Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Baltimore 108 63.16%
San Jose 63 36.84%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 07:27 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Why do you defend Baltimore since you don't live there? Boggles the mind
Umm because I like Baltimore and all the other older, urban, cultured, major cities in the Northeast. So is it your argument that nobody can support a city they don't live in? That's news to me and this entire forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 07:33 AM

23,451 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Do you have a problem with people defending San Jose if they don't live there??
No the real problem is getting bested in an argument and questioning the motives of your opponent as a counterstrategy.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:37 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
No the real problem is getting bested in an argument and questioning the motives of your opponent as a counterstrategy.
That probably has something to do with the fact that SJ has lost every single thread up against every single city lol

Old 06-21-2018, 07:59 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Baltimore’s advantages stem from being a large historic city port city that was wealthy and prominent for a long time. This means it has a long legacy of cultural endowments such as a prominent university, music school, museums, etc. It also has interesting historic neighborhoods and quite a bit of interesting historic architecture. On top of that, its neighborhoods are often built nicely on a pedestrian scale and its cost of living is quite low.

However, San Jose is economically doing much better and its crime rate is much lower while its public school system is markedly better. With the money it has now, San Jose is trying to build up its cultural institutions and improve its streetscape and transit system. There’s also the weather which I think a majority of people would find favorable compared to Baltimore’s.

Baltimore can probably turn itself around pretty well if its state government and suburbs weren’t as antagonistic towards it and if Baltimore’s political system were less dysfunctional. It’d also help if Baltimore worked on its strengths of being so close to the booming DC region and strongly invested in its port operations as well as getting its transit system better integrated with the DC area so that it can attract residents and companies/organizations from there into its orbit.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:54 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Baltimore’s advantages stem from being a large historic city port city that was wealthy and prominent for a long time. This means it has a long legacy of cultural endowments such as a prominent university, music school, museums, etc. It also has interesting historic neighborhoods and quite a bit of interesting historic architecture. On top of that, its neighborhoods are often built nicely on a pedestrian scale and its cost of living is quite low.

However, San Jose is economically doing much better and its crime rate is much lower while its public school system is markedly better. With the money it has now, San Jose is trying to build up its cultural institutions and improve its streetscape and transit system. There’s also the weather which I think a majority of people would find favorable compared to Baltimore’s.

Baltimore can probably turn itself around pretty well if its state government and suburbs weren’t as antagonistic towards it and if Baltimore’s political system were less dysfunctional. It’d also help if Baltimore worked on its strengths of being so close to the booming DC region and strongly invested in its port operations as well as getting its transit system better integrated with the DC area so that it can attract residents and companies/organizations from there into its orbit.
SJ has already built its cultural inst. and it's just as good as any city. Tech Museum is iconic, no other tech museum exist anywhere. Children museum is one of the best, along with public library. The city gets all the major touring acts, broadway and rock concerts alike.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:48 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You're leaving out the apartment complex breaking ground in Federal Hill, or the new tower underway in Harbor East, or Little Italy, or Calvert Street, and the many older building being gutted out and turned into condos. And those are just the projects that I can think of off the top of my head.
Yeah, it looked like there was a decent amount of new construction along with several newer high-end buildings going on along the Harbor when we were back there in October. The Pendry Hotel rehab at Fells Point is stunning

All I'll say is our visit there was really precipitated by the lack of flights into Pittsburgh which was our primary destination to visit friends and that city but we got a super cheap (red-eye ugh!) flight to Baltimore and so we decided to stay a couple of nights to check out the city and we loved it.

Stunning historical architecture/neighborhoods, great density, gorgeous harbor, great museums and decent free bus system downtown to take advantage of. Ate twice at Thames Oyster House we loved it so much and met some great local gals at the bar to give us the scoop about the city. Also became locals at the Saturday Morning Cafe downtown for breakfast and met some great locals there.

There was a sense of a Tale of Two Cities there, prosperous and educated vs desperate and downtrodden, but not so different than most great cities I've been to. We never felt uncomfortable or unsafe there, although we are pretty city savvy and know how to get around most places without getting ourselves in trouble.

We definitely desire to visit the city again.

I would have no reason to visit San Jose. I lived in Cambell growing up and am very familiar with the city.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:05 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Yeah, it looked like there was a decent amount of new construction along with several newer high-end buildings going on along the Harbor when we were back there in October. The Pendry Hotel rehab at Fells Point is stunning

All I'll say is our visit there was really precipitated by the lack of flights into Pittsburgh which was our primary destination to visit friends and that city but we got a super cheap (red-eye ugh!) flight to Baltimore and so we decided to stay a couple of nights to check out the city and we loved it.

Stunning historical architecture/neighborhoods, great density, gorgeous harbor, great museums and decent free bus system downtown to take advantage of. Ate twice at Thames Oyster House we loved it so much and met some great local gals at the bar to give us the scoop about the city. Also became locals at the Saturday Morning Cafe downtown for breakfast and met some great locals there.

There was a sense of a Tale of Two Cities there, prosperous and educated vs desperate and downtrodden, but not so different than most great cities I've been to. We never felt uncomfortable or unsafe there, although we are pretty city savvy and know how to get around most places without getting ourselves in trouble.

We definitely desire to visit the city again.

I would have no reason to visit San Jose. I lived in Cambell growing up and am very familiar with the city.
Don't need to visit Baltimore since San Diego is a cool city.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:08 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Why do you defend Baltimore since you don't live there? Boggles the mind
As a Baltimore resident I am often forced to defend my decision to live there. That seems odd to me. If someone likes someplace and wants to live there, why should they need to defend their choice? The critics seem to demand that everyone share their values, interests, point of view, etc. To me, that indicates a lack of confidence in one's own decisions, resulting in a need for external affirmation.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:24 PM

6,724 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Wrong Bay Area location to compare Baltimore to. San Quentin Prison vs. Baltimore would be more reasonable.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:33 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
San Jose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City