Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 06:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Manhattan is divided into three geographical areas Downtown (Lower Manhattan), Midtown (Midtown Manhattan), and Uptown (Upper Manhattan). According to the city the northern most boundary is 14th Street where Midtown actually begins. Lower Manhattan is "Downtown". Down-town, Mid-town and Up-town. The "town" is basically all of Manhattan.

"Down"town
http://goo.gl/maps/fLnz9
"Mid"town
http://goo.gl/maps/UIxCW
I know that, but what would you consider the boundaries of downtown Chicago? Or general core?

Old 07-14-2013, 07:02 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I already made it in response to everyone's definition of Manhattan's "downtown".

That's incorrect, Downtown in basically in any other city in the USA refers to central business district, whereas in NYC downtown is more of a directional phrase, when using the term downtown in NYC in the context of central business district/core, NYC' downtown would probably be anything below ~110th street

Old 07-14-2013, 07:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
That's incorrect, Downtown in basically in any other city in the USA refers to central business district, whereas in NYC downtown is more of a directional phrase, when using the term downtown in NYC in the context of central business district/core, NYC' downtown would probably be anything below ~110th street
Yes, but if you say downtown when you're in NYC when you referring to somewhere on 40th street, you would confuse the locals. Saying the Empire State Building is Downtown is incorrect. 14th street is a good boundary, but sometimes more restrictive ones are used: Houston St, perhaps.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:21 PM

These maps of job density might give a good idea where "downtown" in the sense of non-residential city center is for both cities:

Day vs. night population maps

Click on "hi-res image" for a zoom in of NYC. All are the same scale on the main page.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:23 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yes, but if you say downtown when you're in NYC when you referring to somewhere on 40th street, you would confuse the locals. Saying the Empire State Building is Downtown is incorrect. 14th street is a good boundary, but sometimes more restrictive ones are used: Houston St, perhaps.
I get that, but people are not consistent on the context of the word "downtown" when comparing NYC to Chicago (or any other city).

Old 07-14-2013, 07:24 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
Quote:
Gantz may misread that quote but he's from NYC (Brooklyn, I think), so is well aware that much of Long Island is outside the city limits. The confusion probably came from "and any other downtown", since he was talking about downtowns, Gantz probably assumed he meant to say "Long Island City".

In the New York area, the usual to use Long Island to refer the parts of the island not in NYC. No clue if that's understood or well-known in the rest of the country, though most northeasterners seem to be aware of that. As to the bolded, being a native, I'd be liable to assume that others know that.
I know Long Island would be the island itself. I was only going by what tawfiqmp originally quoted from his post. It may be possible that it was a typo that he could have left out "City" but I won't make that assumption to take what he quoted out of context.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I get that, but people are not consistent on the context of the word "downtown" when comparing NYC to Chicago (or any other city).
Agree about that. Btw, the way Manhattan below 110th street has about 1 million people. The city officials refers to that region as "Manhattan Core" and they get specific zoning (maximum rather than minimum parking requirements, for example —*the parking deck high rises that Chicago has would not be allowed in that region)

Still, the Upper West Side and Upper East Side feel more residential than the rest, maybe more like a super dense version of Lincoln Park. They do have some cultural institutions, such as Lincoln Center and many museums, though. The avenues have walls of midrise buildings that seem downtown-like but the character is still rather different than further downtown.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Also keep in mind NYC's defining geography is not like other cities unique in sense of having more than one downtown due to having a network of large boroughs. Example, "downtown" Brooklyn is not the same defining area of "downtown" in Manhattan as they are both separate boroughs. Manhattan being more complex has a downtown, midtown and uptown.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I know that, but what would you consider the boundaries of downtown Chicago? Or general core?
I don't have the definition on hand but I'm sure it's listed somewhere. It's more of what I think the city officially defines as the boundary that I would be interested in. It's large but nothing like the size of Manhattan.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:13 PM

541 posts, read 912,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I understand everyone has an opinion, but how can an area that includes: SoHo, West Village, East Village, Meat Packing, lower east side, Bowery, etc. be ranked 3rd of 3 in this comparison?

Im talking about the CBDs.

Those arent included fella.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City