Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Detroit or Phoenix?
Detroit 56 45.16%
Phoenix 68 54.84%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 11:33 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
True.

We should be asking you, why all the hate?
Not our fault these posters hauled off and attacked our city right off the bat. If someone prefers Phoenix... that's fine... if someone prefers Detroit... that's fine... we can have a respectful discussion about it. "Red John" choose Phoenix and gave clear reasons why... and the best part... he didn't have to bash Detroit to do it.

Quote:
I'm from Michigan originally.

I left because I couldn't take the weather, and the people, they are an odd bunch.

So I'd go with Phoenix on this one. Phoenix is warmer, people are nicer, and economy is better. Michigan has no jobs. Everything just sucks. Everything is in the decline.
You
Michigan population grows for third consecutive year | MLive.com
Have
Michigan unemployment rate dips below U.S. rate for first time in 15 years - Crain's Detroit Business
No
Detroit Jobs Crank Up Alongside Auto Industry - Real Time Economics - WSJ
Idea
SE Michigan home prices keep rising, now back to '07
What
Detroit area housing market among nation
Your
Grand Rapids joins big leagues: Ranks 3rd in nation for economic growth | MLive.com
Talking
Grand Rapids ranks among 'next boomtowns' in US | 2016-01-15 | Grand Rapids Business Journal
About
https://www.mackinac.org/21460

Quote:
That's what America said to Detroit many years ago. Thus detroit having a consistent decrease in population and Phoenix exploding in Population. As someone else said, Detroit is the past and Phoenix is the future. I'm glad you love Detroit(and Michigan) so much, someone has to.
Yeah, that's the best part. As much hate as Detroit gets, as much as Detroit has been through, as much as Detroit has been kicked while it's down... it still ranks in the top 15 in nearly every category (gdp, household income, millionaires, fortune 500 companies, population, ect,) and it isn't going to change anytime soon, it still offers more than most other cities, and Detroit is improving all on it's own with almost no outside help at all. Oh, and Metro Detroit's population is actually increasing, the only thing still declining are the city limits and even that has slowed down dramatically since the great recession.

Last edited by MS313; 03-23-2016 at 11:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 11:42 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Not our fault these posters hauled off and attacked our city right off the bat. If someone prefers Phoenix... that's fine... if someone prefers Detroit... that's fine... we can have a respectful discussion about it. "Red John" choose Phoenix and gave clear reasons why... and the best part... he didn't have to bash Detroit to do it.

[/b]
What a bunch of crap. There are likely just as many posters who "attack" Phoenix as Detroit and that includes some posters from Michigan who blindly post things that they "believe" to be true about Phoenix. One thing is true...both of these cities get bad raps from people who only assume to know the ins-and-outs of both cities.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:54 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
What a bunch of crap. There are likely just as many posters who "attack" Phoenix as Detroit and that includes some posters from Michigan who blindly post things that they "believe" to be true about Phoenix. One thing is true...both of these cities get bad raps from people who only assume to know the ins-and-outs of both cities.
A bunch of crap? reread this thread from the beginning and see who attacked who first. I read this forums... I know both of our cities are hated on here. Which is why nobody needed to bash eachother in the first place.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:46 AM

975 posts, read 1,404,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
I'm from Michigan originally.

I left because I couldn't take the weather, and the people, they are an odd bunch.

So I'd go with Phoenix on this one. Phoenix is warmer, people are nicer, and economy is better. Michigan has no jobs. Everything just sucks. Everything is in the decline.
Phoenix is warmer. However people in Metro Detroit are nicer than people in Phoenix and the Metro Detroit economy has better paying jobs than Phoenix, even if Phoenix has a lower unemployment rate.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:05 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
How would you rank/compare these two?
Cost of Living - I don't know

Education - The Detroit Public Schools are the worst in the nation. The suburbs have great schools, but every metro area has that. EDGE: PHOENIX

Downtown - both downtowns are really surging, but does Phoenix have building like these:

Penobscot Building

Book Cadillac Hotel

Downtown Detroit has way more potential - it is much more compactly built, it has beautiful older buildings, and it is situated on a beautiful riverfront

EDGE: Detroit

Suburbs - I would think that Detroit gets the edge because the large amount of suburbs with character, such as the old-money Grosse Pointes situated on Lake St. Clair and the plethora of suburbs with thriving downtowns that Republic of Detroit referred to (although he missed Wyandotte, Rochester, and the slowly reviving Pontiac)

Does Phoenix have an answer to Grosse Isle - an affluent suburb located on an island
Does Phoenix have an answer to Hamtramck - a dense (almost 11,000 people per sq mile) urban enclave composed of mostly immigrants from countries such as Bangladesh, Iraq, Yemen, and Poland

Main commercial drag of Hamtramck

Phoenix does have large satellite cities like Gilbert, Scottsdale, Chandler, and Glendale - are these unique? (I don't know)
EDGE: DETROIT

Economy: Phoenix's is healthier, the unemployment rate is lower, EDGE: PHOENIX

Architecture/Landscaping/Aesthetics - Some people love the desert landscape, but in anywhere in Phoenix can you find the lush stately neighborhoods of the city of Detroit like:

Google Maps Streetview of the University District

Google Maps Streetview of the East Boston-Arden Park Blvd District

People - I don't know
Culture - Phoenix has the Heard Museum, which highlights Native American culture, but Detroit IMO offers more, such as a Top 6 Art Museum in the country, the Arab-American Museum, the largest Museum of African-American History, the first Holocaust Memorial Museum, and the unmatched Greenfield Villlage/Henry Ford Museum

In terms of annual events, Detroit holds its own, including the largest auto show in the country, the largest free jazz festival, the Techno Music Festival, the Woodward Dream Cruise, America's Thanksgiving Day Parade, the Gold Cup Hydroplane Races, the Labor Day Parade/Festivals, and last but not least JOBBIE NOONER!!

In terms of sports culture, we have more rabid fans, our teams have been around much longer (starting with the Tigers in 1901, ending with the Pistons in 1957), while Phoenix got there teams in the 70's-90's. Also, University of Michigan and Michigan State University, both with strong, long-standing traditions in all 4 major sports are 45 minutes, and 1.5 hours, respectively from Downtown, so our sport culture is better. Phoenix has just ASU

Does Phoenix have an answer to Detroit's Eastern Market?

Food - Phoenix features Mexican, Southwest, and Native American cuisine, but due to the large European immigrant influx in the early 1900's, there are a ton of great Polish, Italian, German, and Greek restaurants, as well as soul food places, and our Middle Eastern cuisine can't be touched

Detroit-Style Pizza was recently highlighted in this CBS This Morning report

EDGE: a Wash

Transportation/Infrastructure - Phoenix has light rail, EDGE: Phoenix

Location (relative to other metros and countries) Phoenix is near LA, Las Vegas, ABQ, and a plethora of fascinating outdoor opportunities, while Detroit is within a 4 hour drive of Chicago, Toronto, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, and Indianapolis, and near cool smaller cities like Grand Rapids, Toledo, and Hamilton, ON.

-Across the river from downtown Detroit is downtown Windsor, a cool Canadian town with a splendid riverfront and a couple of interesting urban districts like Via Italia and Olde Walkerville

Downtown Windsor overlooking Downtown Detroit

-Lastly we are 2.5 to 4 hours away from some amazing Great Lakes wonders, such as the beaches of Grand Haven and Holland, the Traverse City area, and Mackinaw Island

EDGE: a wash

Natural Beauty: Phoenix wins, but just 35 miles south of downtown Detroit, we have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb3eUF7y5BQ

Things to do: A wash
Weather: Phoenix
Other

Old 03-24-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Food - Phoenix features Mexican, Southwest, and Native American cuisine, but due to the large European immigrant influx in the early 1900's, there are a ton of great Polish, Italian, German, and Greek restaurants, as well as soul food places, and our Middle Eastern cuisine can't be touched
Whoops, I meant to say, Detroit has the great Polish, Italian, Greek, Soul Food and Middle Eastern food.

Also, in regards to recreational culture, Phoenix is about hiking in the mountains, while in Detroit it's about hanging out at the lake, and RV camping out in the woods, enjoying a bonfire...overlooking the lake.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:37 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
How many lakes are there in the Greater Phoenix area? Oakland County (just one county in Metro Detroit) boosts 1400 lakes.

How many suburbs of Phoenix compare to those you find in Metro Detroit with downtown areas? (Birmingham, Ferndale, Royal Oak, Plymouth, Ann Arbor, Rochester, Northville, etc) Scottsdale?

How many international crossings does Phoenix have compared to Detroit?

We mow our lush green lawns while people in Phoenix ...................sweep sand?

Let's see, I can fish, swim, ice-skate, water ski, sail, and go water tubing all throughout the area. People in Phoenix can hike.

I'm sure you can eat Mexican food in Phoenix...well that is easily done in Mexican Town in Detroit plus all the other ethnic enclaves throughout the region. I don't know but does such a thing exist in Phoenix?

I don't know how Phoenix compares to Detroit with regard to theaters, restaurants, sports venue, concerts, festivals, and museums. Detroit is HOME to a few music genres...and Phoenix?

So don't hate, congratulate! Bye Felicia.
1. Phoenix has many more affluent areas than just Scottsdale: Paradise Valley, Carefree, Rio Verde, Cave Creek, Litchfield Park, Village at Camelback ( I stole this list from the poster above)

2. I live in the Phoenix Metro Area and almost all of my neighbors have grass - This isn't the Sahara, we don't even have sand

3. I am 20 minutes from the my closet large lake, in the summer I take my boat out a couple of times a month and fish and water ski. You can also go water tubing down the Salt River in that same area. Lakes are scattered all over the Phoenix Metro. I can actually fish 2 minutes away from my house. There is also anIce skating rink 5 minutes from my house.

4. Not just mexican cuisine. You can pretty much find authentic dining for almost any culture throughout the Phx metro.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:54 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Cost of Living - I don't know

Architecture/Landscaping/Aesthetics - Some people love the desert landscape, but in anywhere in Phoenix can you find the lush stately neighborhoods of the city of Detroit like:

Google Maps Streetview of the East Boston-Arden Park Blvd District
Yes, there are streets that look pretty much exactly like that around Phoenix, that is standard upper class turn-of-the-century:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4716...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 03-25-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Yes, there are streets that look pretty much exactly like that around Phoenix, that is standard upper class turn-of-the-century:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4716...8i6656!6m1!1e1
I love the stucco, Spanish mission, southwest look! However, to be honest, there are only a FEW spectacular older mansions in that area it seems; they are mixed with a lot of single story houses and newer houses from the '50s.

The Boston-Edison/East Boston-Arden Park is a contiguous neighborhood of more than 990 houses from that era. The 4 streets of Boston-Edison are each a mile and a half long featuring some mansions, but mostly mini-mansions like these (Gotta love that snow):

(My photos)

Old 03-25-2016, 03:32 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
1. Phoenix has many more affluent areas than just Scottsdale: Paradise Valley, Carefree, Rio Verde, Cave Creek, Litchfield Park, Village at Camelback ( I stole this list from the poster above)

2. I live in the Phoenix Metro Area and almost all of my neighbors have grass - This isn't the Sahara, we don't even have sand

3. I am 20 minutes from the my closet large lake, in the summer I take my boat out a couple of times a month and fish and water ski. You can also go water tubing down the Salt River in that same area. Lakes are scattered all over the Phoenix Metro. I can actually fish 2 minutes away from my house. There is also anIce skating rink 5 minutes from my house.

4. Not just mexican cuisine. You can pretty much find authentic dining for almost any culture throughout the Phx metro.

I wasn't referring to the affluent areas of Metro Detroit with the cities I listed above. I was talking about Downtown Areas.

Like Birmingham for instance:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bi...bb8855!6m1!1e1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City