Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most "troubled" major US city
Detroit 127 57.47%
Baltimore 50 22.62%
Chicago 44 19.91%
St. Louis 34 15.38%
New Orleans 32 14.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 09:55 PM

899 posts, read 1,066,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
to the highest flat number of murders and shootings of any city in the world, "Chiraq" has to be the most troubled.
There's dozens of cities in Latin America alone with more murders/shootings than Chicago. Chicago is definitely having a rough year, but it isn't that bad to say it's the most violent in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 10:48 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,653,330 times
Detroit Easy !

Old 04-21-2016, 11:50 PM

6,441 posts, read 4,000,998 times
I say New Orleans because although the city has Tourists metro wise their is very little redeeming unless you consider Slldiell and Covington as the upper crust of suburban living. NOLA is great but unlike theses cities suffers from a disappointing metro suburb wise. Detroit and Baltimore have many famous and cool suburbs or urban areas in close proximity (Annapolis, Dover,DE, Columbia etc.), Saint Louis is decent and Chicago shouldn't be on this list just because of the Northern part of the city, even then 7 million in relatively impressive suburbs.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:10 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,753,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
This CANNOT be overstated. You all should see the he says on the Chicago forums...Ain't no secret Chicago has problems, but we're chugging along, folks.
and that very chugging is the very chugging we have done in Chicago for an eternity. Declining means trending and, IMHO, I don't see much trending going on on the South and West sides of Chicago in the sense that the conditions described are nothing new. The south and west sides have been dead zones from well before the majority of posters here have even been alive.

Interestingly we look at the murder rate in Chicago and find it so shocking...yet who mentions the murder rate is lower than it was in the 1990s. And the very west and south sides that are written off as those dying dead zones include large tracks of land that have seen a reversal. The areas of which I speak are those emanating outward from the city's expanding and dynamic core, areas of the near west and near south sides that have been gentrified and revived. Westward from the Loop we're talking about at least to the United Center and the Med Center, 1600 W from the baseline State Street. Southward from downtown we're talking at least to McCormick Place and arguably much further to include Chinatown and Bridgeport...a community where the Sox park is as far south as the Cubs is north.

Chicago, like every city, dies and gets reborn concurrently. the Chicago that works...the downtown core, its peripheries north, south, and west, the vast stretches of the north and northwest sides is the very world class and global alpha cities that make this very notion of "Chicago in decline" so utter ludicrous is every bit as big (and arguably bigger) in size and population than San Francisco or Boston. The old saw about Chicago being "1/3 San Francisco and 2/3 Detroit" may have some merit, but those fractions are way skewed....the SF part is much larger, the Detroit smaller than those thirds reflect.

Old, industrial Chicago, the mightiest of all industrial cities, is dying out. And its reason for being goes with it. The inner city bleeds population as the new economy has passed it by. But the future looms over it in the Loop and environs and areas to the north which are heading in the right direction.

IrishIllini has it right.....for whatever problems it has (and it does have them and they are serious), Chicago is still very much a thriving, enthralling metropolis, world class by any measure.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:31 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,135,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I say New Orleans because although the city has Tourists metro wise their is very little redeeming unless you consider Slldiell and Covington as the upper crust of suburban living. NOLA is great but unlike theses cities suffers from a disappointing metro suburb wise. Detroit and Baltimore have many famous and cool suburbs or urban areas in close proximity (Annapolis, Dover,DE, Columbia etc.), Saint Louis is decent and Chicago shouldn't be on this list just because of the Northern part of the city, even then 7 million in relatively impressive suburbs.
While I get your point, and am inclined to agree with you, Dover is not in close enough proximity to Baltimore to even be considered an exurb, and it sure as hell isn't famous or cool lol.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:46 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,000,998 times
Famous or cool in terms of smallish towns, Because it is a capital most geography oriented Americans will know Dover. When I say famous or cool I mean like a B-list celebrity, or an Instagram or musically famous person. They are a celeb but only to people in a niche environment.

Maybe saying famous or cool wasn't the word, more along the lines of interesting. I always thought Dover was considered in the CSA or I may be confusing it for something else.

Like I was saying besides Metaire or Kenner, I would rather live in Lafayette, Louisiana and commute the 120 miles to New Orleans than live in a new Orleans suburb. Maybe by next decade Covington and Slidell can become larger and offer more.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:18 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,801,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
and that very chugging is the very chugging we have done in Chicago for an eternity. Declining means trending and, IMHO, I don't see much trending going on on the South and West sides of Chicago in the sense that the conditions described are nothing new. The south and west sides have been dead zones from well before the majority of posters here have even been alive.

Interestingly we look at the murder rate in Chicago and find it so shocking...yet who mentions the murder rate is lower than it was in the 1990s. And the very west and south sides that are written off as those dying dead zones include large tracks of land that have seen a reversal. The areas of which I speak are those emanating outward from the city's expanding and dynamic core, areas of the near west and near south sides that have been gentrified and revived. Westward from the Loop we're talking about at least to the United Center and the Med Center, 1600 W from the baseline State Street. Southward from downtown we're talking at least to McCormick Place and arguably much further to include Chinatown and Bridgeport...a community where the Sox park is as far south as the Cubs is north.

Chicago, like every city, dies and gets reborn concurrently. the Chicago that works...the downtown core, its peripheries north, south, and west, the vast stretches of the north and northwest sides is the very world class and global alpha cities that make this very notion of "Chicago in decline" so utter ludicrous is every bit as big (and arguably bigger) in size and population than San Francisco or Boston. The old saw about Chicago being "1/3 San Francisco and 2/3 Detroit" may have some merit, but those fractions are way skewed....the SF part is much larger, the Detroit smaller than those thirds reflect.

Old, industrial Chicago, the mightiest of all industrial cities, is dying out. And its reason for being goes with it. The inner city bleeds population as the new economy has passed it by. But the future looms over it in the Loop and environs and areas to the north which are heading in the right direction.

IrishIllini has it right.....for whatever problems it has (and it does have them and they are serious), Chicago is still very much a thriving, enthralling metropolis, world class by any measure.
Chicago is definitely still thriving. Anyone who goes to places like Wicker Park, Logan Square, Lakeview, etc, basically the vast majority of the northside, which is larger in population size than San Francisco as a whole will clearly see that.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:51 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,135,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Famous or cool in terms of smallish towns, Because it is a capital most geography oriented Americans will know Dover. When I say famous or cool I mean like a B-list celebrity, or an Instagram or musically famous person. They are a celeb but only to people in a niche environment.

Maybe saying famous or cool wasn't the word, more along the lines of interesting. I always thought Dover was considered in the CSA or I may be confusing it for something else.

Like I was saying besides Metaire or Kenner, I would rather live in Lafayette, Louisiana and commute the 120 miles to New Orleans than live in a new Orleans suburb. Maybe by next decade Covington and Slidell can become larger and offer more.
Okay. I'll give you interesting in that sense, and it is known to geography savvy Americans (also one of only 4 state capitals to begin with the same letter as its state). There's Dover Downs, there's NASCAR and there's Firefly--and that's really it, besides being the capital. So I guess your B-list/Instagram celebrity analogy makes some sense, though that wasn't initially clear. And as far as being in a CSA, Dover is in one, but it is part of Philadelphia's--Baltimore is too far away and across the bay.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:21 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,043,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
it seems Baltimore is having a rough patch.
Could you explain why?

Old 04-22-2016, 03:25 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,043,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post
Baltimore has yet to hit rock bottom.
Right, all the people leaving the metro, the constant warfare, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City