U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most fast paced?
Chicago 153 55.84%
Philadelphia 121 44.16%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:32 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,351,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan22 View Post
Typically a fast-paced city isn't one with catastrophic population loss.

How can a place be fast-paced when one-third of the population left town?
did you really just switch from one alias to another to post a response? hahahaha

Old 10-20-2011, 05:58 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,822,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
really mods? thread still open? glad to keep things on topic here
This is the fourth example in just this thread where you have posted this, does adding to your post count over trivial threads give you this much anxiety? As you say Chicago is fine on its own then why are you indoors all day defending your city

Let me guess you're between the age of eighteen and twenty three and it bothers you when Chicago is dragged down this road

Old 10-20-2011, 06:13 PM

100 posts, read 115,139 times
Chicago is a respectable 3rd or 4th in the US in urbanity, but NYC and Philadelphia take the top 2. Most people would agree that Phily and NYC are the cities that are most alike each other.

There's nothing wrong with being 3rd or 4th...

Old 10-20-2011, 06:21 PM

100 posts, read 115,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTN100 View Post
I agree with this statement. Philly is probably closest to NYC in feel. Chicago feels totally different.
Exactly. It's not a slight to Chicago at all, but the wide streets, overall slower moving feeling, and its Midwestern location owes to its pace of life. Philadelphia is SMACK in the middle of the NYC-DC corridor, the two most important cities in the WORLD, so its bound to be faster.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:23 PM

8 posts, read 14,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
This is the fourth example in just this thread where you have posted this, does adding to your post count over trivial threads give you this much anxiety? As you say Chicago is fine on its own then why are you indoors all day defending your city

Let me guess you're between the age of eighteen and twenty three and it bothers you when Chicago is dragged down this road
The facts add up, you are dementor. Your time here has been geared towards bashing Philly and Chicago. You lack a heart, any person who thinks the US should ship it's poverty to thirdworld countries has problems imo

Old 10-20-2011, 08:24 PM

2,045 posts, read 2,491,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
But what does this have to do with pace?

And honestly doing business in mostly Philly, NYC, Boston, SF, and Chicago I find the business pace faster (though ever so slightly) in Philly or at least more in your face, but I documented my feelings earlier in that to me they are pretty similar. I find DC faster these days than either Chicago or Philly, not at NYCs level though.
Please re-read. I was responding to the "rust belt" comment. I then also added my thoughts (albeit brief) on my opinion on fast-paced-- whatever the **** that means.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:27 PM

2,045 posts, read 2,491,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan22 View Post
It's a fact that Chicago is declining, and it's a fact that Chicago is in the Rust Belt. Anyone who argues otherwise is trolling.

That doesn't mean that Chicago doesn't have many wonderful attributes, but give me a break already. The Census confirms the population decline, and any map confirms the Rust Belt location.

So, the only thing that matters-- in your estimation-- is population. So, when you leave your house for college, community college, vocational school or a job in the marketplace when you reach 18, is your family in decline? Its population declined by "1"... Look at the big picture and weigh all attributes.

Is Mexico City the most powerful, dynamic, economically superior city in the world? Is it?

Is it? How about Cairo or Delhi?

Last edited by BigLake; 10-20-2011 at 08:38 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 PM

3,569 posts, read 5,772,844 times
Holy mother of god.
These things just keep on coming.

Has anyone reported a mod yet?

Old 10-21-2011, 12:48 AM

314 posts, read 333,185 times
Gonna attempt to bring this back on topic after all the off topic nonsense. I guess the people that take offense to being labeled as slower paced equate slower paced with being less intelligent, naive, unaware,weak, ect. which is far from the truth. Ironically I've met quite a few people from NYC( born and raised) that possessed these traits, was actually suprised since NYC is known for it's fast paced, thick skinned, "in your face" mentality. Guess it all comes down to individualism (what a shocker).

Old 10-21-2011, 03:59 AM

11 posts, read 17,121 times
"Obviously population isn't the ONLY consideration.

But it's certainly worth noting that Chicago lost ONE MILLION residents, almost as many as Detroit, while basically every other major city on earth is growing.

But Chicago doesn't fare very well (on a comparative basis) on a whole host of metrics. High crime, bad economy, weak real estate market, rusty industrial base.

On the positive size, it has a central location, average cost of living, big city center, and good infrastructure. It's also the dominant city in its region.

But, on the whole Chicago pales in comparison to the major coastal cities, especially in regards to fast pace. It's more like a much bigger Milwaukee, Detroit, etc. in terms of pace, feel, etc. Not anything like a Philly"

sweet bro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City