Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 09:10 AM

40 posts, read 48,271 times

Advertisements

i currently live in Austin and been recently to Seattle, although they are similar in many ways in my opinion Seattle is more walkable and seems to be more fun to hangout. I consider to move and give it a try
My current position is Microsoft system administrator and would to keep my proffesion in Seattle, currently I make 60k in Austin and live well within 2 miles s to downtown.
What's the equivalent is necessary to make it in Seattle? Is there lot of IT positions? In general what city from
Both consider more in the hi-tech industry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 09:14 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Performance:
01. San Francisco Bay Area
02. New York
03. Boston
04. Los Angeles
08. Chicago
12. Seattle
14. Toronto
16. Austin
18. Vancouver
19. Montreal

Funding:
02. New York
03. Boston
04. Los Angeles
11. Seattle
12. Chicago
14. Austin
17. Montreal
18. Toronto
19. Vancouver

Market Reach:
01. New York
02. Los Angeles
04. San Francisco Bay Area
05. Chicago
07. Boston
12. Seattle
14. Toronto
15. Vancouver
16. Montreal
18. Austin

Talent:
04. Seattle
05. Austin

09. New York
10. Los Angeles
11. Chicago
12. Boston
13. Montreal
14. Vancouver
15. Toronto

Startup Experience:
02. Austin
03. Seattle

04. New York
05. Los Angeles
07. Boston
11. Vancouver
14. Chicago
17. Montreal
18. Toronto

The comprehensive chart.

The World

Overall: Seattle. Larger tech city and tech market. Both are among the top tech cities on the planet, one of them even more so (Seattle). Both are comparably diverse tech markets as well, they have a broad presence in most, if not all, tech sub-industries.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:33 AM

40 posts, read 48,271 times
Default Thanks for the statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Performance:
02. New York
03. Boston
04. Los Angeles
08. Chicago
12. Seattle
14. Toronto
16. Austin
18. Vancouver
19. Montreal

Funding:
02. New York
03. Boston
04. Los Angeles
11. Seattle
12. Chicago
14. Austin
17. Montreal
18. Toronto
19. Vancouver

Market Reach:
01. New York
02. Los Angeles
04. San Francisco Bay Area
05. Chicago
07. Boston
12. Seattle
14. Toronto
15. Vancouver
16. Montreal
18. Austin

Talent:
04. Seattle
05. Austin

09. New York
10. Los Angeles
11. Chicago
12. Boston
13. Montreal
14. Vancouver
15. Toronto

Startup Experience:
02. Austin
03. Seattle

04. New York
05. Los Angeles
07. Boston
11. Vancouver
14. Chicago
17. Montreal
18. Toronto

The comprehensive chart.

The World

Overall: Seattle. Larger tech city and tech market. Both are among the top tech cities on the planet, one of them even more so (Seattle). Both are comparably diverse tech markets as well, they have a broad presence in most, if not all, tech sub-industries.
I was happy to see tel aviv ranked above many cities

Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,319 times
I do IT consulting and travel all over. I can tell you with confidence that a Microsoft tech (SSCM, AD, Sharepoint, Servers, power shell, etc) will make more on average in Seattle than Austin. Probably a good $15k to $25k more once you have 10+ years under your belt. The starting salaries are probably similar. Ending salaries? Not so much.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:47 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Let's get back to the OP...Seattle vs. Austin in tech...

Seattle is way ahead.

If you go beyond tech, into other variables, then there is a debate. I think this it where is becomes subjective, and everyone has an opinion.

My opinion, FTW, is Seattle/Eastside is probably more bland than Austin. However, this is not a bad thing, as Seattle/Eastside is growing faster and offers more growth into the 20's. So, where do you want to be? A cool, hip, music town like Austin, or a huge tech center that will continue to grow this century?

Old 03-21-2016, 10:45 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times
I think the issue on tech is rather settled.

I am curious as to why Austin would be regarded as more "hip" than Seattle. Seattle is far more denser with walkable neighborhoods big into the cafe/pub culture. Austin, meanwhile, comes across as rather sprawling and auto-centric, and therefore nothing like the walkable cafe/micro-brew culture that can be found in Seattle.

While I'm aware that Austin's 6th Street is popular as a nightlife area, this area is still made up of low-rise buildings that Austin's young folks commute into from its more suburban parts. I can't really picture which Austin neighborhood compares to Capitol Hill, Ballard, Belltown, or even Fremont/Columbia City in terms of local amenities that support a pedestrian lifestyle.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:52 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Yes, agreed.

However, Austin does have a more concentrated area of hip bars, etc. Seattle/Bellevue is more spread out takes transportation to get around...cabs, uber, or personal cars, (hopefully with a DSDVR)

Old 03-21-2016, 10:59 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yes, agreed.

However, Austin does have a more concentrated area of hip bars, etc. Seattle/Bellevue is more spread out takes transportation to get around...cabs, uber, or personal cars, (hopefully with a DSDR)
That's quite true. I live in Cap Hill and would love to spend more Sunday mornings at the Ballard Market, but there's really no convenient means to get there besides having to walk to downtown just to catch a bus. Seattle definitely could use more neighborhood-to-neighborhood connectors.

And yeah, Downtown Bellevue is mostly full of frat guys and woo girls; Bellevue/Eastside is definitely yuppie rather than hip.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:32 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I think the issue on tech is rather settled.

I am curious as to why Austin would be regarded as more "hip" than Seattle. Seattle is far more denser with walkable neighborhoods big into the cafe/pub culture. Austin, meanwhile, comes across as rather sprawling and auto-centric, and therefore nothing like the walkable cafe/micro-brew culture that can be found in Seattle.

While I'm aware that Austin's 6th Street is popular as a nightlife area, this area is still made up of low-rise buildings that Austin's young folks commute into from its more suburban parts. I can't really picture which Austin neighborhood compares to Capitol Hill, Ballard, Belltown, or even Fremont/Columbia City in terms of local amenities that support a pedestrian lifestyle.
Although it's a bit off-topic: Clarksville, Tarrytown, Bouldin, Zilker, Holly, East Cesar Chavez, Riverside, Mueller, Hyde Park, Hancock, North Loop, Rosewood, and anything around UT campus all have varying elements of what you describe.

Of course Austin is more car-centric and suburban and less dense than Seattle. But usually when people only mention 6th Street when talking about nightlife and such, it's a dead giveaway that their knowledge is somewhat limited.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:36 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,565 times
What MtnLion512 stated. Austin has a variety of local neighborhoods in and around downtown, maybe not as many as Seattle since I never been, so I couldn't say. But 6th Street in general is just a tourist attraction. It doesn't represent all of Austin, just small a part of it. As for which city would have more IT, I would say Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City