wholly subjective, but walkability sure isn't. If you think Denver is more walkable than Minneapolis, then I don't think you know Denver very well. In general, Minneapolis is more walkable, has better transit, and is far more bike friendly.

Quote:
Ever hear of "Minnesota Ice?" I've been to MSP three times for work and from what I gathered they are (mostly) a bunch of backstabbing, religious & sealed off Scandinavian Hicks.
First of all, it's "Minnesota Nice". Secondly, it seems that you work for a really awful company if these are the kind of colleagues you're encountering. Not sure where you're getting "religious", either.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:29 AM

5,379 posts, read 7,684,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Weather and people are wholly subjective, but walkability sure isn't. If you think Denver is more walkable than Minneapolis, then I don't think you know Denver very well. In general, Minneapolis is more walkable, has better transit, and is far more bike friendly.
Minneapolis ranks slightly higher then Denver on Walkscore for all of those. However, transit is pretty equal with Denver having the more extensive bus/light rail system.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:53 AM

15,404 posts, read 24,430,159 times
Quote:
I'm curious how Minneapolis has better transit. I know rail isn't the end all be all when it comes to transit but Denver has a much more expansive rail system.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:

First of all, it's "Minnesota Nice". Secondly, it seems that you work for a really awful company if these are the kind of colleagues you're encountering. Not sure where you're getting "religious", either.
A few things:

1. I really don't think MSP's transit system is better than DEN. Not that DEN's is anything special, but it will be built out to the airport this year.

2. MSP and DEN are both very bike friendly cities. DEN is extremely walkable - I can vouch for that. And unlike MSP, Denver has more mild winter & spring days where it's pleasurable to walk around. MSP is like, what between -20 and 20 degrees from December to April?

3. It's well documented that MSP has a culture that is hard to break into for transplants. People from MN are simple-minded, set in their ways, not looking to expand perspective. Clearly not the case in DEN where people are moving to in doves.

4. This article is a good read on people who moved to MSP and had negative things to say about making friends and fitting into corporate culture: Barriers to Living and Working in Minnesota Culture - Surviving and Thriving in Minnesota Nice!

5. "Minnesota Ice": What Exactly is Minnesota Nice? - Surviving and Thriving in Minnesota Nice!

Sorry, no question that Denver is better than Minneapolis. I don't miss my business trips out there at all.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:15 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,481,703 times
Quote:
A few things:

1. I really don't think MSP's transit system is better than DEN. Not that DEN's is anything special, but it will be built out to the airport this year.

2. MSP and DEN are both very bike friendly cities. DEN is extremely walkable - I can vouch for that. And unlike MSP, Denver has more mild winter & spring days where it's pleasurable to walk around. MSP is like, what between -20 and 20 degrees from December to April?

3. It's well documented that MSP has a culture that is hard to break into for transplants. People from MN are simple-minded, set in their ways, not looking to expand perspective. Clearly not the case in DEN where people are moving to in doves.

4. This article is a good read on people who moved to MSP and had negative things to say about making friends and fitting into corporate culture: Barriers to Living and Working in Minnesota Culture - Surviving and Thriving in Minnesota Nice!

5. "Minnesota Ice": What Exactly is Minnesota Nice? - Surviving and Thriving in Minnesota Nice!

Sorry, no question that Denver is better than Minneapolis. I don't miss my business trips out there at all.

I didn't care for all the dead trees as far as the eye can see near Denver

Old 01-29-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I didn't care for all the dead trees as far as the eye can see near Denver
Seems we both live in LA - I think we have our fair share of dead trees out here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or