Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 07:41 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,887,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
lol. he kind of set himself up for that one. But it can be done in an urban fashion. DCUSA has a huge Target as well. Don't know what it looks like at Atlantic station.
We were talking about what was accessible in walking distance it's all part of the neighborhood. I didn't set myself up for anything. There both surrounded by walkable neighborhoods. This is a inner city IKEA is not set up like the ones you find in Houston Charlotte or Tampa where is a huge parking lot surrounded by the building most of the parking is underneath the building. It's set up in the perfect area of town. Most Ikeas are deep in suburbia

Last edited by Staysean23; 02-28-2016 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
And that's one thing that gets me with Atlanta; the neighborhoods within it's core are compact, but they're not exactly Urban. Atlanta has excellent walkable neighborhoods; but having no retail, convenience stores, or little shops within distance kind of defeats the purpose of walking in the first place, it's very sprawled.

Nah the target in Atlantic Station has a parking lot, same with IKEA as well.
There are some neighborhoods with that to name a few.

Little 5 points

East Atlanta village

West midtown/ westside provisions

castleberry hill

Parts of Old fourth ward

Near my house in Brooklyn there is a Home Depot with a big parking lot and a few grocery stores with parking lots and these are neighborhoods in between best stuy and Williamsburg.

Last edited by Staysean23; 02-28-2016 at 08:26 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 08:10 AM

720 posts, read 788,546 times
Quote:
And that's one thing that gets me with Atlanta; the neighborhoods within it's core are compact, but they're not exactly Urban. Atlanta has excellent walkable neighborhoods; but having no retail, convenience stores, or little shops within distance kind of defeats the purpose of walking in the first place, it's very sprawled.

Nah the target in Atlantic Station has a parking lot, same with IKEA as well.
IKEA is built on top of a 2-story parking garage. The small parking lot in front is for loading. There's a small parking lot for the multi-level Target, and it's nothing like the sweeping parking lots at suburban Targets. Even Dillard's, Publix, and the Regal Cinemas are designed for pedestrians.
Attached Thumbnails
Dallas vs Atlanta: Dallas is too car-centric-ikea-2.png   Dallas vs Atlanta: Dallas is too car-centric-ikea.png   Dallas vs Atlanta: Dallas is too car-centric-target-2.png   Dallas vs Atlanta: Dallas is too car-centric-target.png   Dallas vs Atlanta: Dallas is too car-centric-cinemas.png  

Dallas vs Atlanta: Dallas is too car-centric-dillards.png   Dallas vs Atlanta: Dallas is too car-centric-publix.png  

Old 02-28-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
IKEA is built on top of a 2-story parking garage. The small parking lot in front is for loading. There's a small parking lot for the multi-level Target, and it's nothing like the sweeping parking lots at suburban Targets. Even Dillard's, Publix, and the Regal Cinemas are designed for pedestrians.
It's the same set up with IKEA in Red Hook on Brooklyn

Old 02-28-2016, 08:41 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Atlantic Station reminds me of City Place in West Palm Beach.

They're both walkable outdoor shopping centers.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:31 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
We were talking about what was accessible in walking distance it's all part of the neighborhood. I didn't set myself up for anything. There both surrounded by walkable neighborhoods. This is a inner city IKEA is not set up like the ones you find in Houston Charlotte or Tampa where is a huge parking lot surrounded by the building most of the parking is underneath the building. It's set up in the perfect area of town. Most Ikeas are deep in suburbia
You took that far to seriously.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:36 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,092,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Atlantic Station reminds me of City Place in West Palm Beach.

They're both walkable outdoor shopping centers.
Mmmm my point exactly.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:00 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,341,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Mmmm my point exactly.
You still seem to believe your point is valid. What don't you comprehend about the fact Atlantic Station is a mixed-use development and not just an outdoor mall?

Old 02-28-2016, 03:29 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,389,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
There are some neighborhoods with that to name a few.

Little 5 points

East Atlanta village

West midtown/ westside provisions

castleberry hill

Parts of Old fourth ward

Near my house in Brooklyn there is a Home Depot with a big parking lot and a few grocery stores with parking lots and these are neighborhoods in between best stuy and Williamsburg.
Loved L5P; Atlanta needs more areas like EAV, and Castlebury Hill. You know, just areas where regular people can go eat and walk around without having to deal around peachtree and it's commotion. More along the lines of neighborhoods in LA, or NO, and etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9300...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/place/OV...e27755!6m1!1e1

Old 02-28-2016, 07:53 PM

7,773 posts, read 10,063,802 times
Quote:
Loved L5P; Atlanta needs more areas like EAV, and Castlebury Hill. You know, just areas where regular people can go eat and walk around without having to deal around peachtree and it's commotion. More along the lines of neighborhoods in LA, or NO, and etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9300...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/place/OV...e27755!6m1!1e1
I'm in Atlanta right now and stumbled upon Kirkwood and Brookhaven. Two quasi random and totally different parts of town but they both seemed to have a very nice walkable commercial strip with plenty of housing adjacent. If Atlanta has a few dozen places like this that goes a long way to making the overall city more pedestrian-friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City