Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 03:44 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times

Advertisements

I'll add to WRNative's Group:

Chicago: 5:00
Toronto: 4:25
Louisville (KY Derby): 5:02
Shenandoah National Park: 5:15
Washington, DC: 5:35

(Times are as measured from Downtown)

Old 05-03-2016, 03:55 PM

638 posts, read 623,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I have an immense background in sports and mostly enjoy great athletes, performances, and competitive games.

If you don't think everybody in Cleveland is having a great time watching the Cavs pursue an NBA title, you're dense IMO.

If a Cleveland team won a championship, I would remember it, but some of my favorite sports memories involved moments that nobody would write about, such as a basketball game between Cleveland area high school all-stars led by Clark Kellogg and the Soviet "Junior" Men's Team (really men in their young 20s). I thought it would be a rout by the Soviets when I first saw the teams warming up, but that was before I saw Clark Kellogg slam-dunking (it was new then, and even the Soviets were in awe).

Cleveland eventually will win a championship in something, but KC still likely won't have an NBA team. And St. Louis won't have an NFL team or an NBA team.

Having five pro sports franchises downtown, including three major pro sports franchises, invigorates downtown Cleveland immensely year-round. I also wouldn't trade that for the situation in KC.

So would I trade the Cleveland pro sports scene for that in KC. No way. And I don't think many sports fans and certainly city/civic leaders would make the trade either.
NBA is nice but having solid NFL and elite MLB teams trumps that imo. I don't care how popular my teams are nationally, what matters is championships. Would never trade Royals/Chiefs for any team in Cleveland.

BTW, KC has had an NBA and NHL team since Cleveland's last title...

Last edited by Moboy32; 05-03-2016 at 04:16 PM..

Old 05-03-2016, 04:56 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
NBA is nice but having solid NFL and elite MLB teams trumps that imo. I don't care how popular my teams are nationally, what matters is championships. Would never trade Royals/Chiefs for any team in Cleveland.

BTW, KC has had an NBA and NHL team since Cleveland's last title...
I understand that you have loyalty to your teams.

My point is that if some other city said was told that they only could have either Cleveland's pro sports scene, with 3 major league downtown sports venues and the possibility (if not likelihood) of winning future championships, or they could have KC's pro sports scene, I doubt that many cities would take the KC option.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I understand that you have loyalty to your teams.

My point is that if some other city said was told that they only could have either Cleveland's pro sports scene, with 3 major league downtown sports venues and the possibility (if not likelihood) of winning future championships, or they could have KC's pro sports scene, I doubt that many cities would take the KC option.

It's more than just loyalty. Kansas City's 2 teams are objectively more successful than Cleveland's 3, unless the amount of social media "likes" are your way of gauging a teams success (Cavaliers).

I don't think San Francisco would be willing to trade either of their teams for Cleveland's three, and neither would KC.

I guess I'm looking at this more from a sports-fan perspective than a "who has more big-league teams regardless of success" view.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:51 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
It's more than just loyalty. Kansas City's 2 teams are objectively more successful than Cleveland's 3, unless the amount of social media "likes" are your way of gauging a teams success (Cavaliers).

I don't think San Francisco would be willing to trade either of their teams for Cleveland's three, and neither would KC.

I guess I'm looking at this more from a sports-fan perspective than a "who has more big-league teams regardless of success" view.

Oh yeah kick down another city to make yourself better or feel better about the city you live. Since KC and damn near all of America loves to kick down Cleveland so much just your a-hole newspaper did for Cleveland getting the RNC. Yes, our river caught fire...over 45 years ago, our sports teams haven't won. I bet you and people who think like you probably say among each other, "We're so better than Cleveland" so you or KC can feel superior to somebody. Plus a lot of folks love to see Cleveland fail so it can continue to be America's whipping boy so you can say or think "At least we're not them."

Old 05-03-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Oh yeah kick down another city to make yourself better or feel better about the city you live. Since KC and damn near all of America loves to kick down Cleveland so much just your a-hole newspaper did for Cleveland getting the RNC. Yes, our river caught fire...over 45 years ago, our sports teams haven't won. I bet you and people who think like you probably say among each other, "We're so better than Cleveland" so you or KC can feel superior to somebody.
Maybe you should read the whole thread. My feelings have nothing to do with Cleveland and everything to do with how I feel about sports franchises in general. Also, the quality of sports teams has little to do with how great a city is. I haven't said anything derogatory towards Cleveland.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:03 PM

31 posts, read 33,730 times
I respect people for loving Cleveland but let's be honest. It's one of the last places I would ever want to live in America. If you ask anyone West of the Mississippi, South of the Mason Dixon line where they would rather live they would choose KC over Clevelend too. I never meet a cleveland transplant that has much nice to say about it. Cleveland is super cold and cloudy most of the year the weather is just unbearable unless your from there , run down, crime ridden, very segregated and there teams always lose.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should read the whole thread. My feelings have nothing to do with Cleveland and everything to do with how I feel about sports franchises in general. I haven't said anything derogatory towards Cleveland.

When you talk about the lack of sports success in Cleveland that is derogatory because people like you think that all Cleveland is losing sports teams, a river that caught on fire and population loss. Do a Google search on Cleveland and get to know it instead of just judging it by the media. I was rooting for the Royals last year and I was happy when they won because they broke their drought and it gave me hope for Cleveland. But, now since y'all had y'all success you can't do the same for us, you're saying "We got our ring so *********." That's a damn insult. It makes me feel like that y'all want Cleveland stay on the bottom. I bet you want the Cavs to lose in The Finals.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:09 PM

31 posts, read 33,730 times
Clevelands culture revolves around Cleveland natives denial of how horrible it really is to anyone who isn't from there and accustomed to the horrible blight, rude people, oppressive weather and pride in sports teams that have been horrible longer than most Cleveland residents have been alive.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimGravy View Post
I respect people for loving Cleveland but let's be honest. It's one of the last places I would ever want to live in America. If you ask anyone West of the Mississippi, South of the Mason Dixon line where they would rather live they would choose KC over Clevelend too. I never meet a cleveland transplant that has much nice to say about it. Cleveland is super cold and cloudy most of the year the weather is just unbearable unless your from there , run down, crime ridden, very segregated and there teams always lose.

See there goes my point. You never been to Cleveland but you wanna trash it just say I wouldn't want to live there. Have you ever been to Cleveland or do you go by the stereotypes like other ignorant people? And, KC isn't exactly 70 degrees from October-March either. And, you want to talk about crime KC has a lot of crime too every city has segregated parts even your beloved KC. Please use spell and grammar check before you post next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City