Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 08:03 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,435,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Inside the beltway NOVA is very urban. Tysons is next, then on to Reston. Besides that the poster failed to mention the urbanity of the MD suburbs in close connection with the District.
You've said this before. It's bs.
"Very urban" ?

How many walkable areas are there exactly?
Annandale? McLean?
North Arlington (which is huge)
Bailey crossroads isn't a vibrant area either.
If downtwown fallls Church counts, so does many LA suburbs.

Last edited by Freddy K; 04-18-2016 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 08:04 AM

Reston?
I'm from Reston. Nice try.

Reston is basically Irvine outside of a tiny area.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:08 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
I understand why people talk about Boston here, but I kinda disagree. Ok, fine, Somerville, Cambridge, and Brookline are all easy to live in without a car. However, they are really more part of the urban area than true suburbs. In almost any other city, the land mass that make up those three towns would probably just be part of the city. People who live in these places routinely walk into Boston without giving it a second thought. It's basically the same exact place.

The true suburbs of Boston are a different matter. Not a lot of people go car free in Waltham, Needham, or Melrose. Even Newton and Quincy have pretty high car ownership rates, typical of suburbs anywhere else.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:14 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think DC's walkable suburban experience is inferior to NYC, Boston, and Philadelphia. It still might be inferior to Chicago as well - I don't know Chicago that well at all honestly. But given how few and far between swathes of high density in the suburbs are these days, you have to give DC a semi-decent grade for making the effort.
So, how are downtown Silver Spring, downtown Bethesda, Rosslyn and Old Town Alexandria inferior walkable experiences to the suburbs of Boston and Philadelphia?

I really don't know.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, how are downtown Silver Spring, downtown Bethesda, Rosslyn and Old Town Alexandria inferior walkable experiences to the suburbs of Boston and Philadelphia?

I really don't know.
You hit on it with "downtown". You can get by easily without a car in almost ALL of Cambridge, Somervile and Brookline.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:31 AM

9,520 posts, read 16,501,246 times
I lived in Portland, Or for a number of years and rarely drove my vehicle. In those years I lived both in the city or suburbs. Between all the buses and light rail plus walking I got everywhere without driving. Transit service connects suburbs to suburbs to Portland. I could get to work, shopping, gyms, doctors on transit. Many needs were right by the stations or bus stops. Problem with the Portland area now though, is finding adequate and affordable housing.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:38 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I really don't know.
Two aspects. One is they tend to be islands of high density which quickly give way to typical low density suburbia, This means unless you live in an apartment within the urbanized nodes, or in a house 1-3 blocks away, you aren't really in a walkable area. Admittedly Philly can be pretty similar in that respect, but Boston isn't - there are satellite cities in the Boston metro which keep up a relatively high density (triple-decker or small-lot SFH) for many, many blocks.

The second aspect is traditional neighborhood design. The urban nodes just aren't great from a pedestrian experience for the same reason that modern CBDs aren't. The facades are boring, and tend to go for an entire block, and relatively few of them are "active" - lots of offices and apartment buildings, not too much retail. Street walls aren't maintained consistently as well. This is why even though Philly tends to be not much better than DC when it comes to keeping up the density, it wins in terms of creating a better environment for walking.

I already said that Old Town was an exception in terms of DC development. There's really nothing else quite like it outside of the District until you get to Annapolis or Fredricksburg - both of which are of course much smaller.

Last edited by eschaton; 04-18-2016 at 09:02 AM..

Old 04-18-2016, 08:41 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,545,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
You've said this before. It's bs.
"Very urban" ?

How many walkable areas are there exactly?
Annandale? McLean?
North Arlington (which is huge)
Bailey crossroads isn't a vibrant area either.
If downtwown fallls Church counts, so does many LA suburbs.

Just like i've seen you cherry pick like this before. First off this thread is about car free, non auto usage, which inner beltway Northern VA has plenty of pound for pound. Building urbanity is one thing, but transit usage is its own animal, which is where NOVA excels. You continue to reference LA suburbs, for what idk. To me it doesn't matter if Irvine "looks" more urban than say a Reston or Tysons, not if more people use transit in Reston or Tysons.

Secondly, Old Town is very urban, the Arlington nodes of Rosslyn, Clarendon, and Ballston are each very urban, Crystal City is still urban, and Potomac Yard once redeveloped with its infill Metro station will extend its urbanity to connect Crystal City to Old Town Alexandria. Again though I want to stay on focus because it's not just building urbanity that is being discussed here. Places like Arlington, Alexandria etc are very transit oriented communities even in neighborhoods where there are SFH or Townhomes not just within the Rosslyn-Clarendon-Ballston corridor. Hence why it has some of the highest transit ridership by percentage in the country.

Highest tranist ridership percentage:

1. New York City, New York - 55.66%
2. Jersey City, New Jersey - 45.82%
3. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - 39.19%
4. San Francisco, California - 34.05%
5. Boston, Massachusetts - 32.82%
6. Arlington, Virginia - 28.54%
7. Washington, D.C. - 26.61%
8. Cambridge, Massachusetts - 26.60%
9. Newark, New Jersey - 26.50%
10. Chicago, Illinois - 26.50%
11. Yonkers, New York - 24.95%
12. Daly City, California - 21.45%
13. Hartford, Connecticut - 21.19%
14. Alexandria, Virginia - 21.12%
15. Seattle, Washington - 18.19%

I don't see any LA suburbs or the city proper for that matter.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:09 AM

You said it's very urban inside the beltway. I'm not cherry picking anything. You are. A few tod nodes are the exceptiond.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Just like i've seen you cherry pick like this before. First off this thread is about car free, non auto usage, which inner beltway Northern VA has plenty of pound for pound. Building urbanity is one thing, but transit usage is its own animal, which is where NOVA excels. You continue to reference LA suburbs, for what idk. To me it doesn't matter if Irvine "looks" more urban than say a Reston or Tysons, not if more people use transit in Reston or Tysons.

Secondly, Old Town is very urban, the Arlington nodes of Rosslyn, Clarendon, and Ballston are each very urban, Crystal City is still urban, and Potomac Yard once redeveloped with its infill Metro station will extend its urbanity to connect Crystal City to Old Town Alexandria. Again though I want to stay on focus because it's not just building urbanity that is being discussed here. Places like Arlington, Alexandria etc are very transit oriented communities even in neighborhoods where there are SFH or Townhomes not just within the Rosslyn-Clarendon-Ballston corridor. Hence why it has some of the highest transit ridership by percentage in the country.

Highest tranist ridership percentage:

1. New York City, New York - 55.66%
2. Jersey City, New Jersey - 45.82%
3. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - 39.19%
4. San Francisco, California - 34.05%
5. Boston, Massachusetts - 32.82%
6. Arlington, Virginia - 28.54%
7. Washington, D.C. - 26.61%
8. Cambridge, Massachusetts - 26.60%
9. Newark, New Jersey - 26.50%
10. Chicago, Illinois - 26.50%
11. Yonkers, New York - 24.95%
12. Daly City, California - 21.45%
13. Hartford, Connecticut - 21.19%
14. Alexandria, Virginia - 21.12%
15. Seattle, Washington - 18.19%

I don't see any LA suburbs or the city proper for that matter.

LA has a car culture. They wouldn't be on there. It doesn't mean Santa Monica is less urban than alexandria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City