Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Baltimore county 18 36.00%
Phoenix 15 30.00%
Atlanta 17 34.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 06:10 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Ya we get it, you moved to Phoenix and it didn't work out. Everyone on the PHX forum knows you well because of your crazy posts recently about how you dislike living near poor people. Mostly everything above is false or way over exaggerated. Based on your description, you aren't living in the best areas. In almost every area of Phoenix (besides ghetto areas) "green yard with flowers and plants" is the norm.

The OP works in the medical field and that is one area Phx excels in. We have tons of world class hospitals and destination hospitals. My sister in law pulls in 6 figures as a nurse here. When the winter visitors are in town she is getting 1 or 2 overtime shifts a week all at double time pay!
Honestly though. It's almost annoying how much he bad mouths phoenix. I really don't know what part of phoenix he lived in(my guess is south phoenix) because having a green yard with flowers is definitly a norm in Phoenix(as people can see from the google images I posted earlier). Furthermore, his whole theory Phoenix metro being way bigger in land mass compared to Atlanta as a reason why there is more traffic in Atlanta is false(and Atlanta metro having more density is false) seeing as the Atlanta urban area is the 4th largest in the world and Phoenix is number 28. Even though there is not a lot of density in Phoenix the Phoenix urban area is more dense than the Atlanta Urban area. Atlanta metro is known as the king of sprawl so I'm sure why he is trying to argue that Atlanta is home to super dense neighborhoods...

In all honesty I really like Atlanta and would move there in a heartbeat, but I think Phoenix metro is better and I also think it's a way better fit for the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 09:23 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I don't mean divert the intention of the post. I do think Atlanta is best personally by far.

Atlanta is a world-class metropolitan area with the worlds busiest airport and has 3 massive skylines within it's city limits. Baltimore to DC is 1/2 the distance of one end of the Phoenix metro area to another.

Baltimore residents have DC and all it's amenities at it's finger tips. An hour from Baltimore county and one can enjoy all DC's amenities at a fraction of the cost. An hour from Phoenix you have disguesting, dumpy small towns like Florence, Eloy and Casa Grande.

-Nightlife: The nightlife in Phoenix is hillariously tiny for a city of it's size. Tempe has Mill Street which is a few blocks and that's it and its only busy Friday and Saturday night. Scottsdale has Old Town Scottsdale which is clean but it has maybe a dozen night-life establishments at most. Atlanta has a very robust singles scene but Phoenix is a married city with large families.
It's not Mill Street, it's Mill Avenue and similarly, I think you haven't got a clue about the rest.

Quote:
-Weather. The winters are nicer but the summers are extremely hot with an average high of 106 but they get many days in 110-115 and then the cloudy, moonson days that are more like 100-105 and humid.
The night-time lows here many nights are in the 90s in the summer.
Its March 15th and its already in the 90s frequently, It was in the 90s in February. Soon it will be 100 degrees until October. Thats 6 months of 90s and above.
No, it has not been in the 90's frequently in February nor March, nor has it felt like it. I think you also purposely omitted the nighttime low temperatures.

Quote:
Your right no need to have a lush green yard with flowers and plants in Atlanta when one can have a gravel yard with some disguesting Mexican Fan Palm trees and a massive cactus that light green and brown in Phoenix. I dont consider a haboob that is thousands of feet tall a little dust.
So do you want Phoenicians to keep watering their yards or will you complain about that if they keep green lawns?

Quote:
-How is Phoenix cheap? A 2,000 square foot home in a decent suburb like Gilbert or Queen Creek is 300,000 dollars. Add on 500 dollar a month utility bills in the summer and 50 dollar a month HOA fees
If your utility bill was $500 each month, then someone was being irresponsible and wasteful. I live in a three bedroom home with high ceilings and a pool, and my utility bill never gets higher than $300 in the summer (and no HOA fee).

Quote:
-Highways are not crowded because its 100 miles from one part of the metro area to another. Unlike like Atlanta and Baltimore that have dense neighborhoods, Phoenix feels rural.
Huh? The urban area of Atlanta is more than twice the size of the urban area of Phoenix (in land area) without being twice the size population-wise.

Quote:
-Ghettos are better then Atlanta? I agree maybe the intensity of the ghettos arent as bad in Phoenix but the crappy areas go on and on for an eternity in Phoenix.

Phoenix also has ALOT of poverty compared to Atlanta and Baltimore. The ghetto's in Phoenix are filled with massive households living in substandard conditions. Maryvale is absolutely gross.
You do realize that Maryvale is a small percentage of the total metro population of over 4.5 million in Phoenix, right?

Quote:
-Dust and sand blowing around all the time is not as clean as lush, greenery like Atlanta or Baltimore
Dust and sand does not blow around all of the time in Phoenix, but your Phoenix "review" certainly does.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:14 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
It's not Mill Street, it's Mill Avenue and similarly, I think you haven't got a clue about the rest.

No, it has not been in the 90's frequently in February nor March, nor has it felt like it. I think you also purposely omitted the nighttime low temperatures.

So do you want Phoenicians to keep watering their yards or will you complain about that if they keep green lawns?

If your utility bill was $500 each month, then someone was being irresponsible and wasteful. I live in a three bedroom home with high ceilings and a pool, and my utility bill never gets higher than $300 in the summer (and no HOA fee).

Huh? The urban area of Atlanta is more than twice the size of the urban area of Phoenix (in land area) without being twice the size population-wise.

You do realize that Maryvale is a small percentage of the total metro population of over 4.5 million in Phoenix, right?

Dust and sand does not blow around all of the time in Phoenix, but your Phoenix "review" certainly does.
I found lovecrowd's comment puzzling but humorous about Phoenix seems rural.

Compared to midtown Manhattan there are some parts of the Phoenix area that might seem a little on the rural side but there are rural parts in almost all metropolitan areas, even Atlanta and Baltimore.

The poverty comments were just as bizarre, he seriously believes Phoenix has more poverty than Atlanta and Baltimore?

Something tells me he fell out of the knucklehead tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:11 AM

36 posts, read 53,363 times
Any insight on cost of living differences between phoenix and atlanta? The cost of living calculators are all over the place..

Old 03-17-2016, 04:20 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ9924 View Post
Any insight on cost of living differences between phoenix and atlanta? The cost of living calculators are all over the place..
Phoenix and Atlanta are both very sprawly, since both metros are so big, cost of living is going to depend on where you live in that metro. The only x factor is housing/rent which can vary wildly in Atlanta and Phoenix both. Do you know what areas you would be moving to?

Old 03-18-2016, 09:31 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
It's still mind boggling how small Phoenix's urban core is....it's shocking. Atlanta looks like an urban city compared to Phoenix.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:22 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's still mind boggling how small Phoenix's urban core is....it's shocking. Atlanta looks like an urban city compared to Phoenix.
Its very depressing taking a light-rail ride from 44th and Washington to Downtown Phoenix. The city really rolls out the red carpet with its deserted storefronts and used tire lots.

If you think that Phoenix core is small then you should see the adjacent neighborhoods. They have a a small highrise area with a few blocks of buildings on North Central but the neighborhoods west, east and south of downtown Phoenix are deserted and rural feeling. Almost like your in the middle of Kansas or something.

Atlanta has lots of single people and tourism with the world's busiest airport. Phoenix is basically all large families. It will never have the urban neighborhoods of most cities even a fraction it's size because the city only wants families with children living in Phoenix. They have a few multi-family housing units but they tend to want more single-family homes in it's core.

They make a big deal over a few new apartment buildings, but its a city thats nearly 3 times the population of Vancouver or Seattle and nearly 4 times that of Atlanta or Miami proper.

Even Salt Lake City with just over 1/10th of Phoenix population has a much more vibrant downtown then absolutely hillariously laughable downtown Phoenix.

Mesa is a city with a larger population then Atlanta or Miami with-in it's city limits and has a few outdated shops, one senior high-rise and a few fast food restaurants in it's weak downtown. Downtown Mesa is beyond awful and makes downtown Phoenix seem like a big city in comparison.

Another poster laughed at the fact I said Phoenix has more poverty then Baltimore County or Atlanta.
Lets compare the income profile per the 2014 American factfinder numbers from the Census:
Baltimore County, MD 9.7% poverty, Phoenix 23.3% poverty, Atlanta 23.8%.
Family poverty rate: 6.8% Baltimore County, MD: 18.1% Phoenix: 17.9% Atlanta
Per-Capita Income: 35,328 Baltimore County, MD: 24,563 Phoenix: 36,936 Atlanta

Despite, the residents of Phoenix pretentiousness and fascination with material objects looks like it lags far behind Baltimore County, MD and Atlanta.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 03-18-2016 at 02:36 PM..

Old 03-18-2016, 05:07 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,890 times
Baltimore is a real city. Atlanta and Phoenix aren't..

Old 03-18-2016, 07:13 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Its very depressing taking a light-rail ride from 44th and Washington to Downtown Phoenix. The city really rolls out the red carpet with its deserted storefronts and used tire lots.

If you think that Phoenix core is small then you should see the adjacent neighborhoods. They have a a small highrise area with a few blocks of buildings on North Central but the neighborhoods west, east and south of downtown Phoenix are deserted and rural feeling. Almost like your in the middle of Kansas or something.

Atlanta has lots of single people and tourism with the world's busiest airport. Phoenix is basically all large families. It will never have the urban neighborhoods of most cities even a fraction it's size because the city only wants families with children living in Phoenix. They have a few multi-family housing units but they tend to want more single-family homes in it's core.

They make a big deal over a few new apartment buildings, but its a city thats nearly 3 times the population of Vancouver or Seattle and nearly 4 times that of Atlanta or Miami proper.

Even Salt Lake City with just over 1/10th of Phoenix population has a much more vibrant downtown then absolutely hillariously laughable downtown Phoenix.

Mesa is a city with a larger population then Atlanta or Miami with-in it's city limits and has a few outdated shops, one senior high-rise and a few fast food restaurants in it's weak downtown. Downtown Mesa is beyond awful and makes downtown Phoenix seem like a big city in comparison.

Another poster laughed at the fact I said Phoenix has more poverty then Baltimore County or Atlanta.
Lets compare the income profile per the 2014 American factfinder numbers from the Census:
Baltimore County, MD 9.7% poverty, Phoenix 23.3% poverty, Atlanta 23.8%.
Family poverty rate: 6.8% Baltimore County, MD: 18.1% Phoenix: 17.9% Atlanta
Per-Capita Income: 35,328 Baltimore County, MD: 24,563 Phoenix: 36,936 Atlanta

Despite, the residents of Phoenix pretentiousness and fascination with material objects looks like it lags far behind Baltimore County, MD and Atlanta.
Boy, you certainly have a flair for the dramatic - low-balling and distorting what you don't like and embellishing and inflating what you are trying to pimp or boast about. In any case, I understand that some people will not succeed everywhere they go.

BTW, I just wanted to point out that just because Atlanta is the busiest airport in the world in terms of passenger travel (primarily a connecting hub), it doesn't equate to an overabundance of single people and tourism for the city. Atlanta still has a lower O&D percentage-wise and is more on par with Phoenix Sky Harbor despite having almost 60 million more people flying in and out of there each year.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:26 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Well, Atlanta had nearly 50 million visitors last year so yeah....Atlanta also does have a lot of single people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City