Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most fast paced?
Chicago 153 55.84%
Philadelphia 121 44.16%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:06 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Yes. Other than a MUCH larger hispanic population, and neighborhoods that are much further along the gentrification and building infill process 773-Chicago looks a lot more like Cleveland or St. Louis than Philly or New York. (And one midwest city, Cincinnati, has the architecture that is most like east coast cities).

Chicago in 773 overall has lower population density than Boston or Philly. Because of the differences in housing stock type.

Those east coast cities have rowhouses. And both Boston and the outer burroughs (Brooklyn, Bronx, and Queens) don't have the vacant lots that pepper the west and south sides.

Keep in mind, that parts of the city of St. Louis and the city of Cleveland do have some very urban neighborhoods. And neighborhoods with major immigrant populations. Cleveland, while not having much of a Mexican population at all, does have a Puerto Rican population almost as large as Chicagos Puerto Rican population.

I'm not talking total size, I'm talking about the architecture of the neighborhoods.

Chicagos closest mirror image city is Toronto. A city with a historic houses, some areas with rowhouses, but where most of the population density is due to high rises and courtyard style apartment complexes built after world war II.
Immigrant hoods?

That's all I'm in.
I'm Mexican.

I don't see "YOUR" Chicago. I see mine.

And I see a fast paced city outside of downtown.

Your Chicago is not mine. And mine says you're wrong.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:30 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,935 times
I love your posts, refreshing and amusing. You don't have to be right to be funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Philly bro View Post
Are you guys serious! Chicago by a long horn. Philly just acts like that but not really fast paced. Go to Manhattan and you'll see how fast pace we are.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:01 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Immigrant hoods?

That's all I'm in.
I'm Mexican.

I don't see "YOUR" Chicago. I see mine.

And I see a fast paced city outside of downtown.

Your Chicago is not mine. And mine says you're wrong.
Milwaukee and Detroit have a MAJOR Mexican enclave similar to what you see in Chicago. (On the south sides of both cities). They make up a much smaller percent of those cities populations compared to Chicago, but they are there, and they do look like Little Village, and they make up at least 2/3 of the population there. Do Google street view on Mexicantown/West Vernor, Detroit. You'll be suprised.

Cleveland has a major Puerto Rican neighborhood on its west side, and has a smaller version of Chicagos Chinatown known as Asiatown, that city also has one of the largest little Italy (although today its more touristy/nostalgic) like Chicagos, as well as a Slavic Village, where the Poles and Czechs used to be. Cleveland throughout the 20th century had the largest population of Hungarians and Slovenians outside their respecive countries.

Hamtramck, MI surrounded by Detroit has a very large recently immigrated Albanian and Bangladeshi community that is replacing the more established and assimilated huge Polish (and some Ukrainian) population that has moved to the suburbs.

Metro Detroit as a whole is close to 10% Arab/middle eastern (Lebanese, Syrian, Palestinian, Yemeni, Assyrian/Chaldean, Iraq) and many of them do concentrate in more urban ethnic enclaves like East Dearborn.

Even little Grand Rapids, MI is almost 20% hispanic these days!

Minneapolis-St. Paul has one of the largest population of Somalians (Africa) and Hmong (Asian related to Laotian/Vietnamese). Columbus, OH also has a very large population of Africans.

Sure Chicago has more and bigger immigrant hoods than Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, or Milwaukee, but Chicago % foreign born is still well under that of LA, Miami, and New York.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:32 PM

314 posts, read 422,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Milwaukee and Detroit have a MAJOR Mexican enclave similar to what you see in Chicago. (On the south sides of both cities). They make up a much smaller percent of those cities populations compared to Chicago, but they are there, and they do look like Little Village, and they make up at least 2/3 of the population there. Do Google street view on Mexicantown/West Vernor, Detroit. You'll be suprised.

Cleveland has a major Puerto Rican neighborhood on its west side, and has a smaller version of Chicagos Chinatown known as Asiatown, that city also has one of the largest little Italy (although today its more touristy/nostalgic) like Chicagos, as well as a Slavic Village, where the Poles and Czechs used to be. Cleveland throughout the 20th century had the largest population of Hungarians and Slovenians outside their respecive countries.

Hamtramck, MI surrounded by Detroit has a very large recently immigrated Albanian and Bangladeshi community that is replacing the more established and assimilated huge Polish (and some Ukrainian) population that has moved to the suburbs.

Metro Detroit as a whole is close to 10% Arab/middle eastern (Lebanese, Syrian, Palestinian, Yemeni, Assyrian/Chaldean, Iraq) and many of them do concentrate in more urban ethnic enclaves like East Dearborn.

Even little Grand Rapids, MI is almost 20% hispanic these days!

Minneapolis-St. Paul has one of the largest population of Somalians (Africa) and Hmong (Asian related to Laotian/Vietnamese). Columbus, OH also has a very large population of Africans.

Sure Chicago has more and bigger immigrant hoods than Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, or Milwaukee, but Chicago % foreign born is still well under that of LA, Miami, and New York.
These threads are beyond hilarious and typical on c-d. The initial topic was about Chicago and Philly, somehow at the end of it NY,Miami,La, and Detroit are thrown into the mix.

Of course the Chicago % of foreign born is under LA,Miami, and New York for obvious reasons that don't need to be explained. Off topic much?

Old 10-11-2011, 04:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Looks like Philadelphia has its own dementor...

Old 10-11-2011, 04:32 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Looks like Philadelphia has its own dementor...

durfmentor

now onto yo Brooklyn - second incarnation of the day

Old 10-12-2011, 12:05 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Center City is nowhere near as vibrant as the Loop. The Loop is significantly larger with a much larger workforce commuting from a larger area. You are comparing the area that is the 2nd most important economic district in the US with one that probably is at the higher end of the top 10 (8-10).
Chicago's Loop may have more workers than Center City Philly but Philly overall has a faster-paced feel to it. Philly's Center City is designed to be dense and crowded; Chicago not so much. After hours and weekends there is no comparison: again, for the same reason, Philly is busier. A couple years back I walked from Roosevelt Road up Dearborn on a summer Saturday afternoon: no one was out in the Loop at all. The only sign of activity was sem-busy Michigan Avenue, with the west side of the street busier than the east. Of course, when there is an event in downtown Chicago ie. the Taste, it can feel busy but, overall, Philly Center City wins this contest.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:11 PM

100 posts, read 145,252 times
Philadelphia. One is on the East Coast, and the other is in the Midwest. One is known for urbanity, and the other is known for farms. Pretty easy to spot.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:25 PM

314 posts, read 422,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philynyallday View Post
Philadelphia. One is on the East Coast, and the other is in the Midwest. One is known for urbanity, and the other is known for farms. Pretty easy to spot.
I guess by this brilliant geographical logic Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont and upstate New York would make NYC slower paced.

Milwaukee: 594,883

Cincinnati: 296,943

Detroit: 713,777

St. Louis: 319,294

Minneapolis: 382,578

Cleveland: 396,815

Hardly "farm" towns.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTN100 View Post
I'm Mexican too, and you have to admit that Tex?Il? is largely correct.

Outside of downtown, Chicago looks like St. Louis, Detroit or Cleveland, not NYC, Philly or Boston.

Let's take Little Village. For those not from Chicago, this is the biggest, busiest Mexican neigborhood in Chicago.

Even in bustling Little Village, there are giant urban wastelands just a few blocks north. Yes, 26th Street is busy, but head a few blocks north on Pulaski and your are in hard-core, bombed-out hood, no different than Detroit.

And the busy parts of Little Village look more like the good parts of other Midwest cities. Detached houses with yards. No rowhouses and apartment buildings, like you see on the East Coast.

Chicago has a very big and impressive core, but 90% of the city looks the same as the other Midwest cities, IMO.
So a block of abandoned rowhouses is denser then a block of detached homes?

What is up with this annoying myth that rowhouses make a place denser?

And those bombed out places are black ghettos not part of little village
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City