Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 11:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
^See and Chicago doesn't really have that. Sure an aerial photo like yours shows some low rise but it's not the same as walking through SoHo, the Village, or even Chinatown. Don't get me wrong, Chicago comes close but losing by an inch is the same as losing by a mile, Second Place!
oh i was just showing that it isn't all skyscrapers lots of hoods and distance in between.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
oh i was just showing that it isn't all skyscrapers lots of hoods and distance in between.
I agree, that's a very valid point. I was just thinking out loud on the forum and saying that NY's hoods and distance in between has an unmistakable feeling and vibe to it that even my beloved Chicago cannot match in equivalent area.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:52 PM

hrrmmm to be fair i'd x out all that park space and do it like this, all areas where skyscrapers are predominant.

Quote:
I agree, that's a very valid point. I was just thinking out loud on the forum and saying that NY's hoods and distance in between has an unmistakable feeling and vibe to it that even my beloved Chicago cannot match in equivalent area.
there is certainly lots of activity down there, some of the best spots in manhattan.
Attached Thumbnails
who has a better downtown newyork or chicago-grapedit.jpg  

Old 10-21-2010, 11:53 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
yeah, close enough when using the same scale.
I think your aerial of Chicago does a nice job of showing how large Grant Park (as well as the other open space in Chicago) really is.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
hrrmmm to be fair i'd x out all that park space and do it like this, all areas where skyscrapers are predominant.

there is certainly lots of activity down there, some of the best spots in manhattan.
Oh man if that's 100% to scale then the amount of high rise in Lower Manhattan almost compares to all of Chicago's. Forget when you add in midtown. Guess the difference between the two cities doesn't seem as great when you glance at pictures separately.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Oh man if that's 100% to scale then the amount of high rise in Lower Manhattan almost compares to all of Chicago's. Forget when you add in midtown. Guess the difference between the two cities doesn't seem as great when you glance at pictures separately.
Chicago has high rise going much further, I was grouping off skyscraper & primarily commercial.

I have stats of this on hand ...

per emporis definition of such, which is pretty much industry standard.

50m = high rise 100m = skyscraper 300m = super tall

# of buildings in each category, 50m, 100m, 150m, 200m, 300m, 400m

newyork 50m 1748 100m 563 150m 221 200m 52 300m 4 400m 0
chicago 50m 607 100m 272 150m 109 200m 27 300m 6 400m 2
toronto 50m 357 100m 128 150m 21 200m 8 300m 0 400m 0

those are n.a. top 3.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:45 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Here's an aerial map showing both cities at the same scale. I know Lower Manhattan often referred to as "Downtown" is bounded to the north at 14th street but the yellow marks where the skyline drops off. You'll also notice how much smaller NY's Pier 17 is to Chicago's Navy Pier. Only "Midtown" skyline is larger so technically Chicago has the largest "downtown" skyline in the country. Manhattan's downtown skyline is about the size of Chicago's "Loop" area if you placed it on top. Now just imagine the two skylines across the Hudson River from each other connected by subway.
Cool maps! I have a couple problems though: as Grapico mentioned, you're giving a bit too much to Chicago and (in my opinion) too little to New York.

You said you were cutting off the downtowns where "the skyline drops off"...but I don't that's fair at all. Once you get North of the John Hancock Tower, you're working with basically all residential development. You add roughly 20 city blocks to "downtown" Chicago simply because the people are living in high-rise developments.

You cut off "downtown" New York City at the Brooklyn Bridge, City Hall Park, and Chambers St...but that's the wrong place to cut "downtown" if you're going solely by high-rise development since there are clearly many high-rises all the way up to Canal Street.

If you're going to count the area North of the Hancock Tower, then the Borders of "downtown" New York should probably be as follows:

West Border: Hudson River. North Border: Houston St. East Border: Sarah D. Roosevelt Park all the way down to the Manhattan Bridge.

Quote:
If this doesn't count as competing, then IDK what does:

Versus

But when you take a second look, I guess all of Chicago still falls just short of rivaling Midtown Manhattan. Throw DT Manhattan in there plus all the low and midrise in between, and NYC is as formidable as they come. However Chicago is it's closest rival and is light years closer to New York than Chicago's closest competitor is to Chicago.
In terms of highrises, yes Chicago is closer to NYC than the #3 skyline is to Chicago...but in terms of the quality of a downtown, I think you're way off. Cities like San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Boston have downtowns that are much closer to Chicago than Chicago is to Manhattan.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
In terms of highrises, yes Chicago is closer to NYC than the #3 skyline is to Chicago...but in terms of the quality of a downtown, I think you're way off. Cities like San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Boston have downtowns that are much closer to Chicago than Chicago is to Manhattan.
Yes, I only meant for skyline/downtown size but I don't think I made that clear sorry. I love Chicago, it's my family's home but I've always felt that the streetscape and streetlife for whatever reason, like the ones discussed in this thread and similar ones, just wasn't up to par with NYC. SanFran, Boston, Philly are some great examples of slightly smaller skylines/downtowns that hang with and around Chicago all day. And that number #3 skyline according to most rankings would be Miami and to me Miami is nowhere near Chicago in skyline, downtown size, nor liveliness.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:08 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
^^ Agreed.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:12 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Cool maps! I have a couple problems though: as Grapico mentioned, you're giving a bit too much to Chicago and (in my opinion) too little to New York.

You said you were cutting off the downtowns where "the skyline drops off"...but I don't that's fair at all. Once you get North of the John Hancock Tower, you're working with basically all residential development. You add roughly 20 city blocks to "downtown" Chicago simply because the people are living in high-rise developments.

You cut off "downtown" New York City at the Brooklyn Bridge, City Hall Park, and Chambers St...but that's the wrong place to cut "downtown" if you're going solely by high-rise development since there are clearly many high-rises all the way up to Canal Street.

If you're going to count the area North of the Hancock Tower, then the Borders of "downtown" New York should probably be as follows:

West Border: Hudson River. North Border: Houston St. East Border: Sarah D. Roosevelt Park all the way down to the Manhattan Bridge.
Thanks, the aerial isn't perfect but gives an idea what both areas look like side by side. You could push the yellow line north to 14th street since that area is part of lower manhattan. I think I may do another cool trick by placing Grant Park inside Central Park to scale. (just curious)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City