Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you choose?
Phoenix 43 43.43%
Sacramento 46 46.46%
Reno 10 10.10%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 03:48 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its only super hot for 3.5-4 months. The rest of the year is much nicer than SAC's weather. Sacramento is much rainier in winter, colder, cloudier, and prone to nasty spells of fog. PHX isnt as prone to wildfires or quakes like SAC is.
That's not really saying much though, it's still very mild in winter overall compared to most of the nation. Sunshine, ehhh 78% of possible sunshine versus 85% for Phx, it's not like we're talking about Seattle. The summer heat is pretty extreme in Phx, more extreme than any winter weather in Sacramento.

Sacramento isn't really that prone to earthquakes. Even wildfires as most of the metro is on the valley floor and not Sierra foothills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 03:50 PM

239 posts, read 305,152 times
Quote:
Its only super hot for 3.5-4 months. The rest of the year is much nicer than SAC's weather. Sacramento is much rainier in winter, colder, cloudier, and prone to nasty spells of fog. PHX isnt as prone to wildfires or quakes like SAC is.
I'm going to Phoenix for a visit early next month. Will it be really hot when I'm there? I want to see how the heat feels and if the "dry heat" is really not as bad as people say it is.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:51 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
wow, your assessment of the two cities is almost laughable.
It is laughable that you are unaware of Sacramento's attributes which beat Phoenix in every category except for the economy/cost of living.

If Sacramento had a super-pro-business friendly, tax free state government like AZ it would blow Phoenix out of the water.

Last edited by Chimérique; 05-09-2016 at 04:27 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 04:07 PM

661 posts, read 691,293 times
I don't know how people are giving weather, food, location, and downtown to PHX. History too, Sac's non-indigenous history is older than Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohnson99 View Post
Thank you all for responding so quickly! I think Reno is out of the question, which I'm actually really okay with. Now, between Phoenix and Sacramento, I'm leaning more towards Sacramento. If I were to move to Sac I would definitely want to live in Midtown, Tahoe Park, Land Park, etc...basically the area within a 5-mile radius of downtown south of the river. What would a studio apartment on a nice street within walking distance to amenities such as grocery stores, restaurants, parks, light rail stations, etc. cost?
My friend just grabbed a 2 bed in midtown for $950 but he's a local and was able to swoop on a good deal with a landlord who didn't understand the market. You should be able to get a studio for under $900 but be prepared for competition. Check Craigslist and visit if you have the chance, just walking or biking around midtown will net you plenty of phone #s to call for rent. CADA too: http://www.cadanet.org/apartment-listings

Oh, as long as I'm mentioning biking I should say Sac wipes the floor in that category compared to Phoenix.

Last edited by TheFlats; 05-09-2016 at 04:17 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 04:17 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Thank god Sacramento has a real winter....and a very mild winter, but certainly much more of winter than Phoenix.

Sacramento's autumn is actually red and gold with tons of trees losing their leaves very beautiful. In winter it's green everywhere. And having clouds and fog is actually a welcome change to the 12 months of sun that Phoenix gets.

Both Sacramento and Phoenix get a ton of sun, really too much sun. At least in Sacramento, we can look forward to several months where the Sun doesn't completely dominate the weather.

By November i look forward to having clouds, fog and rain. You can also have a more interesting wardrobe in Sacramento because it gets just cold and wet enough where you actually need rainwear and a winter coat, a scarf and gloves. People from much colder cities barely think we need a winter wardrobe, but you can invest in a winter wardrobe in Sacramento and know you will actually use it in Sacramento not just on your trips to colder climates.

I like that on an autumn day in early Dec in Sacramento parks are full of red and gold leaves. For once, the sun is not dominating the sky, you actually really need a coat, you can see your breath when you walk. And for the next few months you can count on it raining every other day. Fog is present on your morning run, or when you kayak the American River that runs through Sacramento. There is natural green everywhere because it rains for several days on end for the next 3 months. After having 6-8 months of solid bright sun, it's really cool that its much more likely to be gray and wet and that you actually need to carry an umbrella and not wear sunglasses!

Last edited by Chimérique; 05-09-2016 at 04:46 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Oh, as long as I'm mentioning biking I should say Sac wipes the floor in that category compared to Phoenix.
How is the light rail system there? Could I easily get around the metro, even all the way to Roseville, and other suburbs without a car? I would still bring my car with me, but it's nice to have the option not to use it.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:31 PM

661 posts, read 691,293 times
Unless you live and work in the core of Sac do not plan on being able to get around car-less. It is possible but not fun. The light rail is ok, growing, and will be supplemented with a streetcar but outside of select neighborhoods is not useful enough to get around the metro. It is primarily designed to bring suburbanites into downtown to work and back. Roseville doesn't have a line to it; stops at Sac City limits. There are buses and even amtrak (and hell I do actually know someone who bikes to work in Roseville and back to East Sac) but you'll want a car.

If you live and work within the core, very easy and many people get by without a vehicle. But with the surrounding trips one is able to do from Sac it's nice to have a car for weekend excursions. Pop over to the Sac forum and I'm sure people will be able to give you a detailed rundown of things.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Thank god Sacramento has a real winter....and a very mild winter, but certainly much more of winter than Phoenix.

Sacramento's autumn is actually red and gold with tons of trees losing their leaves very beautiful. In winter it's green everywhere. And having clouds and fog is actually a welcome change to the 12 months of sun that Phoenix gets.

Both Sacramento and Phoenix get a ton of sun, really too much sun. At least in Sacramento, we can look forward to several months where the Sun doesn't completely dominate the weather.

By November i look forward to having clouds, fog and rain. You can also have a more interesting wardrobe in Sacramento because it gets just cold and wet enough where you actually need rainwear and a winter coat, a scarf and gloves.

I like that on an autumn day in early Dec in Sacramento parks are full of red and gold leaves. For once, the sun is not dominating the sky, you actually really need a coat, you can see your breath when you walk. And for the next few months you can count on it raining every other day. Fog is present on your morning run, or when you kayak the American River that runs through Sacramento. There is natural green everywhere because it rains for several days on end for the next 3 months.
I grew up in Reno so I often traveled to Sac for various things, and I always loved the "mediterranean" climate, something that Reno didn't have.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:37 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
Quote:
It is laughable that you are unaware of Sacramento's attributes which beat Phoenix in every category except for the economy/cost of living.

If Sacramento had a super-pro-business friendly, tax free state government like AZ it would blow Phoenix out of the water.
I've been to Sacramento, I have family that lives there and I've attended a family reunion there, I'm well aware of what the city has to offer..... On a side note WOW the ignorance is seeping through your posts, and you clearly have not spent any time in the Phoenix area. Sacramento beats phoenix in basically nothing aside from weather and location. You clearly love Sacramento beyond words so there is no point in arguing with you, agree to disagree.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:56 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Quote:

By November i look forward to having clouds, fog and rain. You can also have a more interesting wardrobe in Sacramento because it gets just cold and wet enough where you actually need rainwear and a winter coat, a scarf and gloves. People from much colder cities barely think we need a winter wardrobe, but you can invest in a winter wardrobe in Sacramento and know you will actually use it in Sacramento not just on your trips to colder climates.

I like that on an autumn day in early Dec in Sacramento parks are full of red and gold leaves. For once, the sun is not dominating the sky, you actually really need a coat, you can see your breath when you walk. And for the next few months you can count on it raining every other day. Fog is present on your morning run, or when you kayak the American River that runs through Sacramento. There is natural green everywhere because it rains for several days on end for the next 3 months. After having 6-8 months of solid bright sun, it's really cool that its much more likely to be gray and wet and that you actually need to carry an umbrella and not wear sunglasses!
Did you know Phoenix gets colder in the winter than most of the Sacramento area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City