Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better downtown
Chicago 83 89.25%
San Jose, CA 10 10.75%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 11:03 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times

Advertisements

Best destination and best city are not the same thing. I mean, would you call Key West a top city in the world? Hell no, but definitely a top destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 12:22 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Would never want to live in San Jose. WAY too expensive. Buying power in awful. Earthquakes too.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:17 PM

Well, here is a list that isn't about tourism.

Chicago #9 ranked city in the world for global finance. San Francisco is #8. San Jose notably absent.

The 20 best cities for global finance GFCI index - Business Insider

Old 05-13-2016, 02:23 PM

Here is one that's even more comprehensive that has Chicago as the #7 ranked Global city. SF is #22

Factors include business activity, human capital, information exchange, cultural experiences, and political engagement.

The World

The second poll with different factors and source moves Chicago down to #17 in the "future look" with SF #1 in the world in that category. Factors include personal well being, economics, innovation and governance.

So while Chicago is trending lower, even a pessimistic view has it a Top 20 Global City, with San Jose nowhere to be found. It is dwarfed by a far superior San Francisco. Even sensible locals understand this.

I'm dropping my mic now.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 8,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Those are the reflections of the past: Bart is coming to San Jose next year. Downtown San Jose is booming like crazy and is very dynamic. A lot have changed since you were last here. It's so 1989 comment!
It appears you mis-read my post, where I stated that I am indeed back in San Jose and have been so for over a year. In fact, two days ago I was downtown for a meeting and then a beer in the San Pedro Square Market. I spent a good deal of the spring downtown working on a project at the Montgomery Theatre. I've been to Sharks games, had numerous trips to government offices and the King library, and attended festivals at Plaza de Cesar Chavez. I've spoken onstage at the CPA and listened to jazz at Cafe Stritch. I am in Willow Glen two to three times a week for work. I took my son to Happy Hollow last month, and regularly take him for walks down Lincoln Avenue and in Cottle Park. This is to say nothing of the time I spend in the downtowns of Los Gatos, Los Altos, and Mountain View, both for business and pleasure.

And for further clarity, my family has lived here the entire time I was away, and I was here three to four times a year, every year, during that time. My stepfather is a fourth-generation resident of Santa Clara County, and my bloodline goes back in the Bay Area to the 19th Century. I know this town pretty damn well, and have known it my entire life.

I've seen the changes, and I stand by my earlier post. There is a tremendous amount of good here, and a tremendous amount of potential.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion (as I mentioned, I find the constant city and state bashing that goes on in this forum needless and immature), and I appreciate your enthusiasm and boosterism for San Jose, but I think by now you've seen that your opinion is very much in the minority.

Finally, yes, BART is coming to San Jose next year - the Berryessa District. It will likely be 2025 before it reaches downtown. So you are technically correct, but it's the equivalent of getting to Hunter's Point and saying you've reached San Francisco.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:23 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTComposer View Post
It appears you mis-read my post, where I stated that I am indeed back in San Jose and have been so for over a year. In fact, two days ago I was downtown for a meeting and then a beer in the San Pedro Square Market. I spent a good deal of the spring downtown working on a project at the Montgomery Theatre. I've been to Sharks games, had numerous trips to government offices and the King library, and attended festivals at Plaza de Cesar Chavez. I've spoken onstage at the CPA and listened to jazz at Cafe Stritch. I am in Willow Glen two to three times a week for work. I took my son to Happy Hollow last month, and regularly take him for walks down Lincoln Avenue and in Cottle Park. This is to say nothing of the time I spend in the downtowns of Los Gatos, Los Altos, and Mountain View, both for business and pleasure.

And for further clarity, my family has lived here the entire time I was away, and I was here three to four times a year, every year, during that time. My stepfather is a fourth-generation resident of Santa Clara County, and my bloodline goes back in the Bay Area to the 19th Century. I know this town pretty damn well, and have known it my entire life.

I've seen the changes, and I stand by my earlier post. There is a tremendous amount of good here, and a tremendous amount of potential.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion (as I mentioned, I find the constant city and state bashing that goes on in this forum needless and immature), and I appreciate your enthusiasm and boosterism for San Jose, but I think by now you've seen that your opinion is very much in the minority.

Finally, yes, BART is coming to San Jose next year - the Berryessa District. It will likely be 2025 before it reaches downtown. So you are technically correct, but it's the equivalent of getting to Hunter's Point and saying you've reached San Francisco.
What about Paseo De San Antonio walk? How about First Friday by SoFA? There's now a nice small public market in SoFA called the SoFA Market. This year, they got food trucks with colorful seatings and ping pong table daily at Cesar Chavez Plaza from 11 AM to 10PM. A really cool brewery opening up next month in SoFA. Didn't you check out Whole Foods with a beer craft place on second floor next to SAP arena? What about Little Italy? Japan Town is the new hip spot! And you're still not impressed?!!!

Old 05-13-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTComposer View Post

So You rather hang out in the Loop?

Old 05-13-2016, 07:29 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Kmanshouse, I imagine that San Jose isn't included on those lists because it's part of the San Francisco area.

As for the last two "the Topper" posts....wow, just wow, on so many levels.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:58 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,896 times
ROFL at this thread. I can't believe the OP actually is serious.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:49 PM

Chicago is a disaster! Crime is out of control and the economy is deteriorating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City