Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 09:34 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
Norfolk is definitely first tier along with Richmond, Jacksonville, Louisville, Memphis and Nashville. Its somewhat isolated location in the southeast corner of Virginia away from major Interstate Highways and its proximity to nearby cities (Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News) serve to detract from the city's perceived importance IMO.
Nah, it's on par with Corpus Christi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 09:35 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Nah, it's on par with Corpus Christi.
Probably one of the stupider things said in this thread.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Probably one of the stupider things said in this thread.
They're both port towns with populations under 400k, where the US Navy is the largest employer. Neither is a destination. They both house second-tier state universities. Neither has much in the way of cultural institutions. Neither has pro sports. CC is more populous and denser.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:49 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
Norfolk is definitely first tier along with Richmond, Jacksonville, Louisville, Memphis and Nashville. Its somewhat isolated location in the southeast corner of Virginia away from major Interstate Highways and its proximity to nearby cities (Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News) serve to detract from the city's perceived importance IMO.
No.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:21 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
They're both port towns with populations under 400k, where the US Navy is the largest employer. Neither is a destination. They both house second-tier state universities. Neither has much in the way of cultural institutions. Neither has pro sports. CC is more populous and denser.
One clear difference. Norfolk is one of the key city if not the key city in a metro of 1.5 million. Corpus Christi, well, isn't.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:34 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
Norfolk is in the first tier, and definitely the whole Hampton Roads area. I see it as a step behind Raleigh but not that large of a step, they're just different. Raleigh has RTP which brings in tons of transplants but Norfolk has the military. Richmond is arguably a step behind Norfolk but the two are about equal if you ask me.

Oh, and Norfolk is like a cross between Charleston and Baltimore. Probably a bit more mid-Atlantic than southern, though.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:12 PM

89 posts, read 120,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Norfolk is in the first tier, and definitely the whole Hampton Roads area. I see it as a step behind Raleigh but not that large of a step, they're just different. Raleigh has RTP which brings in tons of transplants but Norfolk has the military. Richmond is arguably a step behind Norfolk but the two are about equal if you ask me.

Oh, and Norfolk is like a cross between Charleston and Baltimore. Probably a bit more mid-Atlantic than southern, though.
I couldn't have said this any better.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
One clear difference. Norfolk is one of the key city if not the key city in a metro of 1.5 million. Corpus Christi, well, isn't.
That has everything to do with the fact that Hampton Roads is seven adjacent cities, none of which are outgrowth or suburbs of Norfolk. Norfolk is a part of its metro, not the cause of it. If you visit both cities, you will see that they're peers, and CC may be slightly better.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:28 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Norfolk is a tough city to place because it is part of a multinodal metro. While it is unquestionably the premium city of Hampton Roads, its position in the national lexicon isnt nearly as clear...

This subject has arisen in other discissions a time or two on this boarf, but never in specific topic. As someone who grew up in Virginia and has an affinity for Norfolk, I see it as a step behind Raleigh and Richmond, but I'm interested in others' thoughts...

Compare based on economy, urban amenities, urbanity (city feel), demography, quality of life, wages and income, geowth rates, and educational prowess (primary and collegiate)...

Does Norfolk belong in the same tier with:
Richmond, Raleigh, Jacksonville, Memphis, Louisville, New Orleans.....

Or is it more alike:
Greensboro, Durham, Charleston, Columbia, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Knoxville...

Or is Norfolk somewhere in between?

Keep in mind when seperating the city from the metro, Virginia Beach and Newport News are also essentially anchor cities that could exist just fine sans Norfolk. Granted, VB would probably be a lot smaller in the vein of Atlantic City or Myrtle, and the News would be a 500,000 to 600,000 metro, but they'd still be self-supporting...

Thanks for the input!
Virginia Beach is the first place on the East Coast I lived after growing up on the West Coast (born in California, moved to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho and then went to college in Seattle before moving east).

I have to be honest, I had never heard of Norfolk before this. I don't think Norfolk is nationally known, but maybe I was just too far away way out west. I'm not quite sure where it fits in the US cities scheme. I wouldn't place it with Memphis, Louisville or New Orleans, which do have national reputations due for historical and or cultural reasons. But it does have a good amount of urban amenities. I think it's a cut above Columbia, Greensboro and Knoxville because of this.

I guess if I had to pick a peer, which is very difficult to to do, I'd pick Chattanooga. Different cities, but similar offerings and both are relatively unknown outside of their regions but appreciated within them.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:30 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
I still maintain that Norfolk/Hampton Roads is ridiculously underrated.
I agree. It's a cool area with a lot to offer, but it's not well known nationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City