Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The most important?
Baltimore 62 29.25%
Cincinnati 14 6.60%
Cleveland 39 18.40%
Pittsburgh 51 24.06%
Saint Louis 46 21.70%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 05:55 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Do you realize that Cincinnati's fastest growing suburban are, Liberty Township, is just 16 miles from Daytons premier boom area, Austin Landing?

Billions of dollars in investment is flowing into the I-75 corridor and there is a very high likelihood of an official recognition of a merger in 2020. There's no stopping it at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
No stopping what? Sprawl? Cincy boosters being obsessed with something most here see as a negative. The east coast is pretty built up, do you count all of the Boswash corridor as NYC? What do Dayton posters think of this btw?
You're projecting two conclusions that you can't necessarily draw from midwest1's observations concerning CIN-DAY nor from other forum members you mentioned. As he pointed out here and I have elsewhere, without obsessing, this particular I-75 corridor is an expanding reality giving Cincinnati and Dayton a distinct economic lift over numerous other Midwestern cities. Although there are disadvantages to such growth, they're far outweighed by its advantages.

Obviously, even a CIN-DAY CSA designation wouldn't come anywhere close to Baltimore's CSA, except for just one thing: technically speaking, Baltimore, itself, doesn't have a CSA that does not include Washington DC and Arlington, VA.* This tie-in is the strongest advantage Baltimore possesses over other cities here; otherwise several of these cities, especially Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, surpass it in significant categories.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area
Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area 9,665,892 9,051,961 +6.78% Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area

Old 02-15-2018, 02:26 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,653,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post

Obviously, even a CIN-DAY CSA designation wouldn't come anywhere close to Baltimore's CSA, except for just one thing: technically speaking, Baltimore, itself, doesn't have a CSA that does not include Washington DC and Arlington, VA.* This tie-in is the strongest advantage Baltimore possesses over other cities here; otherwise several of these cities, especially Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, surpass it in significant categories.
"...especially Cincinnati and Pittsburgh", huh? Curious to know what "significant categories" you're referring to. Are you talking about central city crime rate? Ok, I give you that. What else? Because St. Louis surpasses Cincinnati in most significant categories and you seem to be in denial about that. Population? Check. GDP? Check. Media market rank? Check. Airport and rail passenger traffic? Check. Transit? Check. Universities/Hospitals? Check.

Last edited by STLgasm; 02-15-2018 at 02:37 PM..

Old 02-15-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
"...especially Cincinnati and Pittsburgh", huh? Curious to know what "significant categories" you're referring to. Are you talking about central city crime rate? Ok, I give you that. What else? Because St. Louis surpasses Cincinnati in most significant categories and you seem to be in denial about that. Population? Check. GDP? Check. Media market rank? Check. Airport and rail passenger traffic? Check. Transit? Check. Universities/Hospitals? Check.
Quote:
Meanwhile, Cincinnati dominates St. Louis in its number of nationally and globally important corporations and business connections plus branding/marketing/retailing power. After this, it surpasses St. Louis in CSA/MSA/City population growth; job growth; river port tonnage and importance; overwhelming airport importance (AMAZON-DHL); logistical location (I-75); manufacturing importance (world's largest producer of commercial jet engines) and the growth of CIN-DAY (Ohio's "Aerospace Corridor") - which is projected to soon make Cincinnati a larger MSA than St. Louis...
Lather, rinse, repeat. Then bookmark it.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:31 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Stlgasm,

Something you may fail to realize is that the area between Cincinnati and Dayton has two small legacy industrial river cities, Hamilton and Middletown, both of which are showing signs of urban revival, breweries, artisan distillers, art galleries, wine/coffee bars, yoga studios, all in a legacy urban environment.

There are other towns along the way, Mason, Franklin, Trenton, Miamisburg that have small historic cores that add to the character of the I-75 corridor.

And heck, even Liberty Center and Austin Landing are incorporating residential/apartments into the mix, it's not all a strip mall.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:09 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
You're projecting two conclusions that you can't necessarily draw from midwest1's observations concerning CIN-DAY nor from other forum members you mentioned. As he pointed out here and I have elsewhere, without obsessing, this particular I-75 corridor is an expanding reality giving Cincinnati and Dayton a distinct economic lift over numerous other Midwestern cities. Although there are disadvantages to such growth, they're far outweighed by its advantages.

Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area 9,665,892 9,051,961 +6.78% Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area
Put Baltimore's MSA against the CSA's of the other cities.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:19 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,290 times
Quote:
Lather, rinse, repeat. Then bookmark it.
Seems to me like he used a lot solid facts that put St. Louis on top of Cincy (population, gdp, media market etc.) while you want to use various rates taken from a single moment in time. Some random sunbelt suburb probably grew faster than cities like NYC, London, and Paris, that doesn't make them more important. Cincy can grow faster, but St. Louis is still way ahead of it.

Other than that you're throwing out some relatively subjective things, or trying to move the goal posts (a company HQ standing in for Cincy, jet engines... orchestras... oops! wrong poster!), because you have nothing to deal with these hard facts (even though they were good enough for you to use against Cleveland... oops, you'll just keep downplaying them with St. Louis).

Old 02-15-2018, 10:26 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,290 times
Quote:

How about you answer what I posted, is the entire Boswash corridor just NYC then??? Just becaus there's stuff in between? How far away from a city do you have to get for it to not be a part of the city? "Cin-Day" ( ) isn't even recognized yet, but even if it was, it's not a stand-in for Cincy. Just like the Boswash corridor numbers don't magically count for NYC's numbers, 1/3 of Ohio doesn't equal Cincy (it just makes this look sad). OTR is awesome Cincy, Dayton is Dayton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Stlgasm,

Something you may fail to realize is that the area between Cincinnati and Dayton has two small legacy industrial river cities, Hamilton and Middletown, both of which are showing signs of urban revival, breweries, artisan distillers, art galleries, wine/coffee bars, yoga studios, all in a legacy urban environment.

There are other towns along the way, Mason, Franklin, Trenton, Miamisburg that have small historic cores that add to the character of the I-75 corridor.

And heck, even Liberty Center and Austin Landing are incorporating residential/apartments into the mix, it's not all a strip mall.
... and what does this mean to you in the context of this thread? It's not important...

Old 02-16-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Put Baltimore's MSA against the CSA's of the other cities.
Okay, as per your request...
CSA
Cleveland - 3,483,311
St. Louis - 2,911,769
Baltimore
- 2,798,886 (MSA)
Pittsburgh - 2,635,228
Cincinnati - 2,224,231

Old 02-16-2018, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Seems to me like he used a lot of solid facts that put St. Louis on top of Cincy (population, gdp, media market etc.) while you want to use various rates taken from a single moment in time. Some random sunbelt suburb probably grew faster than cities like NYC, London, and Paris, that doesn't make them more important. Cincy can grow faster, but St. Louis is still way ahead of it.
So did I, but you chose to ignore them because they didn't fit your narrative. Next, your comparison of sunbelt cities-vs-NYC, London and Paris simply doesn't work as an analogy of Cincinnati-vs-St.Louis, wherein population differences are so less extreme.
Quote:
Other than that you're throwing out some really subjective things, or trying to move the goal posts (a company HQ standing in for Cincy, jet engines... orchestras... oops! wrong poster!), because you have nothing to deal with these hard facts (even though they were good enough for you to use against Cleveland... oops, you'll just keep downplaying them with St. Louis).
By ignoring facts I presented in order to fit your own narrative, you present the same problem. You've also garbled what I've said to fit this narrative, such as your twisted comment concerning Cincinnati's production of jet engines. It's obvious that you mean to minimize the sheer importance of GE Aviation being headquartered in Cincinnati and that the company's design, production and testing of commercial jet engines is centered in Cincinnati. The only "subjective" observation that I might add is that if GE (headquartered in Boston) ever breaks up as a company - a real possibility, considering its dire circumstances - its Aviation Division will most certainly remain headquartered in Cincinnati - thus giving the city a third F100 company.

At this time, my best suggestion to you and your St. Louis play pal is that you quit tripping over each other in such desperation to move the goal posts yourselves in order to construct two erroneous narratives.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:50 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,653,746 times
Maybe motorman doesn’t realize that Boeing’s military division is headquartered in St. Louis... it’s true- the company’s design, production and testing happen here.

Woo hoo, but the manufacture of jets/jet engines isn’t the deciding factor of a city’s importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City