U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city is most fast paced?
Chicago 153 55.84%
Philadelphia 121 44.16%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2009, 11:37 PM
 
Location: NYC
457 posts, read 911,138 times
Reputation: 438

Advertisements

This is a tough one. They seem to be roughly equal in terms of city feel, Chicago just has more of it.

Chicago has bigger downtown and more active neighborhoods.

But, Philly has that urban east cost vibe w/ the scaled down-NYC style neighborhoods (Old City, Rittenhouse Sq, etc.)

IMO, they have more in common with each other in terms of pace than either of them have with mid sized cities like Pittsburgh or Milwaukee or mega-cities like NYC, Paris, Tokyo, etc

 
Old 07-14-2009, 12:44 AM
 
318 posts, read 237,851 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's what I look at when I want to notice a city's pace and for that reason, I would say Philadelphia has a faster pace than Chicago. Chicago, while fast paced itself, still has that Midwestern spirit about itself. It's laid back, pretty easy going at times, but can be mean and rough when it wants to. Philadelphia (like most East Coast cities) are mean and rough ALL the time. Much more in your face, much more aggressive, much more busy at times than Chicago. I lived in Chicago and have visited Philly so I'm going with an observation.
Nuh, Philly or New York is not more agressive, more in your face than Chicago. As a matter of fact New York is much more cultured than Chicago and it shows all the time. The difference is in pace like in Chicago it takes two minute for someone to explain what they want while North Easterners are very direct or like when ambulances go at 35 miles per hour in Chicago while in New York they zoom though the city at 60, like it takes a store clerk in Chicago 30 seconds to calculate and give you change while in New York this clerk would already be helping another customer. In context of pace of life Chicago is very Southern while Philly is very North-Eastern...
Interestingly to most people from Southern Illinois and neighboring states Chicago pace is breathtaking I guess everything is relative.
 
Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 AM
 
Location: THE THRONE aka-New York City
3,012 posts, read 5,179,451 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by feltonville View Post
See, I live in PHilly and have traveled to Chicago. I thought about moving to Chicago and is still considering. Yes, Chicago is bigger and widespread which is why I like it. However, in terms of fast paced, Philly is more quick. People in Philly are more in tuned with things and think quicker. Chicago is nice, but to me, Chicago has that midwestern charm as many people often come off southern to me. Nevertheless, I love Chicago
One of the things that annoyed me about the chicagoens i encountered was the fact that they had southern accents. I have nothing at all agaisnt southern accents, just didnt expect it to hear it out of someone from a big city in the midwest. The girls sounded like they were from alabama or something. I always thought they would have a more northanish accent
 
Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 AM
 
Location: USA
13,266 posts, read 10,009,266 times
Reputation: 4228
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
One of the things that annoyed me about the chicagoens i encountered was the fact that they had southern accents. I have nothing at all agaisnt southern accents, just didnt expect it to hear it out of someone from a big city in the midwest. The girls sounded like they were from alabama or something. I always thought they would have a more northanish accent
They must've been transplants. You ever heard the Chicago accent?
 
Old 07-14-2009, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,253 posts, read 25,967,238 times
Reputation: 9013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Nuh, Philly or New York is not more agressive, more in your face than Chicago. As a matter of fact New York is much more cultured than Chicago and it shows all the time. The difference is in pace like in Chicago it takes two minute for someone to explain what they want while North Easterners are very direct or like when ambulances go at 35 miles per hour in Chicago while in New York they zoom though the city at 60, like it takes a store clerk in Chicago 30 seconds to calculate and give you change while in New York this clerk would already be helping another customer. In context of pace of life Chicago is very Southern while Philly is very North-Eastern...
Interestingly to most people from Southern Illinois and neighboring states Chicago pace is breathtaking I guess everything is relative.
You didn't show me why they aren't more aggressive or in your face. I don't know why you had to add New York in this since New York has nothing to do with this thread nor do I understand why you had to add that New York is more cultured than Chicago. It's irrelevant to this thread.
 
Old 07-14-2009, 08:49 AM
 
318 posts, read 237,851 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You didn't show me why they aren't more aggressive or in your face.
It's my observation. East Coast is simply more direct, faster paced, but that has nothing to do with "in-your-face" and "rough" Hollywood nonsence. I find people in Chicago to be much more stand-offish and passive-aggresive than Philadephians or New Yorkers who are in fact very friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't know why you had to add New York in this since New York has nothing to do with this thread nor do I understand why you had to add that New York is more cultured than Chicago. It's irrelevant to this thread.
You did by throwing "like most East Coast cities" in the mix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Philadelphia (like most East Coast cities) are mean and rough ALL the time.
Philly and just a hundread miles away New York have much longer urban traditions than Chicago, they are more cultured, more urban not "rough".
Anyways, the East-Coaster Chicago is painfully slow, people talk slow, drive slow and act slow. Philly is much faster paced than Chicago.

Last edited by thefinalcut; 07-14-2009 at 09:07 AM..
 
Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 AM
 
2,601 posts, read 3,908,666 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
It's my observation. East Coast is simply more direct, faster paced, but that has nothing to do with "in-your-face" and "rough" Hollywood nonsence. I find people in Chicago to be much more stand-offish and passive-aggresive than Philadephians or New Yorkers who are in fact very friendly.



You did by throwing "like most East Coast cities" in the mix.


Philly and just a hundread miles away New York have much longer urban traditions than Chicago, they are more cultured, more urban not "rough".
To the East-Coaster Chicago is painfully slow, people talk slow, drive slow and act slow. Philly is much faster paced than Chicago.
Since I must be "painfully slow" because I'm close to Chicago, I'll lay this out the best I can with my limited abilities.

I'm surprised someone from New York can be so narrow-minded and "passive-aggressive" in all their Chicago bashing. To follow it up with a winking face is just plain arrogant. Your viewpoints actually sound quite provincial, not cultured or urbane by any stretch of the imagination. Sometimes when someone thinks they are so worldly, knowledgeable, and "cultured", they come off as just the opposite. People who are truly worldly, knowledgeable and "cultured" don't shove it down everyone else's throats. It's called class.

As far as fast-paced goes, I don't know which city wins that title. I guess if we believe the poll numbers, most people responding, go with Chicago.
 
Old 07-14-2009, 09:26 AM
 
5,969 posts, read 7,435,707 times
Reputation: 1614
Chicago is fasted paced, however Philadelphia is more so.
 
Old 07-14-2009, 10:13 AM
 
177 posts, read 418,606 times
Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Nuh, Philly or New York is not more agressive, more in your face than Chicago. As a matter of fact New York is much more cultured than Chicago and it shows all the time. The difference is in pace like in Chicago it takes two minute for someone to explain what they want while North Easterners are very direct or like when ambulances go at 35 miles per hour in Chicago while in New York they zoom though the city at 60, like it takes a store clerk in Chicago 30 seconds to calculate and give you change while in New York this clerk would already be helping another customer. In context of pace of life Chicago is very Southern while Philly is very North-Eastern...
Interestingly to most people from Southern Illinois and neighboring states Chicago pace is breathtaking I guess everything is relative.
The person that wrote this is really grasping at straws here, to say the least. If they actually believe this garbage they have zero credibility in my mind.

I wanted to point this post out since its basically full of crap. A clerk counting out change? Ambulance speed? Seriously? To think, one has to completely fabricate these 'examples' to describe how fast paced one major US city is or isnt compared to another. Totally lame. Reeks of provinciality and ignorance. Reminiscent of that 'demented' poster or whatever his name was.

Chicago is a fast paced city. Ive lived in DC and Chicago, and spent time in NYC, Boston and Philly. Chicago is comparable to east and west coast cities in terms of fast paced life, relative to size. NYC is faster paced, Philly is about the same, or even slightly slower paced. Once a city gets to a certain size though, metro over 5 million for example, its often hard to tell the difference (at least in the US, asian cities for example are much faster paced).

Oh but wait, it took 30 seconds to get my change when I bought my 'pop' at the 7-eleven in Chi cah-goo, slower than the usual 18 seconds I was used to on the east coast, so maybe I need to rethink this!
 
Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,253 posts, read 25,967,238 times
Reputation: 9013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
It's my observation. East Coast is simply more direct, faster paced, but that has nothing to do with "in-your-face" and "rough" Hollywood nonsence. I find people in Chicago to be much more stand-offish and passive-aggresive than Philadephians or New Yorkers who are in fact very friendly.
Just because you are aggressive or more rough does not mean you are not friendly. Chicagoans are just as friendly as any other place. I had a great time in Chicago with Chicagoans because they were willing to show me their city. Very down to earth type of people that love their city. Philly is more rough as a city and more direct as a city. Nothing passive about the city at all.

Quote:
You did by throwing "like most East Coast cities" in the mix.
Yes, but like most of us here on this thread that has made a similar point, we kept it strictly between Philadelphia and Chicago. New York, Boston, Baltimore, and Washington DC are irrelevant to this thread which is why I didn't mention these cities by name.

Quote:
Philly and just a hundread miles away New York have much longer urban traditions than Chicago, they are more cultured, more urban not "rough".
Anyways, the East-Coaster Chicago is painfully slow, people talk slow, drive slow and act slow. Philly is much faster paced than Chicago
.
I disagree with Philly being more cultured than Chicago but that's not to say Philly doesn't have any culture itself. Chicago is just a bigger city with more diversity and it's more multicultural than Philly. It does have a longer urban tradition because it's older than Chicago and was established long before Chicago. That's a given. But Chicago in a short amount of time has made up ground and then some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top