U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most fast paced?
Chicago 153 55.84%
Philadelphia 121 44.16%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 03:26 PM

314 posts, read 346,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well if only there was a spell checker - my posts are poor in that regard
I have the same prob too at times.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:34 PM

4,664 posts, read 3,591,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
The thing is...it still could be some day, and certainly could hold a much higher daytime population at some point. Then, the original city planners dream will be realized and the wide streets will seem quite smart. They were modeled so they would have a more relaxed feel than the cities of the east at the time and of course.
Take a look at the Burnham plan here for instance...

genius to me actually....

check out this eco bridge

Chicago metro is still projected to grow quite a bit, despite the naysayers, which will include a packed centrally located downtown, of which, the wider streets will be very useful. Watch Michigan Ave roadways/foot traffic for instance, or the river at rush hour going back to trains/ogislvy/union station and you will see how this works out.
Now look how Chicago used to be around the turn of the 20th century.
The Burham Plan may have worked if it were completed; unfortunately it wasn't. The wide street plans didn't work out in Chicago because the population decentralized. The plan was designed with a much larger city population forecasted. Chances are, after 60 years of population decline, the city will never gain its population peak, let alone surpass it. The metro population has been growing the entire time the city has been shrinking so I'm not sure the downtown area will be ''packed'' again; certainly not like the turn of the century photo you displayed.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Rowhouses are a style and can add to the structual or footprint developed density but are not the highest density dweelings. They do factor into an urban feel but much of Chicago even without attached homes can be quite dense and very developed. To me a big difference on this aspect is the width of the streets in the two cities. Having said that I am not sure that this is by any means the distinguishing factor in pace so-to-speak. Pace is realtively fast in both places with maybe some nuances. To me they are pretty close and both have areas of slower pace. I judge pace in two ways, pace of business and the work environment (both in general are pretty fast though to me I will give a slight edge to philly here, most of my interactions with Chicago in business are less in your face. There is a midwest vibe that is noticable, especially from someone who is generally dealing with folks and companiens from Philly/NJ/NYC on a daily basis, but this may be less in your face and not truly pace so-to-speak). The second to me is the pace of life outside of work. Both areas have places that are very and much lower. Much depends on the environemtn and specific neighborhood to me. This aspect can be equated at times with the level of maintenance required by the indicdual - like how important is it to get my kids into the right school or why do i need to be at the new it restaurant. These aspects are neither good nor bad and have seen the mentality in both location.

Chicago and Philly are both large established cities with a pace that generally aligns with their culture and city rat race and will vary from individual to individual within each.
I know what you mean about the Chicago vibe...they like to claim they're ''tell it like it is" people but they don't like it when it happens...not the friendliest-open folks but I've heard it is the ''midwest reserve''

Old 10-15-2011, 01:00 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,000,573 times
Of course there's a chicago vibe. Its chicago.

What do you want? A honolulu vibe?

Old 10-15-2011, 01:16 PM

816 posts, read 1,582,497 times
Chicago is the bigger metropolis with more people out. But Philadelphia has the east coast pace/vibe that is obviously different than Chicago, and faster lifestyle. It's not NYC, but it is more like it than Chicago is amongst the populous. I was in NYC in July coming from Chicago and the difference was immediately felt, in fact it was dramatic. I don't have as much experience in Philadelphia but they are more or less cut from the same fabric from observations.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post

and it's not a good vibe...

Old 10-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post

And the post was about how Chicago is not ''in your face'' - the vibe I was referring to...is this vibe you're calling the "Chicago vibe"?

Old 10-15-2011, 04:30 PM

3,696 posts, read 4,517,686 times
i'm confused. the logic by some posters on this website, in majority, is absolutely laughable.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:18 PM

314 posts, read 346,144 times
Chicago definately doesn't have a "passive" vibe, far from it. Anyone who says that hasn't been there or is telling bed time stories.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:21 PM

816 posts, read 1,582,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC1980 View Post
Chicago definately doesn't have a "passive" vibe, far from it. Anyone who says that hasn't been there or is telling bed time stories.
Chicago has a blustery vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City