Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the 3rd best Downtown?
Philadelphia 65 38.69%
San Francisco 77 45.83%
None 26 15.48%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 11:16 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Really? It's not an ugly building by any means, but it isn't a masterpiece, either. No one really cared when they blew it up in Independence Day. When the best things to be said about it are a) it has great seismic engineering, b) it has the highest helipad in the world, and c) they're adding a slide to it, it just comes across as a gimmicky building that gets gassed up due to being in Hollywood. 7/10. It gets the job done due to its height and LA's paucity of tall skyscrapers, but a "far better design"? I understand subjectivity, but this comes across as just blatant hating, especially when Philly has gems like One Liberty and BNY Mellon Center. Again, it's all subjective, but "far better" is a strong shot to take.
Oh yeah, that building is stunning. The only thing I dont love about it is the 'US Bank' logo on top. Its one of the most beautiful buildings in the US. Just look at it close up, its super tall and slender, has a very interesting shape and isnt another glass box. The high roof makes it look taller than a One Liberty or any spired building. One liberty is ok, but is a glass knock off of Chrysler in NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Also, San Francisco's skyline benefits from its setting more than any other city in America, even Seattle. The geography has to give the 'wow' factor that the skyline really doesn't give on its own. No one outside of SF can even name a skyscraper besides the "weird pyramid building". "Buildings" like Coit Tower and Sutro Tower have to pick up the slack. And it's telling when the most iconic structure in the city has to be included on nearly every single postcard/skyline shot. You don't see the Brooklyn Bridge in nearly every shot of the One World Trade Center, for example. SF skyline = Bridges/bay/mountains > actual skyline. There are a lot of things San Francisco does better than Philadelphia (or any other city), but skyline isn't one of them.
It does certainly benefit by setting. People know the Transamerica tower by name, more than any in Philly. Its also the size of the skyline, SF's is just larger...

Old 04-14-2016, 11:51 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,771 times
Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram - SkyscraperPage.com
San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram - SkyscraperPage.com
Philly has better skyscraper architecture than San Francisco and it's not even close. Look at how many generic box skyscrapers that San Francisco has lol.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Philly has better skyscraper architecture than San Francisco and it's not even close. Look at how many generic box skyscrapers that San Francisco has lol.

Totally disagree, part of that for me is that both Comcasts are a bit ugly. Really I think the first 5 for SF are stellar.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:08 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Totally disagree, part of that for me is that both Comcasts are a bit ugly. Really I think the first 5 for SF are stellar.
Lol you think the Bank of America (555 California) is STELLAR??? Stellarly ugly? Stellarly unappealing? A stellar example of how ugly a skyscraper can be? The Embarcaderos are ugly too. The only appealing buildings SF has are Salesforce soon, Transamerica, Millennium, and One Rincon Hill. The rest are either just ugly or a straight up rectangle with windows. Philly has a lot of boxes too, but at least its tallest are generally more visually pleasing. You might think the Comcasts are a bit ugly, but at least they're not generic shoe boxes.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Lol you think the Bank of America (555 California) is STELLAR??? Stellarly ugly? Stellarly unappealing? A stellar example of how ugly a skyscraper can be? The Embarcaderos are ugly too. The only appealing buildings SF has are Salesforce soon, Transamerica, Millennium, and One Rincon Hill. The rest are either just ugly or a straight up rectangle with windows. Philly has a lot of boxes too, but at least its tallest are generally more visually pleasing. You might think the Comcasts are a bit ugly, but at least they're not generic shoe boxes.

I love BoA, it has an interesting form, anyone who things its just a box doesnt understand. 555 Ca, yes I love it to, the matching spires are cool in a different way. Embarcaderos are of an era, that has aged ok, kind of like a smaller Rockefeller.
Salesforce and 181 Fremont are much better looking than, Millenium/One Rincon and anything in Philly.
The comcasts are more than a bit ugly. I know its subjective but they may be the worst looking supertalls in the US.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:14 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Quote:
Yea, I don't get it either. As I've said, San Francisco legitimately does many things better than Philadelphia, but skyscrapers ain't one of them. The fact that someone just called 345 California Center stellar blows my mind lol.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:16 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I love BoA, it has an interesting form, anyone who things its just a box doesnt understand. 555 Ca, yes I love it to, the matching spires are cool in a different way. Embarcaderos are of an era, that has aged ok, kind of like a smaller Rockefeller.
Salesforce and 181 Fremont are much better looking than, Millenium/One Rincon and anything in Philly.
The comcasts are more than a bit ugly. I know its subjective but they may be the worst looking supertalls in the US.
BoA is 555 California

Also I worked in that tower. It's ugly. Beautiful views, but an unimpressive building. It's a giant brown shoe box with some texture to it sitting in a boring plaza with like one cafe in the basement.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
BoA is 555 California

Also I worked in that tower. It's ugly. Beautiful views, but an unimpressive building. It's a giant brown shoe box with some texture to it sitting in a boring plaza with like one cafe in the basement.

I meant 345 California Ctr

BoA is great.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...hspart=mozilla

Last edited by slo1318; 04-14-2016 at 12:47 PM..

Old 04-14-2016, 01:42 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
555 California is a very chic building whose design exudes power and importance( even the color screams authority) and that makes sense because this trophiest of west coast trophy buildings was built to house the world headquarters of Bank of America-I worked at HQ until the merger.

It last sold for $1.03 billion in 2007 to Vornado/ Trump.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:57 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
555 California is a very chic building whose design exudes power and importance( even the color screams authority) and that makes sense because this trophiest of west coast trophy buildings was built to house the world headquarters of Bank of America-I worked at HQ until the merger.

It last sold for $1.03 billion in 2007 to Vornado/ Trump.
Three Logan Square > 555 California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City