Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city overall?
New Orleans 50 37.04%
Nashville 68 50.37%
Memphis 4 2.96%
Birmingham 13 9.63%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 12:18 PM

34 posts, read 73,853 times

Advertisements

These are four Deep South cities that are more or less peer cities, with comparable metro area sizes (1-2 million). Which one is the best city to live in, considering amount of things to do, job opportunities, and overall quality of life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 03:08 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,389,746 times
So Nashville's considered Deep South? Lol

Best City to Live in: Depends on the individual
Things to Do: Birmingham
Job Opportunities: Nashville?
QOL? Nashville?

Last edited by _OT; 05-08-2016 at 03:16 PM..

Old 05-08-2016, 04:07 PM

37,792 posts, read 41,472,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
So Nashville's considered Deep South? Lol

Best City to Live in: Depends on the individual
Things to Do: Birmingham
Job Opportunities: Nashville?
QOL? Nashville?

Old 05-08-2016, 04:31 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,089,407 times
Nashville/New Orleans, then Birmingham, then Memphis

Old 05-08-2016, 06:34 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,877,401 times
All of this is just my opinion:

New Orleans/Nashville: Both great cities. They both have a ton of stuff happening, but I would give the edge to NOLA on things to do. NOLA has a decent economy (much better than in years past), but I think the economy in Nashville is even better. NOLA tends to be a bit isolated which is part of its charm (makes it unique), but the lack of connection (except with Houston) also holds it back a little bit, whereas I think Nashville is on the verge of great things. Both struggle with crime and I think Nashville's violent crime rate is reported as higher, but NOLA feels more unsafe IMO, largely b/c of the very high murder rate. So which one is better depends on what you value more: a ton of unique culture and fun with a good economy, or a good bit of unique culture and fun with an even better economy.

Birmingham: A nice enough city that is struggling to turn itself around after decades. I think the city made some poor decisions in the 20th century and it has a lot of work to do, but is in better shape than some other places. It doesn't have a ton of unique feel, but it is generally pleasant and is underrated IMO.

Memphis: Cool city with a lot of soul, but it has some major problems, both economically and with crime. I would not want to live there, but I am rooting for the city to reinvent itself.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:42 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,389,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Forgot to add New Orleans; but outside of the NO, there's more things to do in Birmingham than Nashville, Memphis, personally speaking.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:55 PM

9,599 posts, read 9,197,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliashorty View Post
These are four Deep South cities that are more or less peer cities, with comparable metro area sizes (1-2 million). Which one is the best city to live in, considering amount of things to do, job opportunities, and overall quality of life?
Nashville is not a Deep South city. By default I'd choose New Orleans in every category.

Best City to Live in: New Orleans
Things to Do: New Orleans
Job Opportunities: New Orleans
QOL? New Orleans

Old 05-08-2016, 09:35 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,090,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliashorty View Post
I voted Nashville for best overall city to live in. - Best weather, seasons and most interesting (not flat) terrain of the group.

Definitely NOLA if you're a foodie and enjoy more nightlife.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:04 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,260,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Forgot to add New Orleans; but outside of the NO, there's more things to do in Birmingham than Nashville, Memphis, personally speaking.
Like....?

Old 05-08-2016, 10:29 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,801,862 times
I would say Nashville. Unique culture, plenty of things to do, growing economy and jobs, and still pretty damn affordable which provides a good QOL. And correct me if I am wrong, but Memphis and New Orleans have some of the worst crime and murder rates in the country. Also Nashville, unlike the other three cities has more balanced socioeconomic class where in the other three poverty is pretty damn prevelant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City