Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The most important?
Baltimore 62 29.25%
Cincinnati 14 6.60%
Cleveland 39 18.40%
Pittsburgh 51 24.06%
Saint Louis 46 21.70%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 01:10 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Weird thread. Dayton isn't even part of the Cincy CSA. Now people are adding random metros to CSAs?

It's like saying "Cincy is the biggest city in the world, if you just add Tokyo to the CSA". Well, yeah.
They will be officially merged any day now, might as well start recalibrating your opinion of the emerging Cin-Day metroplex.

And Cleveland is not the only city that has a symphony that tours overseas.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...ain/100885784/

Old 02-05-2018, 01:16 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
They will be officially merged any day now, might as well start recalibrating your opinion of the emerging Cin-Day metroplex.
No, you're making up stuff. They are not part of the same CSA, and there is no Census merger planned.
Quote:
And Cleveland is not the only city that has a symphony that tours overseas.
OK? Talk about non sequitur. No one claimed "no city but Cleveland has an orchestra that travels overseas". My high school orchestra traveled overseas.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:57 PM

527 posts, read 319,864 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh is last place when you consider CSAs
Very, very few CSAs make sens in discussion of cities. The Bay area is one that makes sense, but for most cities, it's simply pointless padding of fringes or of other metros that have some distance.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:25 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, you're making up stuff. They are not part of the same CSA, and there is no Census merger planned.

Do you realize that Cincinnati's fastest growing suburban are, Liberty Township, is just 16 miles from Daytons premier boom area, Austin Landing?

Billions of dollars in investment is flowing into the I-75 corridor and there is a very high likelihood of an official recognition of a merger in 2020. There's no stopping it at this point.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:05 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Most Europeans don't live in London or Paris, someone from Cork, Oslo, or Porto might be interested.
Thanks for the news flash about where Europeans live... Sure they might, but like I said it'd be a pretty niche group. Do you seriously think people in these cities when planning vacations are thinking about flying all the way to Cleveland because of their orchestra? And not to, you know, European capitals with high culture in spades way, way closer to home for less money? The Rock n Roll HOF seems like a more unique draw/something not as easily replicated so close.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Preposterous math. Without substantiation, you claim essentially 100 percent of Parisians have never heard of the Cleveland Orchestra, even though you personally saw a flyer for it on the Metro.

Lol, is this a joke?

Classical music is more popular in Europe than in most of the U.S., and it's not unfair to say that a very large percentage of those interested in classical music have heard of the Cleveland Orchestra, given its annual tours to Europe.

http://www.cleveland.com/musicdance/...estra_re_1.htm

O really? I live there and have been to many other European capitals for such shows, but please do educate us all on how much you know about europeans and what they like. We're still talking about a very niche group of people, get back in touch please.

Typical C-D put-down, unsubstantiated hyperbole. Wait, so you do know what a hyperbole is? and you still wrote that first part? Wow...

The French must know much more about American history than most Americans do of French history. Given Americans' paltry knowledge of their own history (as someone who watches Jeopardy regularly), I doubt if many Americans could tell you much about Waterloo, let alone the decade in which it was fought. A vast majority of Americans who could tell you that Waterloo was a battle in which Napoleon suffered his final defeat likely don't know the country in which the battle took place (United Kingdom of Netherlands then; Belgium today).

Now if you said that many more Europeans know about Cleveland because of LeBron James and the Cavaliers than the Cleveland Orchestra, I likely would have believed you You likely would have???. To claim that St. Louis is more renown in France because of the Louisiana Purchase strains credibility IMO. And certainly in music crazed Austria and Germany, even that preposterous claim would have no bearing.

I talked about France with that comment (although I was in Vienna in November and went to the opera), where I've been living for the last decade. My wife is french,
child, inlaws, most coworkers, etc. My work takes me all around France and often to other European countries, so where I'm from def comes up in conversations which has lead to a lot of conversations about US cities.

BTW, are you American? If so, from what city?
Yep, sure am. I have STL in my name and we've met in many threads here, you seem to be struggling. I've lived however in numerous cities in the US and abroad, including the aforementioned current decade in France.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Do you realize that Cincinnati's fastest growing suburban are, Liberty Township, is just 16 miles from Daytons premier boom area, Austin Landing?

Billions of dollars in investment is flowing into the I-75 corridor and there is a very high likelihood of an official recognition of a merger in 2020. There's no stopping it at this point.
No stopping what? Sprawl? Cincy boosters being obsessed with something most on here see as a negative? The east coast is pretty built up, do you count all of the Boswash corridor as NYC? What do Dayton posters think of this btw?

Old 02-13-2018, 07:17 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Thanks for the news flash about where Europeans live... Sure they might, but like I said it'd be a pretty niche group. Do you seriously think people in these cities when planning vacations are thinking about flying all the way to Cleveland because of their orchestra? And not to, you know, European capitals with high culture in spades way, way closer to home for less money? The Rock n Roll HOF seems like a more unique draw/something not as easily replicated so close.
Well they wouldn't come here just for that, but say they went to Niagara Falls or something, Cleveland is only 3 hours away so they might jump down there for something. I am not saying they'll fly all the way to Cleveland when Paris is closer but if they already are planning a trip to the US they might consider adding it to the itinerary.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:10 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
The average European, like the average American, doesn't really know boo about classical music or art. They like to think they do, but they really don't (there's a reason the arts are so heavily subsidized in Europe, as people left to their own devices simply don't attend!). So no, I don't think they would come to Cleveland to see the orchestra.

However, ones who actually do know the scene, absolutely would. It is a great stop for educated tourists looking to see top quality stuff and not drop thousands. You might be surprised if you ever go to Severance Hall some time.

Although I agree with you that the Rock Hall brings in way more tourists.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:55 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Although I agree with you that the Rock Hall brings in way more tourists.
If you read tripadvisor.com's road trips forum, foreigners travel through northern Ohio on the way to Chicago for three reasons: 1) Rock Hall, 2) Ohio Amish Country, and, probably most importantly in the late spring and summer, 3) Cedar Point. Germans and German speakers get a kick out of conversing with the Amish in German.

Otherwise, it's shorter to drive straight to Windsor/Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City