Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Portland, ME or Portland, OR better?
Portland, ME 36 57.14%
Portland, OR 27 42.86%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:52 PM

631 posts, read 561,822 times

Advertisements

Which is better, Portland, ME or Portland, OR?

PORTLAND, ME:
Cold, but sunny winters.
Great summers.
On coast, near beaches.
Small, but filled with city amenities (only big city in Maine).
A bit pricey to live in.

PORTLAND, OR:
Cool, rainy, gray, drizzly winters.
Great summers.
Near mountains.
Large, filled with big-city amenities.
Even more pricey to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 03:19 AM

74 posts, read 24,518 times
Portland Maine

Old 06-22-2018, 05:58 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,068 times
Portland Maine!

Old 06-22-2018, 06:55 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,446,990 times
I had fun while visiting Portland, OR but I would not want to live there. The view of Mt. Hood is spectacular. The Pacific coast line IS beautiful and is not too far away. The public transit is strong for a city its size and it's great they have such a strong biking culture. However, Portland is too isolated for me (2-3 hours from Seattle but otherwise very far from other urban hubs). The West does not have as much historical significance. Also, my seasonal depression would hit rock bottom there. An average of 66 hours of sunshine in December would drive me nuts. I prefer snow to on-going cold rain.

I love Portland, ME, and Maine at large. There is natural beauty, small town New England culture, glorious seasons, great food (Lobster and Blueberries!) and proximity to Northeastern cities. Boston is nearby and it is 5-7 hours to NYC, depending on when/how you travel there. If I ever leave PA, it would probably only be for Maine or Vermont.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:12 AM

5,014 posts, read 3,908,934 times
Portland, Maine is an incredible place to live if you can endure the winters. It's a bit more moderate than much of northern New England as it's coastal, but it's still pretty brutal.

Either way, I'd go Portland, Maine. Awesome town.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:04 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,279,828 times
Didn't realize Portland Maine was so well liked. Tempted to check out the area now.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:19 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,447 times
It depends on what you're looking for - if you want a place with great restaurants, bars, and shopping, good public transit, and a variety of urban neighborhoods then Portland, Oregon is the clear winner. If you prefer a smaller city that's more affordable and historic (and has a very good downtown for a city its size) then you'd prefer Portland, Maine.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:14 PM

226 posts, read 302,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Portland, Maine is an incredible place to live if you can endure the winters. It's a bit more moderate than much of northern New England as it's coastal, but it's still pretty brutal.

Either way, I'd go Portland, Maine. Awesome town.

Totally agree. Having been to both multiple times, I'd move the Portland Maine in a heartbeat if circumstances allowed.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:23 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times
There needs to be a "it's a tie" option.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:32 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,735,719 times
Tough choice. I like them both. I grew up in New England and lived there most of my life and now live about an hour and a half from Portland (Oregon). In terms of scenery/nature, it's going to be Oregon for me. The gorge is absolutely stunning as is the coast, Mt. Hood etc. Everything out here on the west coast is much larger in scale but Portland Maine is still beautiful. If you enjoy going to beaches however (not me) you can actually swim on the east coast whereas out here the water is much colder and no one really swims in it. Maine is a 4 season climate and has beautiful fall colors and snowy winters. Out here it's more like 2 seasons...summer and then rain and grey lol. Portland Maine is a quaint New England city while the Oregon variant is much larger and there is also a much larger homeless problem out here. I'd choose the Oregon Portland personally if I had to pick but I love both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City