Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich is the best place to live ?
Houston 71 55.04%
Kansas City 58 44.96%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Wrong word choice, I should not have said catagories. I should have said that Houston should be(for a city of its size) killing KC in the debate that this thread has come to (cosmopolitan feeling, urban core, non suburban feel, ect).
You do know as well as I do, cities like Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, and Dallas lose every CD poll.

Kansas City is more walk friendly, is more politically liberal (as white people view the term liberal), and has a better downtown. Thats all CD really cares about.

It doesn't matter that Houston is much more worldly, diverse, is between a beach and a pine forrest, has better food (Im sorry, but it absolutely does), has more opportunities, and generally has a lot more going on. None of that matters as much as having a walkable downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 10:48 PM

5 posts, read 9,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Wow, this is a pretty evenly split debate(especially if you take into account half the votes for Houston are from people who live in Texas). I personally would rather live in KC, BUT I think that Houston has a waaaay brighter future. Let's be honest, for a city that has over 2 million people, Houston should be killing KC in all categories. The only other cities that have over two million would be obliterating KC in these categories. I'm not sure if this is a props to KC for pulling it's own weight or a "you can do better" to Houston for underachieving for a city its size.
Aside from transit what areas does Houston lack compared to other cities? And how do you know where the votes are coming from?

Old 03-30-2016, 11:08 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
All you did was cherry pick events...

Of course not because you don't normally research before you spew...
No I didn't, I talked about KC's top attractions and cultural events. I posted what makes KC a pretty neat city. You can do the same for Houston. I never said anything bad about Houston, I was only showing that KC is not some cultural wasteland in Kansas like most people think. And I don't think Houston is either. I have agreed with other posters. Houston is an international city while KC is a regional city. My point is that KC holds its own and actually compares quite well to much larger Houston, although it's not going to match it. That's all.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:10 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Statistically speaking, only NYC, LA, DC, San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and Miami have more global populations than Houston. However, Miami's international population is overwhelmingly from one region. Chicago's international growth is now far slower than Houston so it will get passed at some point.

All things considered Houston, will in the very near future, be the nations number 5 city for global diversity.
I would already put it in the top 5, IMO.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:11 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Cowboys driving farm trucks on 12 Lane highways. Houston is weird.
There are no Cowboys in Houston and you will never see farm trucks driving on the highways in Houston. You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:11 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
Quote:
FYI Sawyer is NOT in the urban core.
Doesn't matter; that type of suburban development is spread throughout of Houston's core, despite it's layout being particularly well designed. Instead of streets being densely built, everything seems more sprawled and spread out.

Quote:
KC looks more like San Antonio which had a DT way longer than Houston. Houston cannot be compared to KC fairly because Houston is a HUGE business center mixed with people near or in it. Houston has 31 buildings taller than 500 KC has 3.
Again, taller buildings doesn't make a city more Urban; because of those skyscrapers DT Houston can look a bit dead.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:09 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Cowboys driving farm trucks on 12 Lane highways. Houston is weird.
No REAL cowboys are in the city...

Old 03-31-2016, 10:07 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Kansas City ranked #19 for hotbed for arts and culture

http://www.smu.edu/~/media/Site/Mead...ibrancyIndexII

Quote:
KANSAS CITY, MO – KS (pop. 2,071,133)
The Kansas City, MO-KS, metro area features a
vibrant, growing and active arts community that is
notable for its size, quality, breadth and
entrepreneurial characteristics. There has been a
resurgence in the arts scene over the last decade,
despite challenging economic circumstances, with
over $1.5 billion invested in new arts and cultural
venues in the 21st century. The arts in Kansas City
are known for being on the leading edge,
regularly receiving international acclaim for their
artists and arts venues. Kansas City is home to
over 165 nonprofit arts and cultural organizations
of various sizes, as well as 61 local stages.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:33 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Houston is ranked at the 5th best food city in the US. Even if you disagree with the order of the list, the top 10 on this list is very solid:

The 10 best food cities in America, ranked | The Washington Post

Old 03-31-2016, 10:53 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,345,000 times
America

Houston is 3rd
KC is 4th

Venue Density
Best Cities For Culture - Business Insider
Houston is 4th
KC is not mentioned

We can pick lists ALL DAY long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City