Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better to live in?
Austin 90 58.82%
Baltimore 63 41.18%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 07:14 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjb1109 View Post
I lived in Anne Arundel County my entire life. I didn't hang out in Baltimore (for the last decade or so) unless I had to.

The "etc." is:

Overall cost of living (Groceries, Restaurants, Rent) is cheaper in Austin.
Job Market is better in Austin
Unemployment is lower in Austin.
Population Density is lower in Austin although it is a much larger city population wise.
Austin is younger more vibrant city
Climate is better in Austin (Less rain, more sunny days, no snow)

Baltimore has professional sports teams so that's a plus (Go O's!)
They also have the 12 O' Clock Boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30lKGIdOzQY

I could list more but it's a moot issue. Either you agree or not. I've spent considerable time in both cities. This poll is subjective, but to me, there really is no comparison.
The country isn't clamoring to move to Baltimore and they are to move to Austin for a reason.

https://micpenpick.files.wordpress.c...ice_2011_0.jpg
I don't mind you not liking Baltimore. I don't think, however, people aren't clamouring over Baltimore because they don't know Baltimore outside of the negative aspects. Realistically we can go toe-to-toe with most cities in this country in most aspects. For instance, jobs, the Baltimore area has one of the fastest growing job markets in the country. I read somewhere (have to find the link) that March 2016 the Baltimore created more jobs than anywhere in the country except Philly, NYC, Chicago and LA, so the region definitely isn't stagnant. I won't argue with opinions because everyone is entitled to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 07:34 PM

14 posts, read 11,120 times
I heard the same thing about jobs in the last quarter, looks like electing a Republican governor has been good for Maryland, and Baltimore.
It's a big country, big enough for everyone to find a place that suits them. As for me, I've found it.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I heard the same thing about jobs in the last quarter, looks like electing a Republican governor has been good for Maryland, and Baltimore.
It's a big country, big enough for everyone to find a place that suits them. As for me, I've found it.
Better than Martin " sunlight tax" Owe'Malley? Never.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Better than Martin " sunlight tax" Owe'Malley? Never.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:45 PM

406 posts, read 481,706 times
Quote:
From your posts I'm glad you left Baltimore. Congratulations on finding your happy place. Baltimore is certainly not for everyone. It takes a little bit of intelligence to understand all of the great things that Baltimore brings to the table. It takes a little bit of intelligence to understand the complexity and roots of Baltimore's crime problem. It takes a lot of heart to be someone willing play a role in making their city and it's people better. That's what makes Baltimore so cool - the people who believe in what is undoubtedly the most resilient city in the nation. Enjoy Texas and their growing efforts to secede from the United States!

Old 06-08-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
From your posts I'm glad you left Baltimore. Congratulations on finding your happy place. Baltimore is certainly not for everyone. It takes a little bit of intelligence to understand all of the great things that Baltimore brings to the table. It takes a little bit of intelligence to understand the complexity and roots of Baltimore's crime problem. It takes a lot of heart to be someone willing play a role in making their city and it's people better. That's what makes Baltimore so cool - the people who believe in what is undoubtedly the most resilient city in the nation. Enjoy Texas and their growing efforts to secede from the United States!
I'm also glad I left Baltimore. It will always hold a special place in my heart but I call it like I see it. I understand the Baltimore love. People love their hometowns and are quick to defend it. I'm not sure whether to take your post as a jab at my intelligence or "heart" but I will tell you that I am college educated and spent a career as a police officer in the metropolitan area in order to "play a role in making their [community] and it's people better. Heart, I have it, and worked with many men and women who have it in spades.
The Texas secession movement is a minority of Texas but gets a lot of press, well, because the press loves to trash Texas.
Like I said, I've spent considerable time in both Austin and Baltimore, and am writing from Capitol Hill in DC. Baltimore doesn't hold a candle to either DC or Austin, but if you haven't been, you don't know. If you have, you may know, but prefer to ignore it because of hometown pride. In the end, it is what it is, and being that this is a subjective poll, I've said my piece.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:19 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,418,479 times
Austin hands down! Baltimore suffers from years of neglect by local government and severe economic challenges, there is a reason why Baltimore's population is sadly declining while other American cities are growing..

Old 06-12-2016, 07:40 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,496,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Austin hands down! Baltimore suffers from years of neglect by local government and severe economic challenges, there is a reason why Baltimore's population is sadly declining while other American cities are growing..
What basis do you use when you claim that Baltimore's population is declining? Census estimates have the population going up slightly since 2010. Baltimore is a slow growing city but the claim that the population is declining is a favorite incorrect factoid used by haters and DC area people. It is true that this year's Census preliminary estimate shows a decline from the year before, but those estimates are revised upwards every year in September. Also, the Census estimates don't seem to count many of the 12,000 new housing units completed since 2010.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I'm also glad I left Baltimore. It will always hold a special place in my heart but I call it like I see it. I understand the Baltimore love. People love their hometowns and are quick to defend it. I'm not sure whether to take your post as a jab at my intelligence or "heart" but I will tell you that I am college educated and spent a career as a police officer in the metropolitan area in order to "play a role in making their [community] and it's people better. Heart, I have it, and worked with many men and women who have it in spades.
The Texas secession movement is a minority of Texas but gets a lot of press, well, because the press loves to trash Texas.
Like I said, I've spent considerable time in both Austin and Baltimore, and am writing from Capitol Hill in DC. Baltimore doesn't hold a candle to either DC or Austin, but if you haven't been, you don't know. If you have, you may know, but prefer to ignore it because of hometown pride. In the end, it is what it is, and being that this is a subjective poll, I've said my piece.
Baltimore can't hold a candle to either of these cities in what regards? Maybe the parts of Baltimore that you've been to can't, but then you'd be comparing favorable areas of DC to unfavorable parts of Baltimore, and that's not how logic works, because otherwise, you'd know for a fact that Baltimore can hold a candle to DC.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore can't hold a candle to either of these cities in what regards? Maybe the parts of Baltimore that you've been to can't, but then you'd be comparing favorable areas of DC to unfavorable parts of Baltimore, and that's not how logic works, because otherwise, you'd know for a fact that Baltimore can hold a candle to DC.
In any (positive) regard. It's subjective, but I'm comparing Fell's Point, Federal Hill and Canton to Capitol Hill, Logan and the H Street Corridor. I used to argue with friends Baltimore vs DC and was always an apologist for Baltimore. I was wrong and I've had to eat crow.

To each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City