Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your choice as a place to live?
Seattle 61 43.26%
Montreal 38 26.95%
Boston 42 29.79%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 01:30 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times

Advertisements

Lets say all things were equal and you you were offered a job in all three and the disposable income amounted to having the same amount in all 3 places, regardless of which one you picked and everything else also being equal.

So under those basis, which of the three would you pick to live in? I personally think all three are great places to live, I respect what all three have to offer, but I understand that other people may be different entirely and can have a like for one and a dislike for the others. That's entirely possible.

So with things like culture, climate, location, standard of living, residential options, infrastructure, and interest in the actual city among other qualities in a city, which of the three would you choose to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 01:34 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Seattle > Boston > Montreal.

Even though I dislike the cloudiness and rain, Seattle has pretty great summers. Boston is just not the city for me in all honest, but it's still a nice city. Montreal gets too cold though the city looks very interesting. I also don't speak French so yeah.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:35 PM

591 posts, read 819,869 times
A poll would be fun...

My vote would go to Seattle, followed by Boston, then Montreal.

Visiting for a short time may require a different answer.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:51 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
1. Boston; 2. Montreal; 3. Seattle

My in-laws live in the Boston area. We will be going up in 3 weeks. Good history. Great neighborhoods. Great sports town. Though my wife's family who lives there, my wife, and I are Conservative, we've never felt hostility or anything negative towards us or our views. Good people.

Montreal has always intrigued me. Beautiful, historic city.

Seattle is a really nice city. I would personally be able to deal with the winter snows of Boston and Montreal better than I could the rain/drizzle/cloudiness of Seattle.

3 great areas!

Old 04-29-2016, 01:57 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Montreal, Seattle and then Boston, I think, and Seattle above Boston mostly because of having friends there rather than any particular preference for either.

Montreal's winters are pretty brutal, though I'm guessing the level of disposable income includes enough for extended holiday vacations. Oh, and maybe one of the rare residential buildings that tap into RESO directly. It could be fun to never set foot "outside" for an entire season as if living in some kind of Quebecois urban biosphere.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:57 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Poll added.

To answer for myself;

Boston - The city of my dreams when I was a little kid (in America at least). I must have been no older than 12 years old back when I used to spend hours a day on condo.com and other sites looking at real estate along the Boston coast. The career and profession I was interested in when I was 12 years old was law, primarily because all I ever wanted was a way to live a lucrative and prosperous life in Boston in a field that I understood from an early age would be hot there. As I grew older and started seeing more cities in both the United States and world, Boston began fading away from my inner thoughts. What appealed to me about Boston was its gorgeous residential architecture near a beautiful coastal setting. The city always screamed "typical RJ" because it was polished and clean, the way I like place's to be, while also very prosperous and bustling at the same time. The more I began seeing the world on over, the more I began realizing that there's lots of places that met the "typical RJ" standards and thus Boston started moving down the list. As I grew older, my preferences in things also started to change. Climate, culinary offerings, location, and airport service destinations started to grow in importance and while Boston does admirably in all of these things, it started to move down my list.

Montreal - I never liked Montreal when I saw it. To be rather honest I disliked the place. I didn't like what I saw, didn't like what I heard, didn't like what I ate there. Not trying to be hurtful to anyone in Montreal but that's the truth, that's how I felt. It's okay, it's fine. Sometimes we go to places and can either straight up love them or straight up hate them. I never hated Montreal but never cared much for it either. Then I saw Montreal again 14 years later and coupled with how much I changed as a person, my take on the city changed as well. I found the second most bustling and vibrant city in the United States-Canada outside of New York. I was able to appreciate the culture of the city for what it was, appreciate the look and feel of the city, and appreciate what the city had to offer thoroughly. I easily fell in love with the city's architecture and found it to have user friendly infrastructure too. Today we live in the smartphone era, when I travel to foreign countries now, I just use my smartphone for everything (I pay the extra charges for International service) and it helps with the language barrier. When I was in Paris a few months back, everything I needed to find, I simply asked Siri on my iPhone and then it mapped out. I was able to find everything in such an easy manner. Everything was made to be more convenient, traveling today in 2016 negates so much of the hassles you would have to deal with back in 1996. Just a different time and era we live in and our technologies and culture today bridges the culture and language barrier gap rather well now. Today I view Montreal as one of the most culturally significant cities in all of North America. A heavily warranted experience for all that desire an urban, cultured, and sophisticated experience somewhere on the North American continent. Now Montreal is one of my favorite cities, all around, in North America and possibly the world on over.

Seattle - I must have been only 7 years old back when my dad told me that Vancouver and Seattle are the prettiest places on Earth. Those words have been stuck in my head since I was a kid. At this point I've visited 17 countries on 5 different continents, have lived in 4 different countries on 3 different continents, and have lived through and seen a lot. I definitely don't agree with my dad on his assessment any longer and seeing Hong Kong and Barcelona means that I cant ever agree with what he said, but that being said, his assertion wasn't far off the mark. In North America at least, there aren't any prettier cities than those two (maybe just Honolulu can compete). As for the actual city itself, I remember in the 1990s when Seattle seemed to be an afterthought nationally speaking. I rarely ever heard anything about it and we were a family that moved around often and a lot throughout the United States. As I got older, I began seeing more people my age, my peers, express more and more interest in this city. Then I actually got around to seeing the city. The first time was for the International Film Festival and it was on a very damp, misty, and rainy weekend. We didn't get around to doing much in the city and I never saw much of the spectacular scenery primarily because it was too dark to see it. I went back home under the assumption that the city was overrated and that people randomly have a high opinion of it. Since then I've been back to Seattle twice. Both times with the intention of seeing more of the city and its surroundings. I found a bustling city with exceptional food, friendly and helpful people, and a culture that I could relate too. It resonated immediately and changed my opinion of the place. I think pretty highly of Seattle now and finally got around to seeing the scenery surrounding the city. It was spectacular. Friends and I have taken a plane tour of the Seattle and Vancouver areas. I recommend that to everyone that visits these cities, please do it, its an experience for a lifetime. I could live in Seattle, one of the few places in America I could look forward to living in.

Today? Seattle, then closely followed by Montreal, then Boston after that.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-29-2016 at 02:32 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 02:26 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,377 times
1. Boston- I loved Boston when I got to visit even though they were having a massive heat wave. It is located close to other major cities and new england is just straight up beautiful. I'm not sure if I could handle the winters, but I think I would put up with them in order to live in Boston.
2. Seattle- I enjoyed my time there when I was visiting but I'm not sure if I could take the constant clouds and rain. It has some beautiful nature on all sides of the city, it is progressive, and it is clean (great food also).
3. Montreal- . I know that people rave about it but I really wasn't all that fond of the city when I visited. I don't think I could live there full time due to the language issue.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:32 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,089,959 times
Seattle...the cloudy damp winters would suck, but it has the best outdoor recreation options.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:00 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Seattle. It has great weather and the Asian American population is larger (well, it is the closest to Asia, but that is another major plus for me). Whenever I visit Seattle, I get a very Texas with better weather vibe, even more so when comparing to Boston. People are friendly, understanding, and polite, although they talk less to strangers (not necessarily a bad thing, depends on the person). Never been to Montreal, so anything I could say would be based on generalizations and reputation, which I always try to ignore when judging cities (if I did and was not raised partially in Dallas, I would never have given it a chance).

Old 04-29-2016, 05:49 PM

74 posts, read 93,875 times
I have to be honest, never been to Montreal but I have spent some significant time in Boston and Seattle. Boston is very nice but I believe Seattle is the most beautiful city I have every seen. Big hills, trees, valleys, islands, water seems to be everywhere with all the beautiful boats and then snow capped Mt Rainer looming far off in the mist Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City