Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Quirky Austin or Louisville
Austin 40 70.18%
Louisville 16 28.07%
About the same (explained below) 3 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 05:47 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Austin is a state capital and has grown around the large world-class university that is the state's premier public institution. It is in a semi-arid (i.e. not-so-green) "hill country" and on a less important (transportation) river. Historically, it was never a large city, but now wears its big-boy britches quite proudly. It sits in what many believe is the most booming tech-based economy in the country and is very entrepreneurial with a huge influx of new graduates every year. In state politics, Austin punches above its weight as it's the state capital and home of UT.

Louisville is old and industrial on an important river in a subtropical/mid-continental zone ringed by hills (but the city is predominantly flat). It was historically a large city and (I get the feeling) sort of pines for its former heyday. It is not a state capital, and its main university is not the state's premier institution. It is considerably smaller in population and does not serve as a magnet for new grads.

Mind you, I'm not trying to knock Loovuhl. It's just that these cities do not give me any sense of a similar 'vibe'. If the op is referring to the grunge/weird thing, well that exists in every city of any decent size in the country.

Now, please someone tell my why they are similar.

You could not be more completely wrong about Louisville. You are making it sound like Detroit. Louisville has excellent growth, a huge construction boom with close to 5 billion in projects underway in the urban cores, 11 hotels proposed or under construction in the urban core alone, thousands of apartment units going in the urban core etc.

If you think Louisville is not a hip city like Austin, you have not been to Louisville lately. Louisville is not like "any" city in this regard. Louisville does not have as much of this hipsterdom as Austin..but it is not terribly far behind. Unless you have been to Louisville in the last few months, or been to something like Forecastle, Louisville's answer to South By Southwest, then you really cannot speak to this.

So, yes, Louisville is, to a degree, an old, inland, industrial city whose heyday has past....but it also a city that has reinvented itself and is growing more in population, and especially, urban development, than it has in probably 100 years.

Louisville doesn't attract new grads? Maybe in your mind which is throwing out blanket stereotypes, but the facts are otherwise:

http://insiderlouisville.com/busines...-young-people/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotk.../#23cf3eb42c6b

Your point that Louisville does not have its state's top university is also wrong...I would argue that Bellarmine University is probably a better all around school than UofK, and IUS is part of the Indiana system which means when you graduate from IUS, you get an IU degree. IU is ranked better than UofK
U. of Louisville is no slouch either. If UT Austin is like UofK, then UofL is like TexasA&M. Of course, Texas has MUCH better schools, but in the state of KY, U. of Louisville is not terribly far behind UofK like UT and Texas A&M.

Acting like Austin is a big city compared to Louisville? Come on now....even with all its recent growth, they are still in the 1-3 million metro range, and neither city has pro sports. They are very much in the same tier. Austin just has the bigger university, no taxes, the capitol, the weather, and most importantly, the HYPE!

Last edited by Peter1948; 04-07-2016 at 05:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 07:03 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,507,319 times
Sorry. I don't see it. I'm from Texas and actually would prefer to be in Louisville over Austin. The "old" and "industrial" description of Louisville was not meant to sound like Detroit. As you have pointed out several times here, it actually adds to the character of the city. As far as "hipsters" (oh, how I despise them!), there are only a handful of cities that are presently a draw for that demo. Any city of any size has their share. And I don't see how you can say that a city that is on track to be twice the size of another city are in the "same tier".

As far as "weird", yes Austin has it in spades. Louisville has it too, but no more than say, any other midsize city in the country. Austin simply has that rare combo of being a draw for artists/musicians, college and tech people as a hub for creative types.

So you and I will disagree that these are similar cities.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:06 AM

166 posts, read 157,978 times
I laugh at threads like this, Austin and Louisville are supposed to be weird and quirky?

I'm a jazz musician and know both cities fairly well. There is certainly a disposition in the residents of those cities that their city is "hip and quirky," but it's only because those people don't travel. Ignorance is bliss, right?

A friend and I were rehearsing the other day and Austin came up in the convo.
He lived there for 3 years and to this day chuckles at the clueless-ness of Austin in thinking their town is hip, "artsy" and "edgy." He currently lives in an apartment on Independence Avenue in Kansas City and laughed while telling me everyday he sees what he calls "crime, crazy and survival." In one day he experiences and sees more edginess, street creativity and ethnic culture on Independence Avenue than he experienced in 3 years in Austin. He doesn't mean "gangster"... every city has their slice of that. He describes it as real life survival and the creativity and crazy that comes out of that naturally. He laughs at the lemming "hordes" in Austin that look, think, and act alike while knowing only 2 chords on their guitar, imagining themselves to be creative, hip and edgy. He agreed with me that there are some outstanding musicians in Austin, but said it's unbearable wading through the thousands of garage bands and 2 chord "artists" that muck everything up.

Jazz musician Charlie Parker said; "if you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn."

Sorry Austin and Louisville, you haven't lived it (yet). You are not weird, not quirky and don't have an "edge" on any other city, unless you're comparing yourself to Des Moines or Toledo. But don't tell them that, let them swim in their fantasy.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:03 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,461 times
I think Louisville is a lot more authentically, or actually, quirkier and weirder. Austin is pretty easy to figure out. Louisville has a lot of layers...

Old 04-07-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Sorry. I don't see it. I'm from Texas and actually would prefer to be in Louisville over Austin. The "old" and "industrial" description of Louisville was not meant to sound like Detroit. As you have pointed out several times here, it actually adds to the character of the city. As far as "hipsters" (oh, how I despise them!), there are only a handful of cities that are presently a draw for that demo. Any city of any size has their share. And I don't see how you can say that a city that is on track to be twice the size of another city are in the "same tier".

As far as "weird", yes Austin has it in spades. Louisville has it too, but no more than say, any other midsize city in the country. Austin simply has that rare combo of being a draw for artists/musicians, college and tech people as a hub for creative types.

So you and I will disagree that these are similar cities.
Actually we agree alot...Louisville has lots of true "hippies" almost. Austin has gotten all yuppie.

The different layers of Louisville couldn't be a more accurate description.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:54 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Merill View Post

He lived there for 3 years and to this day chuckles at the clueless-ness of Austin in thinking their town is hip, "artsy" and "edgy." He currently lives in an apartment on Independence Avenue in Kansas City and laughed while telling me everyday he sees what he calls "crime, crazy and survival." In one day he experiences and sees more edginess, street creativity and ethnic culture on Independence Avenue than he experienced in 3 years in Austin. He doesn't mean "gangster"... every city has their slice of that. He describes it as real life survival and the creativity and crazy that comes out of that naturally. He laughs at the lemming "hordes" in Austin that look, think, and act alike while knowing only 2 chords on their guitar, imagining themselves to be creative, hip and edgy. He agreed with me that there are some outstanding musicians in Austin, but said it's unbearable wading through the thousands of garage bands and 2 chord "artists" that muck everything up.
This is how I look at Austin. Not necessarily in the music scene.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:24 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,727,326 times
I like both cities, but I don't consider either very quirky. Asheville, NC is a better example of a qurky city, imo.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:11 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,082 times
Unfortunately, Austin isn't all that weird anymore.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:37 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I think the two cities are similar. Louisville is only "smaller" as it has less suburbs like Round Rock, etc, which are not booming as much as Austin.

I keep saying this but Louisville reminds me very much of Austin circa 1998. That said, Louisville cannot become Austin for a few reasons, mainly, its location further north and its position in KY whereby it gives away 1 dollar to rural, BFE Kentucky for every 66 cents it receives back from the state. So basically the rural, high tax state of KY steals from its economic engine to feed pipe dreams in rural parts of the state that would decline even if they built Trump towers there.

The only way Louisville can change this? Is by enacting the Local option sales tax (LIFT) which would allow the city to keep a portion of its sales taxes generated to better itself....infrastructure, parks, businesses, rehabs of historic buildings, and attracting amenities...like the new planned MLS soccer stadium that is unlikely to happen without that kind of tax. The catch 22 is agrarian minded KY politicians must approve this LIFT tax to even go on the ballot, and that is unlikely. So, Austin's ace is really its location in the heart of its state, which is TX. Being a capitol helps too.

if this tax happens:

Home | Lift Kentucky

Really watch out for Louisville. It will realize its potential because it can do for itself what the state of KY refuses to do for it because it is too busy stealing tax dollars from Louisville to bolster Hazard (insert rural Appalachian town), KY
Is there any city out there that reminds anyone of Austin circa 1989-1992-93ish? That would be a place I would visit.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Merill View Post
I laugh at threads like this, Austin and Louisville are supposed to be weird and quirky?

I'm a jazz musician and know both cities fairly well. There is certainly a disposition in the residents of those cities that their city is "hip and quirky," but it's only because those people don't travel. Ignorance is bliss, right?

Jazz musician Charlie Parker said; "if you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn."

Sorry Austin and Louisville, you haven't lived it (yet). You are not weird, not quirky and don't have an "edge" on any other city, unless you're comparing yourself to Des Moines or Toledo. But don't tell them that, let them swim in their fantasy.
I have traveled and lived all over the USA. Louisville is an extremely quirky city. Bar none. Austin was the same way, but it has evolved into a yuppy sunbelt boomtown....still very "weird," but that element is now in the background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City