Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State Virginia or Missouri Would You Prefer To Live In?
Virginia 79 77.45%
Missouri 23 22.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 02:36 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Chicago is still at least 120+ miles from St. Louis. DC directly borders Virginia and its metro encompasses a significant amount of Virginia land area.

Chicago is much more than 121 miles....it's nearly 300 miles from St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Been to both. Visited some friends in Richmond earlier this year and then traveled to Virginia Beach and Newport News. Grew up within walking distance to the Missouri border outside of Kansas City. As a result, I am much more familiar with Missouri, and it really is an underrated state. Although I was really impressed with how green and beautiful VA is. However, neither one is my ideal state scenery wise (not crazy about heavily forested areas, even if it is the mountains).

City wise, I prefer KC and STL to the cities in Virginia. KC and STL are both great cites for foodies, have rich musical histories, major league teams, and are noticeably larger in the metro (though I wish one of them had a beach). Also I like how different KC and St. Louis are from each other. One is the last city of the East and the other is the first of the West. I enjoy their histories in the development of the American Frontier.
I disagree that KC is the first city of the West. It has more in common with Eastern cities than western cities like Denver.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:46 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,653,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I disagree that KC is the first city of the West. It has more in common with Eastern cities than western cities like Denver.
Totally disagree with this observation. KC feels like a completely different state than STL. Hard to even compare the two, seriously. It is a VERY different vibe/culture. KC has a distinctly western/plains atmosphere, and St. Louis is much more like older cities of the eastern US.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:49 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
I'd pick VA - on the coast - Like VA Beach or Norfolk, etc.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Totally disagree with this observation. KC feels like a completely different state than STL. Hard to even compare the two, seriously. It is a VERY different vibe/culture. KC has a distinctly western/plains atmosphere, and St. Louis is much more like older cities of the eastern US.
I think a lot of comparisons can be made between the two cities. I believe KC is overall Catholic and has a large Irish population and is known for barbecue, jazz and blues. St. Louis is known for the same things and is a Catholic and heavily Irish city. Both cities proper have overall African American populations...to my knowledge African Americans aren't the majority in Western cities. Both cities get similar weather year round. So there are a lot of cultural similarities between the two cities. As far as their pasts go, I agree that KC is a historically Western city, although it is not Western by modern definitions. St. Louis has been and always will be an Eastern city.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:05 PM

638 posts, read 623,442 times
Quote:
Chicago is still at least 120+ miles from St. Louis. DC directly borders Virginia and its metro encompasses a significant amount of Virginia land area.
I realize how close it is to Virginia. However saying Virginia "has DC" is like saying Kansas "has Kansas City"

Old 03-08-2016, 04:24 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
I realize how close it is to Virginia. However saying Virginia "has DC" is like saying Kansas "has Kansas City"
It does: City of Kansas City, Kansas

Old 03-08-2016, 04:58 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
No it's not. DC is not in a state, so if a state had to claim it, it would be Virginia/Maryland. Seeing as almost 50 percent of DC's MSA lives in North Virginia(which encompasses over around 1/3 of the states population) I think it's safe to say that Virginia has DC.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:04 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Virginia has DC? Lol well I guess Missouri has Chicago.
DC has suburbs in Virginia, and it physically borders the state, but Chicago does not have suburbs in Missouri.

For that reason, if this became a conversation of what Illinois has/has access to, I'd give St. Louis to Illinois, but not Kansas City. Indiana would have the best claim to Chicago, and then Wisconsin in that regard as well.

Quote:
120 miles on your way from St. Louis to Chicago puts you just north of Springfield, IL on I-55. You're probably around Lincoln, IL. You've got another 30 miles until you've hit the halfway point.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:17 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,653,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I think a lot of comparisons can be made between the two cities. I believe KC is overall Catholic and has a large Irish population and is known for barbecue, jazz and blues. St. Louis is known for the same things and is a Catholic and heavily Irish city. Both cities proper have overall African American populations...to my knowledge African Americans aren't the majority in Western cities. Both cities get similar weather year round. So there are a lot of cultural similarities between the two cities. As far as their pasts go, I agree that KC is a historically Western city, although it is not Western by modern definitions. St. Louis has been and always will be an Eastern city.
I hear what you're saying, but KC is more protestant/evangelical than Catholic and is only 29% black. By comparison, St. Louis is more than 20% Catholic, KC is barely 10% Catholic. St. Louis is 48% black, KC is 29% black. I agree that relative to other contemporary western cities, KC looks a bit more eastern, but I think compared to the rustbelt/northeast, it still bears a stronger resemblance to the west. I honestly think St. Louis has more in common in every way with places like Pittsburgh and Cleveland than it does with Kansas City. I think people in KC would agree with that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City