Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful nature around it?
Washington 9 8.74%
New York City 18 17.48%
Buffalo 2 1.94%
Pittsburgh 24 23.30%
Miami 17 16.50%
Jacksonville 2 1.94%
Raleigh 2 1.94%
Charlotte 2 1.94%
Boston 14 13.59%
Philadelphia 13 12.62%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 06:41 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Given the distances involved, as well as the usual traffic, that's a bit of a stretch. It's theoretically possible to make it from the Poconos to Long Island (3-5 hrs, depending on how far out you want to go) to do so, but that would feel rushed on time for either activity. From NYC proper, you'd have to leave the city quite early for the Poconos, and leave by noon in order to have a shot. And given the fact you won't be skiing during the summer, that leaves less daylight/animal activity in winter to actually look at marine life when you make it back--and you probably wouldn't be snorkeling, either.
This one is 50 miles from Manhattan.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 06:42 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
What I know is that Bear Mountain is an hr. from NYC (without traffic), and Long Beach is as well. So it is feasibly possible, if of course you are not driving at peak times. Obviously the Poconos are further away and would be more of a challenge.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
And still almost a 2 hour drive.
Yeah, but that's with traffic. Without traffic it's barely over an 1 hour from Midtown Manhattan. Once you get out of the tunnel, the driving time drops significantly.

With traffic it says it's 1 hr 45 minutes from Midtown Manhattan. On the other hand, with traffic, it's 54 minutes from East Rutherford which is a stone's throw from Manhattan.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 05-05-2016 at 06:53 AM..

Old 05-05-2016, 06:53 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
What I know is that Bear Mountain is an hr. from NYC (without traffic), and Long Beach is as well. So it is feasibly possible, if of course you are not driving at peak times. Obviously the Poconos are further away and would be more of a challenge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Yeah, but that's with traffic. Without traffic it's barely over an 1 hour from Midtown Manhattan. Once you get out of the tunnel, the driving time drops significantly.

With traffic it says it's 1 hr 45 minutes from Midtown Manhattan. On the other hand, with traffic, it's only 54 minutes from East Rutherford which is a stone's throw from Manhattan.
Again, when will you not encounter at least some moderate traffic in the NYC metro? Even if let's say there is no traffic leaving very early, you still have to make a return trip during peak hours for this hypothetical scenario to work. And then you're forced to cross several major bridge and/or tunnel crossings, and then drive further out some more to get to the areas of Long Island to actually see marine life (unless Red John is content with the Staten Island Ferry and hoping to see a whale). All under the specter of winter, with colder weather, less daylight hours and possibly poor road conditions. Simply put, it's feasible, but not very practical--and I'd say the same thing of the Delaware Valley as well, so there's no bias here.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Again, when will you not encounter at least some moderate traffic in the NYC metro? Even if let's say there is no traffic leaving very early, you still have to make a return trip during peak hours for this hypothetical scenario to work. And then you're forced to cross several major bridge and/or tunnel crossings, and then drive further out some more to get to the areas of Long Island to actually see marine life (unless Red John is content with the Staten Island Ferry and hoping to see a whale). All under the specter of winter, with colder weather, less daylight hours and possibly poor road conditions. Simply put, it's feasible, but not very practical--and I'd say the same thing of the Delaware Valley as well, so there's no bias here.
Just wanted to point out that you can ski closer than the Poconos.

To Mt Creek, it's actually 1 hr 30 minutes with traffic from the Financial District right now.

Traffic shouldn't be unbearable. Most people leave for skiing in the morning. It would be a reverse commute both ways. Unless you're coming from Long Island, in which case, you might want to pack a suitcase.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 05-05-2016 at 07:55 AM..

Old 05-05-2016, 08:18 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Does "none of the above" count? Kind of by definition, a metro area with the population density to support an NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL team isn't going to have "beautiful nature". I can drive an hour or two and find some pretty nice spots with any cities on the list.

I'd have to go with Miami. 15 miles west and you're in the Everglades with no people. If you're into swamps, it's certainly the closest unpopulated green space to the football stadium, ballpark, and indoor arena.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:30 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
People in this thread need to stop trying to make NYC happen. It's common sense - "SURROUNDING" nature. I picked Miami, but even one look at the pics of Pittsburgh should be all you need to know that NYC should lose, rather than trying to stretch the definition of "surrounding" so that you can claim more places for NYC.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
People in this thread need to stop trying to make NYC happen. It's common sense - "SURROUNDING" nature. I picked Miami, but even one look at the pics of Pittsburgh should be all you need to know that NYC should lose, rather than trying to stretch the definition of "surrounding" so that you can claim more places for NYC.
The OP said "the range on which cities are being judged is within 60 miles of the CBD."

Pittsburgh is very hilly overall. But within a 60 mile radius it doesn't have hills as big or a landscape as diverse as the NY area.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:53 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
The OP said "the range on which cities are being judged is within 60 miles of the CBD."

Pittsburgh is very hilly overall. But within a 60 mile radius it doesn't have hills as big or a landscape as diverse as the NYC area.
People are talking about places beyond 60 miles though. I think Pitt should get extra points for all that lush greenery within the city. NYC to me just isn't a city that you picture in your head and see it surrounded by beautiful nature.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
People are talking about places beyond 60 miles though. I think Pitt should get extra points for all that lush greenery within the city. NYC to me just isn't a city that you picture in your head and see it surrounded by beautiful nature.
I didn't suggest anything beyond 60 miles. Montauk was the only mention of something beyond 60 miles and I responded with like scenes within 60 miles of Manhattan.

I like how hilly Pittsburgh is but it's landlocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City