Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the 3rd best Downtown?
Philadelphia 65 38.69%
San Francisco 77 45.83%
None 26 15.48%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:31 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
San Francisco is literally the Steph Curry of cities. So small that no one wants to give it credit for anything, but does certain things so well that it's hard to deny its greatness.
Interesting analogy that might actually work, though I do think Steph Curry gets a ton of credit/respect/coverage in real life. But just like SF and the Bay Area in general, Steph gets a lot of help from his supporting cast, especially Klay Thompson and Draymond Green (who would be his San Jose and Oakland). And just like SF, while he does many things well, he's pegged as being an expert in just one area (3-point shooting is his tech, I guess).

Old 03-30-2016, 11:38 AM

306 posts, read 479,616 times
Anyone know why my thread on Chicago being America's second largest downtown was deleted? I thing all the rules were followed on the forum and was curious what others said? I guess will find out America's 3rd.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:38 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I personally would say DC is behind SF and especially Chicago. Don't know about Boston and I while I've been to Philly, I don't have much experience with Center City.
I would rank Chicago #2 though all these cities are plausible candidates for rankings #2 through #5.

I think you could make a reasonable argument for any of these four cities, in any order.

DC is the most international city, and has the largest and most iconic center. Chicago has the most big city feel, and has the massive skyline, cultural anchors and transit infrastructure. Philly has the tightest streets and most human-scale neighborhoods. Boston is very similar to Philly, but a bit smaller and more upscale. SF is probably the most desirable and scenic, most appealing for visitors, and equals Chicago's retail offerings.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:40 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nah, something with that much emphasis on upscale options isn't personally appealing to me and that's pretty much it. It's not a downtown thing for me either. Philly's version of upscale shopping is King of Prussia and that's a mall, but I prefer the odder stores near and around Center City instead.
There is no kind of store in downtown Philly that downtown SF doesnt have more of, be it odd or upscale.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:48 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
San Francisco is literally the Steph Curry of cities. So small that no one wants to give it credit for anything, but does certain things so well that it's hard to deny its greatness.
ijs. While other cities are always up and coming, SF just keeps getting better and better and better... #neversatisfied

Good luck tho.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:00 PM

591 posts, read 819,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18montclair View Post
ijs. While other cities are always up and coming, sf just keeps getting better and better and better... #neversatisfied

good luck tho.
kawhi!!!!!!!!

Old 03-30-2016, 12:12 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Interesting analogy that might actually work, though I do think Steph Curry gets a ton of credit/respect/coverage in real life. But just like SF and the Bay Area in general, Steph gets a lot of help from his supporting cast, especially Klay Thompson and Draymond Green (who would be his San Jose and Oakland). And just like SF, while he does many things well, he's pegged as being an expert in just one area (3-point shooting is his tech, I guess).
Yeah, it would be interesting for another thread, but I really do think the Golden State Warriors are pretty representative of the Bay Area's stature.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:24 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,185 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Harrison Barnes is Berkeley and Andrew Bogut is Fremont.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:58 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I would rank Chicago #2 though all these cities are plausible candidates for rankings #2 through #5.

I think you could make a reasonable argument for any of these four cities, in any order.

DC is the most international city, and has the largest and most iconic center. Chicago has the most big city feel, and has the massive skyline, cultural anchors and transit infrastructure. Philly has the tightest streets and most human-scale neighborhoods. Boston is very similar to Philly, but a bit smaller and more upscale. SF is probably the most desirable and scenic, most appealing for visitors, and equals Chicago's retail offerings.
I would say Chicago has more in regards to retail. Probably the same amount variety and types of stores but more in quantity if that makes sense. In downtown Chicago you have two Macy's, two Zaras, two Forever 21s, two Targets (three if you consider the West Loop one), 3 Whole Foods, etc. I think Chicago beats SF in the sense that it has more abundance in quantity, but matches SF in regards to quality. Part of is because of Chicago's downtown size, but that's part of why I wouldn't say it's equal.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:16 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
I dont think there is any doubt DT SF is playing with Chicago for #2-3 in the US, where Philadelphia while coming on strong is a ways behind. That doesnt say anything bad about Philly because it is doing fantastic, but SF has an awful lot going for it; food, business, tourism, shopping, climate, natural beauty, density/vibrancy, new projects, high tech....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City