U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city is most fast paced?
Chicago 153 55.84%
Philadelphia 121 44.16%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 AM
 
Location: New York City
4,865 posts, read 4,506,319 times
Reputation: 2197

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
BTW, I think that Chicago is faster paced purely based on experience. It has nothing to do with population etc. Having spent a lot of time in both cities, Chicago just seems slightly faster paced. The suburbs of Chicago could be the suburbs of any Midwestern city, they are not different, only more of the same. But they are faster paced because they are set up for cars. People drive much faster on the wide freeways and large roads around Chicago than they do on the more narrow highways and side streets of suburban philly. People drive 55 around philly and 75-80+ around chicago. Now sidewalk activity in suburban Chicago is a different story.

The city itself to me seems faster paced than the city of philly. It definitely feels larger and more built up. Again, the streets and highways are bigger and deal with more traffic, but the sidewalks are just as busy and fast paced as Center City.

I live in the Philly suburbs and I don't have any side streets near me, aside from right near the downtown of the town i live in. Actually many streets in the northeast are very windy, with speed limits about 30-35mph, and people are flying around the bends at 45-50 mph. I walk in philly everyday, and if im not out of the way as soon as the light turns green, people honk, and basically try to run you over. I've never experienced that in any other city, aside from new york.

 
Old 10-06-2011, 01:16 PM
 
976 posts, read 1,807,471 times
Reputation: 599
philadelphia.
 
Old 10-06-2011, 02:35 PM
 
61 posts, read 54,623 times
Reputation: 22
Yo is this comical? Philly doesn't even hold a stick to Chicago.
 
Old 10-06-2011, 03:15 PM
 
11,015 posts, read 21,568,106 times
Reputation: 10641
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP Lane View Post
Exactly. Philly is more fast-paced. It has the East Coast feel, not the Midwest (slow drivers, slow walkers) feel.

Just walk down Michigan Ave. in Chicago. Slow, large, herds of people.
Haha, you point out the one street in the city that most any Chicagoan who actually needs to get somewhere will avoid because it's a mass of tourists wandering up and down.
 
Old 10-06-2011, 03:45 PM
 
5,807 posts, read 10,340,136 times
Reputation: 4306
Chicago has the faster paced greater downtown area (312)

Philadelphia I think has faster paced neighborhoods (equivalent to Chicagos 773).

If that makes any sense.

The fast paced-ness drops off somewhat quickly from downtown Chicago to the neighborhoods then even more so to the suburbs.

Like others mentioned the dense rowhouses of Philly, and the very close to other large cities in both directions so close, makes Philly a more fast paced metro area.
 
Old 10-06-2011, 03:48 PM
 
1,290 posts, read 1,502,560 times
Reputation: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Chicago has the faster paced greater downtown area (312)

Philadelphia I think has faster paced neighborhoods (equivalent to Chicagos 773).

If that makes any sense.

The fast paced-ness drops off somewhat quickly from downtown Chicago to the neighborhoods then even more so to the suburbs.

Like others mentioned the dense rowhouses of Philly, and the very close to other large cities in both directions so close, makes Philly a more fast paced metro area.
I agree with this.
 
Old 10-06-2011, 03:49 PM
 
5,807 posts, read 10,340,136 times
Reputation: 4306
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
BTW, I think that Chicago is faster paced purely based on experience. It has nothing to do with population etc. Having spent a lot of time in both cities, Chicago just seems slightly faster paced. The suburbs of Chicago could be the suburbs of any Midwestern city, they are not different, only more of the same. But they are faster paced because they are set up for cars. People drive much faster on the wide freeways and large roads around Chicago than they do on the more narrow highways and side streets of suburban philly. People drive 55 around philly and 75-80+ around chicago. Now sidewalk activity in suburban Chicago is a different story.

The city itself to me seems faster paced than the city of philly. It definitely feels larger and more built up. Again, the streets and highways are bigger and deal with more traffic, but the sidewalks are just as busy and fast paced as Center City.
Thats true of any metro area where you have lots of sprawl. This is true of Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, and metro Detroit too.

And I don't see how chicago burbs are more set up for cars. If anything, the metra stations scattered in the suburban downtowns make it a little less set up for cars.

Chicago does indeed have some ultra tall skyscraper taller than Phillies.
 
Old 10-06-2011, 03:53 PM
 
4,237 posts, read 3,287,874 times
Reputation: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
The thing is...it still could be some day, and certainly could hold a much higher daytime population at some point. Then, the original city planners dream will be realized and the wide streets will seem quite smart. They were modeled so they would have a more relaxed feel than the cities of the east at the time and of course.
Take a look at the Burnham plan here for instance...

genius to me actually....

check out this eco bridge


Chicago metro is still projected to grow quite a bit, despite the naysayers, which will include a packed centrally located downtown, of which, the wider streets will be very useful. Watch Michigan Ave roadways/foot traffic for instance, or the river at rush hour going back to trains/ogislvy/union station and you will see how this works out.
Now look how Chicago used to be around the turn of the 20th century.
Both cities today have about the same population density; however, Philly's metro abuts Washington, DC-Baltimore on its southern edge and the 20,000,000+ NYC metro to its north. So, despite Chicago's metro size, Philly is in the midst of the Washington-Boston megalopolis; hence, its busier feel.
 
Old 10-06-2011, 04:43 PM
|~
 
77 posts, read 126,031 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Philly bro View Post
Yo is this comical? Philly doesn't even hold a stick to Chicago.
Why are you so negative towards Philadelphia? Did you live on/near 21st & Sigel and had multiple run-ins. Unpaid gambling debts, right? Philadelphia's a nice place, give it a chance( or not). Philadelphia's faster than Chicago.
 
Old 10-06-2011, 04:50 PM
 
1,225 posts, read 1,505,203 times
Reputation: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by |~ View Post
Why are you so negative towards Philadelphia? Did you live on/near 21st & Sigel and had multiple run-ins. Unpaid gambling debts, right? Philadelphia's a nice place, give it a chance( or not). Philadelphia's faster than Chicago.
He lives in the San Jose section of South Philly. Right durf oops, I mean "South Philly bro"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top