Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 05:06 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't be surprised if the suburbs aren't rebounding and the city cores start losing population. I'm seeing it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 05:07 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the suburbs aren't rebounding and the city cores start losing population. I'm seeing it here.
Would that really be a new trend in Pittsburgh though? I thought it only recently registered a gain in estimates after nearly 50 years of declines in city proper no?

Old 03-22-2016, 05:17 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
By 2020, very high.

Chicago by estimations, even in a slower state will pass it by 2020 as long as it doesn't take any more steps back in raw numbers. The Washington DC-Baltimore CSA will almost assuredly do it about a year maybe two before 2020. It is going to start closing the gap rather fast, the region actually has a high level of immigration and natural increase, despite being in the red for domestic migration it is easily offset as it is.

The San Francisco Bay Area, if it persists as it is on course right now will be en-route to 9.1 million by the 2020 census and almost 100% chance Modesto-Merced come aboard in the 2023 census redefinitions. Wendell Cox has actually been monitoring the migration and commuting from Central Valley into the San Francisco Bay Area and the commuting rate is increasing radically. In addition to that, the fastest growing counties (in percentage terms) in all of California are watershed Central Valley exurbs of the San Francisco Bay Area now. That addition will put it at over 10 million by the time 2023 rolls around. Stockton-Modesto? Say hello to the Inland Empire North.

Top 5 cemented.

I guess these CSAs though become a little crazy

like I mean really what do Dulles and Whitemarsh MD have in common etc. They don't feel like one big place to me anymore then do say a NYC and Philly in this regard, which are not and separate

And Stockton, sure commuters but to me the Bay is the inner bay and feels large but not 10 million , more like 5-6 million which the core is

Chicago (or LA or NYC obviously) feel a ton bigger to me as one place and not extended or connected exurbs

always interesting to see the growth rates though

Old 03-22-2016, 05:25 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I don't always agree with Monty but to me the urban area (as he called out) is probably a better measure > 10 Million UA is mega city in this regard as a better barometer for me
Yeah, I agree with that as well. Urban Area has always been my preferred measure for gauging the actual size of the city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

I also agree with the previous statement. The South American group along with the 3 current North Americans and Chicago.

The thing with the megacity definition though is that it is just a technical designation. Technically those areas will become megacities but I agree, in the strict sense of feeling like a "megacity" in the vein of places like the ones like New York or Mexico City or Los Angeles, they wont have that feel (save for Chicago).

Here's a snapshot of the urban area core of these places:

- Chicago Urban Area: 9,156,000
- Washington DC Urban Area + Baltimore Urban Area: 7,152,000
- Toronto Urban Area: 6,456,000
- San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland Urban Area: 5,929,000

I combined Washington DC and Baltimore for comparisons sake but it left out all of the other filler areas that are in their CSA (Hagerstown, so on).

Chicago:

Washington DC-Baltimore:

San Francisco Bay Area:

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-22-2016 at 06:45 PM..

Old 03-22-2016, 05:34 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:

Florida:
2010-2011: + 306,590
2011-2012: + 247,357
2012-2013: + 245,054
2013-2014: + 292,986
2014-2015: + 366,703
Going back to this one (^) for a second.

Given that Florida accelerated by nearly 74,000 in 2015 compared to what it did in comparable timeframe in 2014, I wonder which PCSA in Florida absorbed the bulk of that speed up.

That's an insane speed up, by the way, for a one year period. I get a feeling that it was Greater Orlando.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:47 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times
Quote:
That's an insane speed up, by the way, for a one year period. I get a feeling that it was Greater Orlando.
I would bet on it as well.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:22 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Would that really be a new trend in Pittsburgh though? I thought it only recently registered a gain in estimates after nearly 50 years of declines in city proper no?
Those old stats have been repeatedly quoted on here but the last 2014 figures showed the city losing population. I am seeing the reverse migration with my coworkers and friends. Most have moved out of the county. Plus the current rise in crime isn't going to lure people to the city.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:35 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,481 times
Quote:
Yeah, I agree with that as well. Urban Area has always been my preferred measure for gauging the actual size of the city.

I also agree with the previous statement. The South American group along with the 3 current North Americans and Chicago.

The thing with the megacity definition though is that it is just a technical designation. Technically those areas will become megacities but I agree, in the strict sense of feeling like a "megacity" in the vein of places like the ones like New York or Mexico City or Los Angeles, they wont have that feel (save for Chicago).

Here's a snapshot of the urban area core of these places:

- Chicago Urban Area: 9,156,000
- Washington DC Urban Area + Baltimore Urban Area: 7,152,000
- Toronto Urban Area: 6,456,000
- San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland Urban Area: 5,929,000

I combined Washington DC and Baltimore for comparisons sake but it left out all of the other filler areas that are in their CSA (Hagerstown, so on).

Chicago:

Washington DC-Baltimore:

San Francisco Bay Area:
If these visuals are same scale, I can see how the Bay area would give Chicagoland a run for its money.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:37 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Here's what Wikipedia says for it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megacity

By definition, it seems Chicago, Washington DC-Baltimore, San Francisco Bay Area, and Toronto's Greater Golden Horseshoe are all poised to be on-board literally sooner rather than later.

Megacity: 10 million - 19,999,999

Hypercity: 20 million - 39,999,999

Supercity: 40 million +

Los Angeles is en-route to joining New York and Mexico City as a hypercity in North America soon enough.
Thank you for looking it up, I wasnt sure.

For MSA it makes sense, but really it should work for CSA too because of the regionalism and commuter numbers the OMB mentions in their justification of recognizing CSAs.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:41 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Seattle will explode in these estimates. The city population will may be over 700K. The metro will also show double digit growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City