Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times

Advertisements

No U.S. city can compare to New York\ Manhattan.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:48 AM

10 posts, read 30,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
No U.S. city can compare to New York\ Manhattan.
apparently Chicago can

Old 11-19-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvrxs25 View Post
apparently Chicago can
Yeah but it is just hometown pride. Most people in Chicago would agree that New York City has the most impressive downtown of any city in the nation.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah but it is just hometown pride. Most people in Chicago would agree that New York City has the most impressive downtown of any city in the nation.
I don't think you have been reading this thread...
It is way more than just home town pride.

Most people in Chicago agree that even though NYC is bigger, Chicago is cleaner, friendlier, and a much better value.
Anything you can do in manhattan you can do in Chicago. Plus Chicago has a beach, something you will not find in manhattan.
And Chicago's skyline has always been ranked higher than NYC's skyline.

And Chicagoans aren't the only ones who think so. Chicago is home to a lot of New Yorkers who decided to move to Chicago from New York because they agree it's a better place to live. And travelers who have been to both cities agree that Chicago provided the overall better experience for them.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Most people in Chicago agree that even though NYC is bigger, Chicago is cleaner, friendlier, and a much better value.
Anything you can do in manhattan you can do in Chicago. Plus Chicago has a beach, something you will not find in manhattan.

And Chicagoans aren't the only ones who think so. Chicago is home to a lot of New Yorkers who decided to move to Chicago from New York because they agree it's a better place to live. And travelers who have been to both cities agree that Chicago provided the overall better experience for them.
Perhaps what you write is true but I think most Americans would pick NYC over Chicago even if both skylines are quite attractive. The Loop is very impressive and the former Sears tower is the tallest building in the nation. Why did they have to change the name even if it isn't owned by Sears anymore?

BTW, New York does have beaches but not near Manhattan. The ocean beaches on Long Island are very nice.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Perhaps what you write is true but I think most Americans would pick NYC over Chicago even if both skylines are quite attractive. The Loop is very impressive and the former Sears tower is the tallest building in the nation. Why did they have to change the name even if it isn't owned by Sears anymore?

BTW, New York does have beaches but not near Manhattan. The ocean beaches on Long Island are very nice.
True, most American would initially choose NYC over Chicago. But that's because NYC is more mainstream. Since most people only hear of NYC, their first instinct would be to go there instead of Chicago.

But for travel-savvy Americans who have been to both, Chicago would most likely be on the top of their lists.

And to answer your question, the name of the Sears Tower was changed to the Willis Tower because it was bought by Willis Group Holdings. Chicagoans are definitely not happy with this narcissistic name change, but hardly anyone in the city refers to it as Willis Tower anyway. It will always be known as the Sears Tower to true Chicagoans.

And yes NYC has beaches along the outskirts in Long Island, but Chicago has beaches both on the north and south sides as well as along its downtown, which is what gives Chicago's downtown an edge over manhattan.

So the first choice is NYC, but the educated choice is Chicago

Old 11-19-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
True, most American would initially choose NYC over Chicago. But that's because NYC is more mainstream. Since most people only hear of NYC, their first instinct would be to go there instead of Chicago.

But for travel-savvy Americans who have been to both, Chicago would most likely be on the top of their lists.

And to answer your question, the name of the Sears Tower was changed to the Willis Tower because it was bought by Willis Group Holdings. Chicagoans are definitely not happy with this narcissistic name change, but hardly anyone in the city refers to it as Willis Tower anyway. It will always be known as the Sears Tower to true Chicagoans.

And yes NYC has beaches along the outskirts in Long Island, but Chicago has beaches both on the north and south sides as well as along its downtown, which is what gives Chicago's downtown an edge over manhattan.

So the first choice is NYC, but the educated choice is Chicago
I see your point.

I've been to both cities and like the Chicago water front alot. It has a Miami feel & wish summer lasted longer in the Great Lakes. But honestly, the excitement of New York City can't be matched by any city, in my opinion.

I wish the Sears Tower wasn't changed to the Willis tower because it will definitely confuse people who don't live in Chicago. Right now when the building is mentioned in the news there is an explanation that the name was changed but people outside Illinois will not remember "Willis". Too confusing.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I see your point.

I've been to both cities and like the Chicago water front alot. It has a Miami feel & wish summer lasted longer in the Great Lakes. But honestly, the excitement of New York City can't be matched by any city, in my opinion.

I wish the Sears Tower wasn't changed to the Willis tower because it will definitely confuse people who don't live in Chicago. Right now when the building is mentioned in the news there is an explanation that the name was changed but people outside Illinois will not remember "Willis". Too confusing.
UGH i know!! I was really mad when they announced it was going to be changed, but o well....

And ok, it's your opinion that NYC has a more exciting vibe to it than Chicago. That's respectable, and I can see that too.
But I think people definitely do not give Chicago enough credit. I've been to both NYC and Chicago, but I still think Chicago is way more gorgeous.
In terms of excitement though, I think its a close call but manhattan wins. Chicago may not be as exciting but it is still one of the most exciting downtowns in the country, and it has its own unique feel and vibe to it.

It depends on the person, but in my opinion I think Chicago has a better downtown.

Last edited by jvrxs25; 11-19-2009 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: thought about it a little more, definitely not a tie in excitement.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:35 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
No place in the country compares with Manhattan. I like Chicago and would live there before NY and I am from Brooklyn. But Manhattan is probably the only city in the US that gives you 24 hour access to everything. There are more things to see and do in NY than in Chicago. NY has more of everything than any other city. Chicago is beautiful DT and along the lake, after that it looks like Minneapolis. Chicago doesn't have anything that competes with Time Square! NYC has too many historic and well known neighborhoods. In addition, the foot traffic in Midtown is amazing all times of day and night.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:47 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:

I am definately one of the people that feels this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City