Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities would you choose?
Kansas City 64 29.91%
Pittsburgh 123 57.48%
Indianapolis 38 17.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:42 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
How does having a larger population base skew per capita numbers?
huge swaths of suburban areas with no/few murders make the city seem safer.
If Pittsburgh Annexed some surrounding towns then the murder rate would go down but the old city limits would not become any safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 07:37 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
huge swaths of suburban areas with no/few murders make the city seem safer.
If Pittsburgh Annexed some surrounding towns then the murder rate would go down but the old city limits would not become any safer.

That makes no sense. The homicide per capita of a city has nothing to do with land mass.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:49 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I've been to Kansas City once.

I went on a summer afternoon several years back to see the Royals and eat at Arthur Bryants. I ate at Arthur Bryant, and it was probably the most underwhelming, overpriced BBQ I ever ate. I had the local radio on and there was a bomb threat downtown and a killing in one of the Royals' parking lots. I never had any desire to go back.

I agree with the comments about Indy being stale/generic. There is a lot of big box development and vinyl villages, and little interesting architecture or scenery in and around the metro. In spite of its size and outside sports and conventions, there is little to nothing interesting about the place.

One also needs to remember that while the city limits of Indianapolis are large, the city/county limits were made coterminus (Unigov) years ago and many areas that are in the "city limits" are suburban or even quasi-rural. In the linked image below, virtually everything around I-74 is rural - it's mostly cornfields from the border to the 465 line. The east side of the I-70 is basically all SFH vinyl villages and doesn't feel like part of the city at all. Same for the area around the airport - the airport is way out of the way and there is little to nothing out there. I think you could easily lop off everything outside 465 (other than Castleton) and still have less of an urban feel than many other cities. If you take truly urban Indianapolis, the crime numbers would be a lot higher - I'd say they are diluted quite a bit by the tame areas on the edges of the county.

https://www.maptechnica.com/us-city-...14578389939850

Old 03-16-2016, 08:52 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've been to Kansas City once.

I went on a summer afternoon several years back to see the Royals and eat at Arthur Bryants. I ate at Arthur Bryant, and it was probably the most underwhelming, overpriced BBQ I ever ate. I had the local radio on and there was a bomb threat downtown and a killing in one of the Royals' parking lots. I never had any desire to go back.
Interesting perspective. I actually liked Arthur Bryant's. They gave me too many pieces of bread, though. There's plenty of other BBQ in Kansas City anyway, so if you don't like one place, you still have options. I also enjoyed the time I spent in Kansas City. It sounds to me like you were there on a bad day. Bomb threats and sports-related violence aren't normal.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:08 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,709 times
Quote:
That makes no sense. The homicide per capita of a city has nothing to do with land mass.
Some cities have larger city limits than others which can dilute the stats.

If you base it off metro area for 2014, Pittsburgh's rate was 5.4/100k, KC's was 6.6/100k and Indy's was 7.9/100k. All three of them increased in 2015 too.

So as a metro area, Indy is the worst. The city just has huge boundaries that dilute the city's stats.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...abledatadecpdf

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...tables/table-6

Last edited by joeyg2014; 03-16-2016 at 09:23 AM..

Old 03-16-2016, 10:21 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post

If you base it off metro area for 2014, Pittsburgh's rate was 5.4/100k, KC's was 6.6/100k and Indy's was 7.9/100k. All three of them increased in 2015 too.

So as a metro area, Indy is the worst. The city just has huge boundaries that dilute the city's stats.

You're moving the goal post.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:35 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised at all by this. These are just the shootings/violent incidents I've seen come across my NBC app alert over the last few days.

One dead in urban Indianapolis shooting this morning.

One dead, another injured after east side shooting - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Woman dead in another Indianapolis shooting Monday morning.

Woman fatally shot on her northwest Indianapolis doorstep - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Liquor store employee shot and killed, dated 3/12.

Liquor store employee shot and killed - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Off-duty firefighter shot in weekend incident.

PHOTOS: IMPD releases images of suspect in shooting of IFD off-d - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Another shot in urban Indianapolis shooting yesterday.

Person shot on Indianapolis north side - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Man shot in Good Samaritan act in upscale suburb of Indianapolis (not counted in city crime stats).

Zionsville shooting - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Attacker goes after someone with a samurai sword in a good part of town.

Sword attack: Noon update - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

I have apps for WSMV in Nashville and WFLA in Tampa and there doesn't appear to be anywhere near the amount of violence in those places as in Indianapolis. If you are looking into Indy as a relocation spot, and follow the local media, these crime stats will scare the hell out of you.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:37 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,676,468 times
I can't give my take since I have never been to any of these cities. But if I had to choose which ones I would live in, probably a toss up between Kansas City and Pittsburgh, with Indianapolis a distant third. It interests me the least.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:10 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
You're moving the goal post.
Indianapolis and Kansas City moved the goalposts themselves, the moment they both annexed large swathes of suburban and rural land after World War II. Pittsburgh never had that luxury. It's why Indianapolis covers 365 square miles, and Kansas City covers 319 square miles, but Pittsburgh only covers 55 square miles.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:26 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
That's what I thought too, forgetting the actual city proper populations. It's still bad though.
Yeah I guess a better way to say it would be that my perception is skewed, mostly because I more or less ignore city limits and tend to categorize the size of what I think of as "cities" by the urbanized areas not the city proper numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City