Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most fast paced?
Chicago 153 55.84%
Philadelphia 121 44.16%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,701,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
No they do not. People in Philly drive like they are in a nascar race.
I'm always having to pass people in philly (city and suburbs). Chicago is much faster paced. Chicago makes philly seem pretty small too. I love philly, but really, chicago is in a different league.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:50 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,701,460 times
I have noticed that a lot of people out here don't understand how large and busy chicago is.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,698,585 times
All things considered Chicago is only slightly larger than Philly. The pace of both cities is roughly equal.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,919,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
All things considered Chicago is only slightly larger than Philly. The pace of both cities is roughly equal.
I'm glad you brought that up because a lot of people don't know that given the same city limit boundaries Philly is almost as populated as Chicago. Philly and Chicago a lot closer in population then what a lot of people think they are.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 10-04-2011 at 09:41 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 09:33 PM

9,334 posts, read 9,191,704 times
I agree

Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,936,892 times
I currently live in Chicago and have literally been to Philly hundreds of times (grew up in NY and always visited GF living in Philly), I would say Chicago is faster paced, but they are pretty similar. Overall, Chicago doesn't feel that much bigger, and as far as density, I actually think much of Philly feels denser than Chicago, especially the area around Center City.

Chicago is the leader of the second tier cities in my opinion (Chi, SF, Bos, Was, Phi), but those cities are all closer to each other in almost every catagory than they are with NYC, which is on a completely different level.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,108,413 times
I have been to Chicago and Philly thousands of times. Philly is definitely faster. Philly is also a knock you down type of city. Chicago definitely has a slower midwest vibe. I am always amazed at big city people who don't jay walk and Chicago doesn't. Plus on Philly streets, the pace is much more intense. I don't care how large a city is, it doesn't equate to pace of life. Houston is 600 square miles and has a population of over 2 million and is no where near the pace of DC, Philly, Boston.

People in other parts of the country hate to admit it but the east coast is on another level as far as pace of life goes.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,936,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I have been to Chicago and Philly thousands of times. Philly is definitely faster. Philly is also a knock you down type of city. Chicago definitely has a slower midwest vibe. I am always amazed at big city people who don't jay walk and Chicago doesn't. Plus on Philly streets, the pace is much more intense. I don't care how large a city is, it doesn't equate to pace of life. Houston is 600 square miles and has a population of over 2 million and is no where near the pace of DC, Philly, Boston.

People in other parts of the country hate to admit it but the east coast is on another level as far as pace of life goes.
I disagree, but wouldn't really argue either way. Chicago seems faster paced to me. I agree the East Coast is faster in general, but Chicago is not the typical Midwest City. I wouldn't call Baltimore faster paced than Chicago just because its on the east coast.

I jaywalk all the time in Chicago (Im a New Yorker), but I see hundreds of people do the same every day. Not sure how you say people in Chicago dont Jaywalk

Old 10-05-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I disagree, but wouldn't really argue either way. Chicago seems faster paced to me. I agree the East Coast is faster in general, but Chicago is not the typical Midwest City. I wouldn't call Baltimore faster paced than Chicago just because its on the east coast.

I jaywalk all the time in Chicago (Im a New Yorker), but I see hundreds of people do the same every day. Not sure how you say people in Chicago dont Jaywalk
Jaywalking is not the norm in Chicago. I know people do it but it isn't the culture. Yes the Loop is faster than DT Baltimore but the residential neighborhoods aren't. Venture to the southside and tell me it's fast paced.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post

And yes outside of the Loop and the tall buildings, Chicago is the typical Midwest city. I have been to Milwaukee and Minneapolis and the residential areas are very similiar. Wide streets and bungalow heaven!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.