Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities would you choose?
Kansas City 64 29.91%
Pittsburgh 123 57.48%
Indianapolis 38 17.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 11:47 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I would never mention transplants, nor have I heard anyone make that argument for Richmond, because I'd agree that is ridiculous. I can make an argument that it's a little ridiculous to say that Richmond is in different region than DC and Baltimore, and I can make that argument intelligently and thought-provoking using data and anecdotal support...

This is further proving that the regions of this country, all of them, are probably in further dispute today than ever before. While most people probably still consider Richmond southern, it's not anywhere near an amount of people that could be described as a universal consensus. I've heard for over 16+ years how not southern Richmond is from people from all over the country...
That’s fair. I think you would find more people who put DC and Baltimore in the south then would put Richmond in the Northeast. Both would be wrong. I think we have some subregions (mid-Atlantic, Appalachia, Ozarks etc) that overlap the greater regions. Richmond, DC and Baltimore are all in the mid Atlantic subregion. Baltimore is definitely in the Northeast, and Richmond is definitely in the south. I could see DC going either way, but personally I put it in the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 11:51 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Longitudinally, Pittsburgh is farther east than the entire state of Florida, but no, it's not in the Northeast.

By car, Pittsburgh is at least an hour closer to New York than Chicago, but no, it's not in the Northeast.

By survey, Pittsburgh was placed in Pennsylvania clear back in 1780, but no, it's not in the Northeast.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:16 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
So anyway. These types of discussions tend to go on forever. Maybe this thread should get back to talking about three cities instead of one.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Longitudinally, Pittsburgh is farther east than the entire state of Florida, but no, it's not in the Northeast.

By car, Pittsburgh is at least an hour closer to New York than Chicago, but no, it's not in the Northeast.

By survey, Pittsburgh was placed in Pennsylvania clear back in 1780, but no, it's not in the Northeast.
I agree Pittsburgh is in the northeast. However, distance to Chicago has nothing to do with what section of the country Pittsburgh is in. To get to Chicago from Pittsburgh, you have to cross two midwestern states, Ohio and Indiana, and into a third, Illinois. By car, Pittsburgh is about 1 hour, max, to Ohio.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I agree Pittsburgh is in the northeast. However, distance to Chicago has nothing to do with what section of the country Pittsburgh is in. To get to Chicago from Pittsburgh, you have to cross two midwestern states, Ohio and Indiana, and into a third, Illinois. By car, Pittsburgh is about 1 hour, max, to Ohio.
An urbanologist I talked to many years ago once told me that a practical border between the Northeast and Midwest is based on proximity to New York versus Chicago. If you're closer to New York, then you're in the Northeast. If you're closer to Chicago, then you're in the Midwest.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:25 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
An urbanologist I talked to many years ago once told me that a practical border between the Northeast and Midwest is based on proximity to New York versus Chicago. If you're closer to New York, then you're in the Northeast. If you're closer to Chicago, then you're in the Midwest.
I've never heard it before that I remember, but it sounds reasonable. Although this again kind of brings up the disparity in region sizes. Chicago is practically in the middle of the midwest; some would even put it in the eastern half of the midwest --- whereas NYC is practically on the edge of the northeast. Which illustrates just how narrow the northeast is relative to the other regions.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I've never heard it before that I remember, but it sounds reasonable. Although this again kind of brings up the disparity in region sizes. Chicago is practically in the middle of the midwest; some would even put it in the eastern half of the midwest --- whereas NYC is practically on the edge of the northeast. Which illustrates just how narrow the northeast is relative to the other regions.
I never heard that saying before either, and I'm a little skeptical of an "urbanologist"'s opinion.

It is 371 miles from Pittsburgh to NYC; 460 to Chicago. Not *that* much difference, less than 100 miles.
Source: Google

I agree the midwest is a large area, and has lots of sub-areas, e.g. the Upper Midwest, the Great Lakes States, the Great Plains, etc. Some of these overlap.

Another narrow region is the west coast, to which some people inexplicably add Idaho, Nevada and Arizona, the latter two of which are mostly desert.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:07 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
True to some degree... but the size of the area that is nearly universally recognized as the South (From Richmond down to Florida, and west to the Mississipi), is HUGE, compared to the thin narrow band of land of the Bos-Wash corridor (and some would say just the Bos-Phi corridor). Literally like ten times the land area or more. Same large difference probably would be for the almost universally agreed upon definition of the midwest, and even larger for the western regions of the country. Those core definitons of the other regions are all massive, compared to the ones some consider to be the northeast.
That's interesting since Boston is the major city that's farthest removed from the other major cities in the corridor. You could make a case for calling it the NYC-Wash corridor before calling it the Bos-Phi corridor IMO.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:05 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,222 times
This repeated discussion over geography is a bit over the top. It all started when I called Pittsburgh the most affordable city on the East Coast, and then admittedly meant to say Northeast. The U.S Census Bureau does indeed classify Pittsburgh as the Northeast. Just because Pennsylvania borders Ohio does not mean it does denote it as Midwest. I think any more discussion on geography is absolutely silly.

Here is a map that displays the Economic Geography of the United States: From Commutes to Megaregions.
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0166083

Pittsburgh's core and its suburbs run continuous North/South from the core and share its influence most strongly along those borders with little to zero connection west of the Ohio border. You can clearly see the lines for other geographic regions.

Especially when points were made comparing the economic diversity of these cities and all was ignored but the focus on geographic regions comparisons in the U.S continued.

I think we should stick to the Indianapolis. Kansas City. Pittsburgh.

Not discussion whether Richmond is the South or not.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 03-13-2018 at 09:18 PM..

Old 03-13-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Another narrow region is the west coast, to which some people inexplicably add Idaho, Nevada and Arizona, the latter two of which are mostly desert.
The difference is, nobody disputes that there is also an Interior West in addition to the West Coast, but many people dispute that there is an Interior Northeast to go with the East Coast, which doesn't make any sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City