Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 02:43 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayyWhatt View Post
That's funny, because 2 weeks is the maximum I would personally give to those "fun in sun" type places like LA, San Diego, Honolulu. After that it just gets old, and ain't so fun anymore.

I'll be willing to bet that if more people who visit had spent more than 2 weeks in those places (which most don't), this romanticization that certain people have with those kind of climates would see a noticeable decrease.
I wouldn't take that bet, I feel like a lot of east coast people have an easier time moving west, and often don't go back because they get used to the weather. West coasters (Californians specifically), have a harder time making the reverse move. I've heard Bill Simmons (my favorite sports columnist, Boston-born) talk about this many a time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 02:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
I would disagree with the most part at the end. I do however think that most that rate those climates highly, aside from people who live there, do so with less than 2 weeks of experience there.
Have you ever lived in any of those climates? Because if not then how would you know how people who move there from other climates feel about it? The vast majority of people who move there have usually visited before and many times they move there specifically for the climate. The vast majority don't end up disliking it.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:45 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
I wouldn't take that bet, I feel like a lot of east coast people have an easier time moving west, and often don't go back because they get used to the weather. West coasters (Californians specifically), have a harder time making the reverse move.
I literally didn't know what a peacoat was until I left Los Angeles. Sad I know.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I literally didn't know what a peacoat was until I left Los Angeles. Sad I know.
Haha same! That kanye lyric never made sense until I moved to NYC....

Old 04-28-2016, 02:46 PM

63 posts, read 63,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
It's fun when you don't have to scrape ice off your car, shovel your driveway every morning, worry about hurricanes, tornadoes, humidity etc.
Well I don't know what type of Game of Thrones climate you lived in, where winters and summers or whatever lasts for years, but you don't have to worry about those that often in most places here.

I would say you have to worry about things like wildfires, earthquakes etc about as much if not more in your side of climate preference than you have to for hurricanes, snowstorms in the other.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Well I don't know what type of Game of Thrones climate you lived in, where winters and summers or whatever lasts for years, but you don't have to worry about those that often in most places here.

I would say you have to worry about things like wildfires, earthquakes etc about as much if not more in your side of climate preference than you have to for hurricanes, snowstorms in the other.
well, wildfires yes, but earthquakes have nothing to do with the weather.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:52 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Wildfires are specific to certain areas though. Unless you live near some hills/mountains or above a canyon you generally don't need to worry too much if at all.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZatochiBlade View Post
Many of the coastal South cities have areas that are built to the coast, and thus have sea-breezes. Houston itself is inland, but many towns/locales in the metro are on the coast, such as Kemah, Galveston, Seabrook, etc; in fact, Gulf-side sea-breezes will routinely blow into the area from evening, and on through the night, extending quite inland, especially to the southeastern areas of the city. Charleston and Savannah both are basically on the Atlantic Coast, and Tampa is on the Gulf Coast. New Orleans has a shoreline, in the form of Lake Pontcharlatrain.

So, in each of these cities/metros, if you are in the right locations, you can have mitigation by sea-breeze of summer heat and humidity.
Hmm interesting....but the average January low for Charleston is roughly 40 . Not my thing. But that is similar I guess to coastal CA. Ideally I'd like weather where I can take a comfortable morning stroll outside or relax on a balcony or enjoy evening alfresco dining. In the middle of the day is the time where I least care about the weather. If it's too hot I'll just be inside with the a/c running. Same if it's too cold. But otherwise, looks like it could be nice, if you're right near the coast. Savannah looks similar to Charleston when looking at the historic weather averages.

I agree the coastal spots in the areas you mentioned could be nice, maybe would be category 2 for me, but I would go with Miami Beach for the comfortable morning and evening temps.

It's amazing how our preferred or desired activities affect weather preference though. To be honest, if it wasn't for my love of/desire to engage in water activities, I prob wouldn't have this weather preference. But I want to swim, paddleboard, ocean kayak, maybe learn to wind surf or longboard surf (as would have to be the case to surf at all in Miami Beach, I imagine...)

Last edited by Valhallian; 04-28-2016 at 03:47 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 02:56 PM

63 posts, read 63,187 times
Quote:
I wouldn't take that bet, I feel like a lot of east coast people have an easier time moving west, and often don't go back because they get used to the weather. West coasters (Californians specifically), have a harder time making the reverse move. I've heard Bill Simmons (my favorite sports columnist, Boston-born) talk about this many a time
I'll also be willing to bet that a lot of those people who move west from east are old and/or retirees and like warmer/milder climate due to their age. If you take them out of the equation, I believe there will be more of a balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Have you ever lived in any of those climates? Because if not then how would you know how people who move there from other climates feel about it? The vast majority of people who move there have usually visited before and many times they move there specifically for the climate. The vast majority don't end up disliking it.
Yes. And I could also figure this out but speaking to people back east and asking them about how long they were there for. How many people who live east and have never stayed in the west coast long term do you get to speak to?

Old 04-28-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Haha same! That kanye lyric never made sense until I moved to NYC....
Yeah, I also didn't know what northface was. All my friends were looking at me like I was crazy when I said that. There is never a need to rock heavy jackets in L.A. so how would I know if nobody wears them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City