Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Phoenix 99 67.81%
Albuquerque 47 32.19%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 09:14 AM

345 posts, read 803,459 times

Advertisements

both not too far from each other but one much bigger than the other.

based on

quality of life
activities
scenery
dining
shopping
entertainment
nightlife
economy
crime rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 10:57 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Phoenix by far

Old 03-04-2016, 11:02 AM

32 posts, read 45,541 times
Phoenix and it isn't close

Old 03-04-2016, 11:52 AM

448 posts, read 585,704 times
Albuquerque for me because Phoenix is too big and a lot uglier.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:59 AM

8,513 posts, read 10,029,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
Albuquerque for me because Phoenix is too big and a lot uglier.
LOL...really? I wasn't planning to talk trash about ABQ, but there are far more attractive areas in the Phoenix metro than what you will find in ABQ.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:33 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
LOL...really? I wasn't planning to talk trash about ABQ, but there are far more attractive areas in the Phoenix metro than what you will find in ABQ.
This. Albuquerque has beautiful scenery, but Phoenix is a prettier city overall.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:57 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,717,630 times
Phoenix is one of the largest metros in the nation of course it's going to win the thread in most of those criteria.

However as someone who lives in Phoenix for half the year now and was raised there I'd rather live in Albuquerque. I dislike a lot of things about Phoenix but that's my personal opinion. It has nothing to do with the criteria listed, as I already stated Phoenix would do better on those. I personally believe my quality of life would be better in Albuquerque. But that would be my quality of life and I couldn't speak for anyone else.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:08 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,902,945 times
quality of life - PHX
activities - PHX
scenery - ABQ
dining - PHX
shopping - PHX
entertainment - PHX
nightlife - PHX
economy - PHX
crime rate - PHX

Old 03-05-2016, 10:25 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,602,060 times
Phoenix is nice, but it has never impressed me as a city. It's true that it is much bigger but for the most part it just feels like a bigger version of Albuquerque with a greater volume of what you will find here. Nothing there is really spectacularly or amazingly better than Albuquerque, IMO. Phoenix has the same problems as Albuquerque when it comes to crime, poverty, education and its economy. On its economy, consider that Phoenix has a GDP per capita of $47,000 while Albuquerque is close behind at $46,000. Not much difference there. It's only when you account for overall size that Phoenix crushes Albuquerque. But again, it's more a matter of greater volume due to size as opposed to truly being spectacularly ahead or advanced.

As for scenery, yeah, Phoenix has a beautiful desert setting, but Albuquerque has plenty of unique things going for it which set it apart. The Bosque along the Rio Grande and the various irrigation ditches lush with vegetation really provide Albuquerque with a natural green. Phoenix for the most part has chosen to make itself unnaturally green. The greater amount of lush landscaping there may be beautiful, but is it really wise in the long run? A lot of Albuquerque can be ugly because of the amount of gravel yard zeroscaping (as opposed to actual xeriscaping), but at least it isn't squandering its precious water resources to make the desert green.

Let's not even get into the disparity in the amount of private pools and water-hogging golf courses between the two cities. I think these things illustrate the main differences between the two cities. Phoenix cares about appearances and Albuquerque for the most part couldn't give a f*ck. This can be a bad thing for Albuquerque, but I think in the long run people appreciate a city like ours much more than a city like Phoenix.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:50 PM

8,513 posts, read 10,029,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Phoenix is nice, but it has never impressed me as a city. It's true that it is much bigger but for the most part it just feels like a bigger version of Albuquerque with a greater volume of what you will find here. Nothing there is really spectacularly or amazingly better than Albuquerque, IMO. Phoenix has the same problems as Albuquerque when it comes to crime, poverty, education and its economy. On its economy, consider that Phoenix has a GDP per capita of $47,000 while Albuquerque is close behind at $46,000. Not much difference there. It's only when you account for overall size that Phoenix crushes Albuquerque. But again, it's more a matter of greater volume due to size as opposed to truly being spectacularly ahead or advanced.

As for scenery, yeah, Phoenix has a beautiful desert setting, but Albuquerque has plenty of unique things going for it which set it apart. The Bosque along the Rio Grande and the various irrigation ditches lush with vegetation really provide Albuquerque with a natural green. Phoenix for the most part has chosen to make itself unnaturally green. The greater amount of lush landscaping there may be beautiful, but is it really wise in the long run? A lot of Albuquerque can be ugly because of the amount of gravel yard zeroscaping (as opposed to actual xeriscaping), but at least it isn't squandering its precious water resources to make the desert green.

Let's not even get into the disparity in the amount of private pools and water-hogging golf courses between the two cities. I think these things illustrate the main differences between the two cities. Phoenix cares about appearances and Albuquerque for the most part couldn't give a f*ck. This can be a bad thing for Albuquerque, but I think in the long run people appreciate a city like ours much more than a city like Phoenix.
Yes, maybe ABQ people appreciate it more. I think ABQ is a cute little city, but I want to add that while it is true that Phoenix has a greater volume of what you'll find in ABQ, it also offers a greater variety and standard of things that you simply will not find in ABQ, no matter how you choose to word it.

Regarding water usage, AZ leads most other states in water conservation (including New Mexico I believe), so I'm not quite sure why you had to interject that tidbit, unless you're pulling at straws to find ways of expressing your disdain for Phoenix.

In any case, it appears that New Mexico residents prefer to visit Arizona more than any other state based upon hotel bookings according to this site (scroll down), so we must be offering something:
https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...a-top-our-list

Last edited by AZLiam; 03-05-2016 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City