Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,982 times

Advertisements

For those that moved for reasons besides job opportunities or housing prices, what made you want to make the switch?

Also...
Did you new city live up to your expectations?
What do you miss most about your old city?
What's noticeably better in your new city?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 02:17 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,347 times
So I can reshape Denver into the Los Angeles that I miss

OK, slightly facetious.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:41 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times
Moving to DEN from LA for work. Not by choice, but welcoming the opportunity. It's got a mix of LA and NYC that I like

Old 03-03-2016, 06:51 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Do people actually move FROM Denver TO LA ?

Old 03-03-2016, 07:56 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Do people actually move FROM Denver TO LA ?
I would! I plan to do so in the near future. Not that I don't love Denver, but I've been wanting to live in LA for a while.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I would! I plan to do so in the near future. Not that I don't love Denver, but I've been wanting to live in LA for a while.
It just seems like Denver is the hot place to be right now. I personally know like 3 friends from Southern California that have moved there in just the past year or two.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:41 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,436,952 times
Yea, nobody from Denver moves to LA. This forum..

Old 03-04-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Yea, nobody from Denver moves to LA. This forum..
It was a half joking comment. I know some people do move from Denver to LA but I think quite a bit more do the opposite nowadays. Some other poster a while back posted data on the moving truck rates from LA to Denver and vice versa and the rates to Denver was MUCH higher which suggested the demand is rather one-sided. Migration data also shows more way more domestic in-migration for Denver than LA, where the growth is almost solely fueled by immigrants and natural increase. I'm on my phone right now and don't feel like digging up the data but maybe I will post it later on today.

Last edited by Bluefox; 03-04-2016 at 07:43 AM..

Old 03-04-2016, 09:10 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,436,952 times
LA has 18 million people.
Denver has 4 or so.

There should be more people moving from LA than vice versa just because of sheer numbers.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:50 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times
"Also...
Did you new city live up to your expectations?
What do you miss most about your old city?
What's noticeably better in your new city?"

I'll give an update 1.3 years in:

1. "Did you new city live up to your expectations?" - Mixed bag so far. Met a lot of new guy friends quickly but dating is terrible out here. There isn't a lot of diversity and it's way more passive aggressive than I anticipated. There's a lack of professionalism out here that sets the bar lower than say California or Texas. Service at restaurants and bars tends to be slower than L.A., and drivers much worse. Mental health awareness is bad for a city at high altitude (all sorts of mood issues since moving here from CA). Art and food scene is surprisingly good. People are overly obsessed with being in the mountains and/or outdoorsy to the point of annoyance.

2. "What do you miss most about your old city?" Compared to L.A. - The ocean or any kind of proximity to water (reservoirs are too far away,) culturally "fitting in" into a much larger city, being around more mature / professional people.

3. "What's noticeably better in your new city?" - I do appreciate Denver's year round weather and greenery over L.A. for sure. The streets in the spring and summer are more comparable to where I grew up in New Jersey than anywhere in the West. Denver is still by far more affordable than L.A. even with the costs rising. It also has a much better bar and happy hour scene than L.A., IMHO.

Verdict so far: In L.A. I might have been bored at times, but in Denver I'm way more stressed out and moody (even borderline angry) and less chill. I'm considering going back to L.A. for the fall on a temporary basis and if/when I do return, it will probably be after the Holidays. I think I need a break from the middle of the country, unfortunately (at risk of sounding like a bi-coastal elitist but whatever).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City