Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities
Minneapolis 10 13.51%
Denver 17 22.97%
Seattle 21 28.38%
San Diego 7 9.46%
San Francisco 19 25.68%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 10:59 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I'm 22 and most of my friends are 22/23 and they are all flocking to the bay area like it is the new rome.
Your friends must have wealthy parents who are willing to sponsor them, if they are only 22 to 23 years old and can afford to just pick up and move to SF/the Bay Area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 12:19 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Your friends must have wealthy parents who are willing to sponsor them, if they are only 22 to 23 years old and can afford to just pick up and move to SF/the Bay Area...
Luckily for them a lot have moved for high paying jobs with big name companies, which has made it possible for them to live in the city. It would be insane if they just moved out of the blue.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:30 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Seattle and San Francisco

Old 04-24-2016, 12:55 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Luckily for them a lot have moved for high paying jobs with big name companies, which has made it possible for them to live in the city. It would be insane if they just moved out of the blue.
A lot of people move to Portland or Austin out of the blue, but San Francisco really demands a person have a job before they move, unless they have a large trust fund.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:02 PM

14 posts, read 13,313 times
I'd say Austin is still an affordable city in the US for most young people today, and it also has a large tech industry like the Bay area. But I doubt it will hold on to its affordability in the near future. I wouldn't exactly call it mini-San Francisco anyways. However, there are quite a number of cons about this city that I horribly hate: Horrendous traffic(for a city of its size), overcrowding issues (every place is full of people & gridlocked roads..etc), poor, weird Hwy/road signage & design (which drives people nuts here), high property taxes, reckless drivers everywhere, location can be a problem since it's Texas where you need to drive at least 3 or 4 hours to get major cities like Houston or Dallas, the airport here doesn't offer many direct flights.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:13 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Just judging from my friends/people I know, but it seems Oakland is the city for the young today in the Bay Area-not so much San Francisco anymore. And yes, still lots of young people moving to Austin.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:29 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
If we're being real, any city over like 1 million in the metro is good for pretty much anyone, despite their age or interests.

I don't know why looking for a city good for "young people" is a thing. What does that mean? Hipster stuff? All cities have bars and clubs and sports etc to a greater or lesser degree. Cities for young people are overrated too. Tend to be very transient without much of a community feel. I don't know, maybe that sounds cool to 20 year olds, but I'm only 26 and I would much rather live in a city "for everyone" not just some narrow group of young people who I probably don't have much in common with other than the mistake that is our year of birth.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:42 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Actually for amount of Computer Science Jobs I would put Seattle. Most of the large tech companies in the bay area are outside of San Francisco itself and commuting out of the city would be a pain. Though alot of Tech jobs like Microsoft are outside of Seattle in Bellevue and Redmond, Amazon is building a huge headquarters right downtown, Expedia is moving downtown, google is opening up a new office in downtown that is suppose to employ a few thousand people. Alot of small tech companies and downtown and a fair amount and gaming companies in the city limits. I would say Seattle wins in terms of tech companies in the city. San Francisco does if you lump in Silicon Valley.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:57 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
10,000ft — SaaS project planning and management
Allrecipes.com — online recipe service and forum
Amazon.com — retail
Avvo — legal services search
BuddyTV — TV news, second screen technology
Cheezburger — operates many humor web blogs such as I Can Has Cheezburger? and FAIL Blog
Classmates.com — social networking service
DomainTools.com — DNS research and monitoring tools
eNotes.com — educational resource service
ExtraHop Networks — network analysis appliance maker
F5 Networks — application delivery controllers
findwell — online real estate brokerage
Groundspeak — operators of Geocaching.com
Leafly — cannabis information
Moz — search engine optimization
Onvia — government business intelligence portal
PayScale — global employee compensation database
Penny Arcade — webcomic
RealNetworks — software
Redfin — online real estate brokerage
Social Strata — software
Soundrangers — online sound effects and music
Spoon — application virtualization
Sporcle — online trivia
Tableau Software — data visualization
thePlatform — online video publishing
Thrift Books — retail
WhitePages.com — online people search, reverse phone & address lookup, and business search
Zillow.com — real estate information service

These are all Tech companies based in Seattle on top of all the regional offices and tech positions at finance and other large corporations.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:13 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
10,000ft — SaaS project planning and management
Allrecipes.com — online recipe service and forum
Amazon.com — retail
Avvo — legal services search
BuddyTV — TV news, second screen technology
Cheezburger — operates many humor web blogs such as I Can Has Cheezburger? and FAIL Blog
Classmates.com — social networking service
DomainTools.com — DNS research and monitoring tools
eNotes.com — educational resource service
ExtraHop Networks — network analysis appliance maker
F5 Networks — application delivery controllers
findwell — online real estate brokerage
Groundspeak — operators of Geocaching.com
Leafly — cannabis information
Moz — search engine optimization
Onvia — government business intelligence portal
PayScale — global employee compensation database
Penny Arcade — webcomic
RealNetworks — software
Redfin — online real estate brokerage
Social Strata — software
Soundrangers — online sound effects and music
Spoon — application virtualization
Sporcle — online trivia
Tableau Software — data visualization
thePlatform — online video publishing
Thrift Books — retail
WhitePages.com — online people search, reverse phone & address lookup, and business search
Zillow.com — real estate information service

These are all Tech companies based in Seattle on top of all the regional offices and tech positions at finance and other large corporations.
Wow!

While all the trendy yuppies that these threads tend to talk about go for tech industries, there are many others as well. I would say media is another big one, for an example in the Bay Area there is Buzzfeed. Couple other media sites big with Millennials is a cooking-based one called "Tasty" they post a lot of recipe videos on Facebook. I'm sure there's more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City