Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 10:53 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times

Advertisements

What kinds of negatives has the large population growth in Texas (namely DFW and Houston) had on the area? While it's a good thing populations are going up, surely there has to be some drawbacks to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 10:55 AM

451 posts, read 465,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
What kinds of negatives has the large population growth in Texas (namely DFW and Houston) had on the area? While it's a good thing populations are going up, surely there has to be some drawbacks to it.

Increased generic sprawl and an erosion of a common core culture.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:01 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
DFW is getting expensive with all the newcomers. Home prices and rent have skyrocketed.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 03-25-2016 at 12:04 PM..

Old 03-25-2016, 11:02 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Traffic and potentially crime. If half of Houston's metro growth was going into the central core, it would already an urban, walkable city.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:10 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
First, I think Houston being talked about so much is not that big of a deal considering it was the fastest growing metro area. Those landmarks the other metro areas reached don't take away from Houston leading the pack.

But are you sure those migrants are counted as domestic migrants and why only for Houston?

https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...gar_Land%2C_TX

Those domestic numbers show Houston to not be new to getting tens of thousands of domestic migrants. I think the city has become more popular to general Americans this century. It was at the bottom of the map and overlooked. Houston had a booming economy and was one of the top spots for STEM jobs in the country when most other metro areas were stagnant or losing jobs. I think that increased its profile. There is no way Central American immigrants are filling in all this new development.
I don't know...someone on another forum mentioned despite Atlanta having significantly less metro growth than Houston, Atlanta actually has higher incoming domestic migration than Houston does. Houston has significantly more natural growth(birth/death ratio) and immigration because how close it is to the border which is what really drives the numbers up there. I haven't actually checked the numbers myself so I can't confirm this.

Atlanta has always been a city though where it seems to be more popular among natives than among immigrants, probably because it's just not on a coastline or near a border.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:15 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't know...someone on another forum mentioned despite Atlanta having significantly less metro growth than Houston, Atlanta actually has higher incoming domestic migration than Houston does. Houston has significantly more natural growth(birth/death ratio) and immigration because how close it is to the border which is what really drives the numbers up there. I haven't actually checked the numbers myself so I can't confirm this.

Atlanta has always been a city though where it seems to be more popular among natives than among immigrants, probably because it's just not on a coastline or near a border.
Atlanta for sure has more domestic migration growth..for the reasons Red John stated. I just don't believe that Central American refugees are the source for the rise in Houston's domestic migration. That has been going on since the turn of the century. There has also been an uptick in international migrations numbers since 2009 for Houston.

Houston is simply more popular to Americans today. It use to be the overlooked Southern city out of the "Big 4"..

Old 03-25-2016, 11:36 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Quote:
High rents and home prices (although not at the level of more urbanized metros). In my view this is mostly due to builders not building enough supply however. DFW has no natural barriers and it has plenty of land so it shouldn't be increasing as much as it is.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:00 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
First, I think Houston being talked about so much is not that big of a deal considering it was the fastest growing metro area. Those landmarks the other metro areas reached don't take away from Houston leading the pack.

But are you sure those migrants are counted as domestic migrants and why only for Houston?

https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...gar_Land%2C_TX

Those domestic numbers show Houston to not be new to getting tens of thousands of domestic migrants. I think the city has become more popular to general Americans this century. It was at the bottom of the map and overlooked. Houston had a booming economy and was one of the top spots for STEM jobs in the country when most other metro areas were stagnant or losing jobs. I think that increased its profile. There is no way Central American immigrants are filling in all this new development.
Yeah, I'm finding that hard to believe too without a reliable source.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:14 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Yeah, I'm finding that hard to believe too without a reliable source.
Central Americans are going to Houston in huge numbers, unless you believe the federal govt. to not be a reliable source.

And Houston has less domestic in-migration than other Sunbelt metros, again, unless you believe the federal govt. to not be a reliable source.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:22 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Central Americans are going to Houston in huge numbers, unless you believe the federal govt. to not be a reliable source.

And Houston has less domestic in-migration than other Sunbelt metros, again, unless you believe the federal govt. to not be a reliable source.
Click the link I posted. Houston's domestic in-migration numbers have increased since 2000. This isn't the 90s anymore. I was questioning if the Central American immigrants are included as domestic migrants only for Houston, because that wouldn't make sense imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City