U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for a mid 20 year old.
Waterloo, IA 0 0%
Scranton, PA 1 3.23%
Bangor, ME 0 0%
Billings, MT 3 9.68%
Fayetteville, SC 3 9.68%
Green Bay, WI 3 9.68%
Great Falls, MT 0 0%
Lake Charles, LA 1 3.23%
Mansfield, OH 1 3.23%
Sioux City, IA 2 6.45%
Portland, ME 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 2,934 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old single guy, and like the title says, I got a new job and am required to rank a list of cities they gave me to move to. Most of these cities don't really seem like my cup of tea, but to be fair I don't know a lot about the lifestyle of them.

I guess it would help to know a little bit about me. Originally I am from New Jersey (so I'm used to a high cost of living). I live about a mile from the beach and that's one of my favorite parts about living here (yeah, I know, Jersey beaches suck.) I'm generally pretty active; surfing, snowboarding (spent a lot of my childhood in Vermont), hiking, going to the gym. I generally like the outdoors, but tend to prefer it more in the warmer months. When I go out I prefer somewhat active bars and pubs over clubs. That being said, I don't go out every weekend, but I would like to have the ability to have that close, preferably with people of a similar age group. For reference, some of my favorite cities are San Diego, Portland Oregon, Seattle, and Boston.

The list of possible locations which I have to rank:

* Waterloo, Iowa
* Scranton, Pennsylvania
* Bangor, Maine
* Billings, Montana
* Fayetteville, North Carolina
* Green Bay, Wisconsin
* Great Falls, Montana
* Lake Charles, Louisiana
* Mansfield, Ohio
* Sioux City, Iowa
* Portland, Maine

For pay I'd be starting at around 60k and getting bumped up to around 65k-95k (depending on the location) once I am out of my on the job training. I'd make the most in Portland, followed by Fayetteville. After that, Billings, Green Bay, and Lake Charles are all the same, and finally Waterloo, Scranton, Bangor, Great Falls, Mansfield, and Sioux City, which are all the same as well.

Portland and Scranton are really the only two cities I know about. I love Portland, so that will be my number 1 for sure, and I'll probably put Scranton as number 2 just because it's close to where I'm from, but ultimately I don't really have anything tying me here. I also lived in Mississippi for 6 months when I was in the military and had an overall good time there.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about any of the locations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 09:32 PM

6,919 posts, read 7,919,191 times
I live in North Carolina. You really don't want to live in Fayetteville, just trust me on this, especially since your a single 25 y/o. It's the black sheep of the state.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I live in North Carolina. You really don't want to live in Fayetteville, just trust me on this, especially since your a single 25 y/o. It's the black sheep of the state.
Yeah, unfortunately that's what I've heard about the area. It's too bad, too, because from my experience, I love most of North Carolina. Any decent areas to live outside of it, preferably close to RDU?

Old 04-10-2016, 10:01 PM

48 posts, read 24,833 times
I've heard that Sioux City, IA has a negative reputation but I haven't been there. What I can tell you is that Mansfield is poor and depressing. They have good potato chips there but that's not enough to save the city from its problems.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:19 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,860,005 times
On that list I would probably go with Portland. Green Bay would probably be my second choice.

Waterloo, Iowa isn't a bad place. It is an old railroad town. It is the only place in Iowa with a deeply rooted black community. I think it would be boring if you were a young person looking for excitement. If you were a bit older and wanted to settle down it would be a great place for a young family. You could live like a king there on $60k.

I've heard that Billings is a nice place but very isolated.

I haven't been to Scranton since the '90s but back then it was a wretched dump of a rust belt town.

I've never been to Sioux City but everybody I know who has says it is boring and nondescript.

I have no opinions of any of the other places

Old 04-10-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
On that list I would probably go with Portland. Green Bay would probably be my second choice.

Waterloo, Iowa isn't a bad place. It is an old railroad town. It is the only place in Iowa with a deeply rooted black community. I think it would be boring if you were a young person looking for excitement. If you were a bit older and wanted to settle down it would be a great place for a young family. You could live like a king there on $60k.

I've heard that Billings is a nice place but very isolated.

I haven't been to Scranton since the '90s but back then it was a wretched dump of a rust belt town.

I've never been to Sioux City but everybody I know who has says it is boring and nondescript.

I have no opinions of any of the other places
Waterloo was actually pretty high up on my list, so that's good to hear. From what it seems, Cedar Rapids would be a more fitting place for me. How is the crowd and culture of Cedar Rapids?

Not much has changed with Scranton. The only reasons that's sort of high on my list is it's pretty close to where I'm originally from.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:42 PM

1,564 posts, read 919,365 times
Your job has some really bad locations. Avoid fayettville nc. Nothing is there. Mansfield oh is big on drug dealing. Been thruough nost big cities in iowa and they all seem boring. I would go with green bay just because im a packers fan. If i wasnt i would be in a bind of where to go also

Old 04-10-2016, 11:57 PM

5,011 posts, read 2,843,969 times
You are young and will likely move a few times so I'd look into Fayetteville for the pay and you can get to the beaches easy enough as well as the Appalachians. Charlotte and Charleston are reasonably close. There could be some culture shock coming from New Jersey and a big military base but that's just part of it. If you really like brutal winters there are several spots on your list.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:12 AM

19,932 posts, read 21,503,450 times
Billings is an interesting place and in a pretty decent setting.

Have never been to Green Bay, but have always thought the location interesting and there is a university there which can help liven things up in small cities.

Portland is great, so obviously you've already made it your first choice.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:38 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,860,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tronpalmer View Post
Waterloo was actually pretty high up on my list, so that's good to hear. From what it seems, Cedar Rapids would be a more fitting place for me. How is the crowd and culture of Cedar Rapids?

Not much has changed with Scranton. The only reasons that's sort of high on my list is it's pretty close to where I'm originally from.
I've never been to Cedar Rapids, but I have a friend from college there who likes it. He is a videographer for PBS and can live wherever he wants so I guess that is a bit of an endorsement. Iowa as a whole is a bit undersold on the coasts but it is a nice place, friendly and more worldly than people imagine. As a general rule of thumb, eastern Iowa is more blue state in vibe and culture while western Iowa is more red state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or