Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 10:17 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Same ol attempted backhanded clown sheet. Get off Norfolk deek yo. Norfolk (by itself) is in the same league as the first tier of cities mentioned. And the usual suspects continued confirmation for Richmonds (importance) reeks of inferiority complex.

Norfolks "peers" are not only in its own metro, but other port cities and shipping towns along the East Coast (regardless of size), not just "the south." That is how Norfolk operates.
This isn't thehoodup, so if you participate in convos here, please keep it grammatical and neutral...

No one is clowning Norfolk. It is a matter of fact that Norfolk isn't easily figured into tiers....it is also realistic that Norfolk is a step behind Richmond in order of importance and scale, but that isn't the purpose of this discussion, so please let that be...

@mutiny, i'd be interested to hear your case for Norfolk alongside Raleigh, New Orleans, Louisville, Richmond, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 10:20 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
Quote:
Norfolks "peers" are not only in its own metro, but other port cities and shipping towns along the East Coast (regardless of size), not just "the south." That is how Norfolk operates.
Nope, not Charleston & Savannah, too touristy. Not Philly & NYC, they are much too big and way diversified beyond the ports. What other east coast port cities/major shipping towns(cities) are there?

Old 03-26-2016, 11:20 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This isn't thehoodup, so if you participate in convos here, please keep it grammatical and neutral...

No one is clowning Norfolk. It is a matter of fact that Norfolk isn't easily figured into tiers....it is also realistic that Norfolk is a step behind Richmond in order of importance and scale, but that isn't the purpose of this discussion, so please let that be...

@mutiny, i'd be interested to hear your case for Norfolk alongside Raleigh, New Orleans, Louisville, Richmond, etc...
Overall it's generally in the same weight class as those cities. I think Jacksonville is probably the closest peer.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:26 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Nope, not Charleston & Savannah, too touristy. Not Philly & NYC, they are much too big and way diversified beyond the ports. What other east coast port cities/major shipping towns(cities) are there?
Baltimore.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:34 AM

867 posts, read 1,396,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

I don't know what thehoodup is so miss me with that.

Come on man, I already know you and ESPECIALLY, the other Richmond homer's style. You can think Norfolk is a step behind all you want...Norfolk is in the same tier as the first group you mentioned...you and other delusional characters just don't want to accept it. That is why you always, from time to time, throw Norfolk in every convo you possibly can, with some peculiar slight. So please spare me about "neutrality."

If Norfolk disappears, there is little to NO protection for the Mid Atlantic seaboard (Im being generous). The Port of Virginia would be caput. There would be no world trade center. There would be no NATO command center in VA or anywhere else. I don't know what scale or order of importance you subscribe to. But National Security trumps "state" relevance to me any day. Richmond is riding the little hype train as of late, good, we like that...we need them to grow...act like you've been there before. If you were REALLY from Richmond you would know that it is about time...and it is nothing to act brand new about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Touristy is only one aspect, while they are perceived as "boutique" cities, yes, due to their ports, they are looked at as "peers" in that sense, as well as Baltimore, and Jacksonville. Norfolks world revolves around function and that type of competition...otherwise what is a peer?

Old 03-26-2016, 12:00 PM

808 posts, read 1,014,839 times
Not trying to be Mean or anything but when think of the word 'Norfolk' the first picture that pops in my mind isn't a City! The first picture that pops up in my mind is Norfolk Southern.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:45 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Corpus Christi.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:06 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
My personal opinion is that Norfolk is a bit between tiers. It has above average nightlife for its size, above average dining, so it compares well to many cities in that regard. The geography and landscape of Norfolk is breathtaking; architecture, as well, it is a strong rival to these other cities...

Where Norfolk struggles is economically. That isn't a slight, because it is an important measure of city health that can't be overlooked. Not only is Norfolk co-dependent economically on the rest of the region, its economy isn't very diverse or large. In part because of this, Norfolk somewhat feels and operates as a smaller city than it actually is. It is pretty good in collegiate education, but the quality of life is 50/50--beautiful landscape and geography, medium to below average economy and wages with a high violent crime rate...

Old 03-26-2016, 03:39 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albania67 View Post
Not trying to be Mean or anything but when think of the word 'Norfolk' the first picture that pops in my mind isn't a City! The first picture that pops up in my mind is Norfolk Southern.
Yeah, if I didn't grow up in Northern Virginia, Norfolk wouldn't be on my radar at all. I don't really see it being on anyone's radar outside of people who live in the Mid-Atlantic so it's definitely not in the big leagues. At least not now.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:29 PM

193 posts, read 204,170 times
Norfolk is definitely first tier along with Richmond, Jacksonville, Louisville, Memphis and Nashville. Its somewhat isolated location in the southeast corner of Virginia away from major Interstate Highways and its proximity to nearby cities (Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News) serve to detract from the city's perceived importance IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City