Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 01:06 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times

Advertisements

I wasn't joking when I said Corpus, earlier. Norfolk's metro is larger because it's surrounded by OTHER military towns (not suburbs), but direct city-proper to city proper, the cities are quite comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 01:15 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Dallas is just over three hours in drive time to Austin and Oklakoma City. Dallas is just under 40 mins to downtown Ft. Worth. Dallas is 3 hours and 30 mins to Houston. Dallas is 4 hours and 40 mins to San Antonio.

Dallas offers world class air, rail, and automotive transportation nfrastructure.
I know, I've lived in Dallas almost 7 years. I said DFW because I'm including Fort Worth. All of your drive times are wrong. I know because I have done all those drives in the last 6 months. If you add an hour to each of those drive times you will be closer assuming no major accidents. You can get to Oklahoma City in about 3 and half hours.

My point was Dallas isn't built around any specific geographical feature like a harbor or major river or near mountains. It benefits from being in the general middle which moving it 100 miles in any direction wouldn't change.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I wasn't joking when I said Corpus, earlier. Norfolk's metro is larger because it's surrounded by OTHER military towns (not suburbs), but direct city-proper to city proper, the cities are quite comparable.
I think they dislike the comparison because in their eyes corpus isn't all that important or well known. I think it might share that in common with Norfolk, both are under appreciated.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:21 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I think they dislike the comparison because in their eyes corpus isn't all that important or well known. I think it might share that in common with Norfolk, both are under appreciated.
It's not that, so much as the fact that CD believes that you can only compare metros, not individual cities. Not all metros, however are created equally Hampton Roads is one where you can't clearly say that the metro grew out of the city. All of those cities grew out of the military.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:23 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,655 times
Quote:
It's not that, so much as the fact that CD believes that you can only compare metros, not individual cities. Not all metros, however are created equally Hampton Roads is one where you can't clearly say that the metro grew out of the city. All of those cities grew out of the military.
The District of Columbia grew out of the government. What's your point?

Old 12-01-2016, 03:29 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,655 times
Quote:
One word ... LOCATION.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:56 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
I know, I've lived in Dallas almost 7 years. I said DFW because I'm including Fort Worth. All of your drive times are wrong.
I was going by what gps said, and even then those times were from downtown to downtown, so they are accurate not considering the traffic accidents you mentioned. You stated there were not any major urban centers under 4 hours and that is not true. Austin and Oklahoma City are under 4 hours.

Quote:
My point was Dallas isn't built around any specific geographical feature like a harbor or major river or near mountains. It benefits from being in the general middle which moving it 100 miles in any direction wouldn't change.

Neither are Phoenix, Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando, and etc. but every one of those cities is doing pretty well economically, just like Dallas.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I was going by what gps said, and even then those times were from downtown to downtown, so they are accurate not considering the traffic accidents you mentioned. You stated there were not any major urban centers under 4 hours and that is not true. Austin and Oklahoma City are under 4 hours.

Neither are Phoenix, Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando, and etc. but every one of those cities is doing pretty well economically, just like Dallas.
As someone who lives there and makes those drives, I think that should matter more than what google maps tells you. It is theoretically possible, sure, but not most of the time in real life. When was the last time you have done any of those drives? Have you driven through round rock north of Austin recently? Also, what is the advantage of Dallas being 3:30 min from OKC instead of 4?

And you seem to miss my point about location.....Dallas's location is entirely dependent on railroads, highways and DFW. You could have built the city 100 miles in any direction as long as the railroads/ highways interceted at that point Dallas could have been built there. Norfolk is where it is/ important because of the location.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:54 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
As someone who lives there and makes those drives, I think that should matter more than what google maps tells you. It is theoretically possible, sure, but not most of the time in real life. When was the last time you have done any of those drives? Have you driven through round rock north of Austin recently? Also, what is the advantage of Dallas being 3:30 min from OKC instead of 4?
It is ok to be wrong, my point was that Austin and Oklahoma City are major urban centers under 4 hours away. I was not taking away from the drive times you actually experienced. I have made the trip from Austin to Dallas in just over 3 hours actually.

Quote:
And you seem to miss my point about location.....Dallas's location is entirely dependent on railroads, highways and DFW. You could have built the city 100 miles in any direction as long as the railroads/ highways interceted at that point Dallas could have been built there. Norfolk is where it is/ important because of the location.
I did not miss your point, I just don't agree that to be an important and influential city, it has to be on the coast or near a major topographical feature. If that were true, many important urban centers would not exist by your logic. Whether it be railroads, highways, greenways, etc. I fail to understand why you dismiss an entire city based on its forms of transportation, but promote another based on one sector of its economy.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
It is ok to be wrong, my point was that Austin and Oklahoma City are major urban centers under 4 hours away. I was not taking away from the drive times you actually experienced. I have made the trip from Austin to Dallas in just over 3 hours actually.

I did not miss your point, I just don't agree that to be an important and influential city, it has to be on the coast or near a major topographical feature. If that were true, many important urban centers would not exist by your logic. Whether it be railroads, highways, greenways, etc. I fail to understand why you dismiss an entire city based on its forms of transportation, but promote another based on one sector of its economy.
I'm not dismissing dallas at all, it is much more important than Norfolk. Dallas could have been built 100 miles in any direction though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City