U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs Minneapolis
Denver 104 55.91%
Minneapolis 82 44.09%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 01:29 PM

621 posts, read 500,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I didn't care for all the dead trees as far as the eye can see near Denver
WTF are you talking about?
I can't tell when you're joking half the time.

Denver.com
Denver Hotels, Restaurants, Nightlife & Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 01:29 PM

5,373 posts, read 7,659,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I didn't care for all the dead trees as far as the eye can see near Denver
You realize every city with a cold winter has dead trees during that time (including Minneapolis), right?

If you're referring to the last year, yes there were a lot of dead trees around the city due to a very late snowfall that caused a lot of damage during the spring. However, that's not the normal so I don't get what you're saying

Last edited by Mezter; 01-29-2016 at 02:02 PM..

Old 01-29-2016, 01:44 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,421,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
WTF are you talking about?
I can't tell when you're joking half the time.

Denver.com
Denver Hotels, Restaurants, Nightlife & Events

I'm sorry, I was under the impression from the post that I responded to, was that we were just going to start referencing blogs and stuff we saw on the internet to support any thing that we stated, I must have misunderstood...sorry

Old 01-29-2016, 03:55 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,340,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Denver more cosmopolitan than Minneapolis? More diverse backgrounds?? Where do you people come up with this stuff?

Minneapolis usually ranks above Denver when it comes to having an educated populous. They are similar in terms of foreign born.
Denver has more transplants from a wider range of places across the country. A wider range of transplants from around the country is going to translate to being easier to meet people, make friends, date, etc.

Minneapolis transplants net is primarily from the upper midwest. So, even if people are friendly, conversations are going to be geared towards things that mostly upper midwest folks are going to relate to, and may even move to Minneapolis already having a network of friends.

Denver has more transplants from the East Coast, California, etc. so conversations are going to be of things that a wider range of people can relate to, and are less likely to already have a network of friends in the area, which translates to everyone finding it easier to build a social network.

I know that's not what is meant by cosmopolitan, but that is what I am referring to. Perhaps I should find a different word.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:01 PM

1,706 posts, read 946,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

I know that's not what is meant by cosmopolitan, but that is what I am referring to. Perhaps I should find a different word.
It's certainly a great argument for why DEN is more cosmo than MSP. Recall that people who live in MSP are mostly white people with Scandinavian decent from the metro area originally or WI, IL, ND, SD etc. And those are the types that seem to be culturally accepted up there and thrive (or if you're Mung.)

DEN does have a lot of Midwest people but as you said, lots of east coasters and Californian's. It comes off as more fun and appealing. The pot thing probably has a lot to do with it.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:10 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,340,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
It's certainly a great argument for why DEN is more cosmo than MSP. Recall that people who live in MSP are mostly white people with Scandinavian decent from the metro area originally or WI, IL, ND, SD etc. And those are the types that seem to be culturally accepted up there and thrive (or if you're Mung.)

DEN does have a lot of Midwest people but as you said, lots of east coasters and Californian's. It comes off as more fun and appealing. The pot thing probably has a lot to do with it.
Yeah, but I think Denver was already becoming more appealing to a wider range of people. People make a bigger deal over pot legalization than really needs to be. If people really wanted to smoke before, they would have found a way. If thats not peoples' thing now, then they won't do it.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:42 PM

1,706 posts, read 946,164 times
Quote:
Yeah, but I think Denver was already becoming more appealing to a wider range of people. People make a bigger deal over pot legalization than really needs to be. If people really wanted to smoke before, they would have found a way. If thats not peoples' thing now, then they won't do it.
On it's own, for sure. Pot legalization just injected a steroid into the popularity of DEN and the local economy.

Pot is nearly legal in LA - all you have to do is go to a doctor and say you have insomnia and go to a dispensary to pick it up.

Knowing Minnesota and their non-confrontational overly bloated democratic government, I doubt Pot will ever be legal up there.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:54 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,589,949 times
This thread is a lot more vicious than I thought it was going to be. Both cities are pretty similar. White liberal "brogressive" bastions that are overhyped that wish they were Seattle and Portland. Denver has the edge with the beautiful mountains, better climate, and great beer scene. Arguing about which city is more cosmopolitan and diverse is ridiculous...both are pretty similar in that regard.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:09 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,006,865 times
I've lived in or near both cities, and I love them both. I voted Denver.

The reason is that, to me, they are very similar. Similar in size, economic impact, relative isolation, culture (both cities love the outdoors, are fairly educated, etc.)....but Denver has better weather, in my opinion, and it's on the front door of the beautiful Rockies (not to say MSP/the upper Midwest isn't beautiful in its own way, I just prefer the mountains).

I do prefer the people/culture in MSP slightly - Denver seems a little more superficial.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:14 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,243,179 times
Quote:
Uhh just the taxes made off pot is something to the akin of nearly $80,000,000 dollars in 2014. It brings in more tax revenue than BEER. In July 2015 medical and non medical total revenue was nearly $100,000,000 dollars. That is a pretty fricken big deal. Nevermind the fact that a whole new sector of the economy is no longer under ground, and has helped many otherwise unemployable people find jobs in a niche economy.

Make no mistake, the legalization of pot is HUGE and part of the reason Denver is BOOMING right now. So much so, that California is trying to get their ducks in a row to jump on the bandwagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or