Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city's 4 season climate do you like better?
Boston 37 50.00%
Denver 37 50.00%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 09:09 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,208,816 times

Advertisements

Boston weather, It sucks 98% of the time but when you get those 2 weeks in the fall when the weather doesn't suck it feels awesome. The summers are too hot the winters are too cold and the spring its raining all of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 09:25 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,717,582 times
Denver. While I'm not necessarily a fan of blaring sunlight while it's freezing out, and while I think fall is probably more enjoyable in the Northeast due to fall foliage, the rainfall in Boston sealed the deal for me. Boston gets 40+ inches of rain AND 40+ inches of snow. I just don't think I could handle that - cold combined with rain is the worst for me. While I enjoy those days inside being cozy and hearing the rain outside, it's when you have to go out in it that's rough.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:26 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
Tricky question, Denver probably gets colder than Boston and has a shorter growing season but its winter tends to be sunnier and the Chinook winds are welcome. Summer in Denver is hotter but less humid and there is not really any beach or lake culture to beat the heat. Denver is more of a mountain oriented city and Boston more of a water oriented city for recreation.
It probably gets a little colder, but it doesn't feel colder, if that makes sense. The lack of humidity in Denver makes the cold weather much more tolerable. When it's really cold in Boston, it seems to sink into your soul...Denver doesn't get that from my experience.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:27 AM

12,563 posts, read 21,718,207 times
I'm surprised it's this close. I actually love the weather in New England, but I would wager that most people would find Denver to be a bit more pleasant year-round. Fall in New England is perfect, but it's short. Summer is nice but the humidity can be tough. Winter is rough temperature wise, and it is windy and rainy a large chunk of the time. The worst weather, in my opinion, is what we're experiencing right now. 40s and rainy. Nothing is more miserable, not even a Nor'Easter in February.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:51 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,902,945 times
I prefer Denver's drier air, but overall I would choose Boston. I think Denver's weather is about as psycho as they come. Sunny and 70 one day, 20 and a blizzard the next. That kind of weather sucks.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:01 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I prefer Denver's drier air, but overall I would choose Boston. I think Denver's weather is about as psycho as they come. Sunny and 70 one day, 20 and a blizzard the next. That kind of weather sucks.
Yea, Denver's weather is nuts. I'm originally from the Boston area, went to college in South Carolina, now living in Denver. People from Mass & South Carolina would always talk about their "crazy weather", and how unpredictable it is. It's nothing compared to Denver. For several weeks now, I've had to switch between shorts & t-shirt, and boots & down jacket due to the fluctuations.

For those unfamiliar with Denver's weather, "70 one day, 20 and a blizzard the next" is not an exaggeration. That actually happened to me about a month ago.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:02 PM

12,563 posts, read 21,718,207 times
Quote:
We get the same here. We had a stretch a few weeks ago where it was 70 for two straight days followed by 3-4 inches of snow. April is like that in Boston. November (and late October) can be too.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:54 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,904,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
For several weeks now, I've had to switch between shorts & t-shirt, and boots & down jacket due to the fluctuations.
I've been doing the same in Boston, haha.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:39 PM

63 posts, read 62,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
It probably gets a little colder, but it doesn't feel colder, if that makes sense. The lack of humidity in Denver makes the cold weather much more tolerable. When it's really cold in Boston, it seems to sink into your soul...Denver doesn't get that from my experience.
Plenty in the scientific community consider this a myth btw:

Wet cold? Dry cold? Expert says there's no such thing - Windsor - CBC News

Another good post I read about it in the weather forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
A good part of my working life has involved frost protection and snowmaking. Both involve a good understanding of how humidity affects the rate of heat loss. When air contains moisture it has a higher potential than air (at the same temp)with lower humidity. Heat will move from warm to cold rather than cold to warm. Dry air always represents the greatest heat difference. The same principle applies to when it's hot and your sweating, as too when it's cold, there is no magic temp at which this process reverses.

Having visibly wet skin is different to high humidity with low temps, but even with wet skin, dry air will cool you faster. Think about dry skin and chapped lips in cold weather, both due to moisture loss, both more noticeable in dry climates.

Most people I know assume higher humidity equals cold, and I don't bother telling someone who is cold, that they aren't, but we live in such a way that it really doesn't matter that much.
Now what would actually make sense is if it feels warmer in Denver because of the sun and it's radiation. But even for that to make a significant difference, the sun would have to be strong. It won't be doing much if it's just a weak annoying beam of yellow light all the time like in coastal California.

What also makes sense is if by "wet" you mean damp like rain, fog etc. That certainly will make it feel colder. But the Northeast isn't San Francisco. The rainfall is mostly evenly spread throughout the year over there and doesn't all accumulate around the winter or anything like the latter.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:43 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Quote:
Well yeah, but when you get that 70 degree day right after that blizzard, it's kinda worth it. Where else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City