Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The most alluring and appealing (or your favorite(s)) of the bunch?
Denver 19 14.39%
Minneapolis/Saint Paul 16 12.12%
Phoenix 11 8.33%
Portland 6 4.55%
San Diego 33 25.00%
Seattle 47 35.61%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 09:44 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
haha spot on the love affair with Denver on this site is beyond strange, and the immense amount of hate for Phoenix on this site is even stranger. (Portland also seems to not get the full credit it deserves on this site either, which is odd). My person preference is San Diego/Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, Denver, then Minn.
I really hope you meant to say Seattle, because it's by far the most loved/praised city on this site (After NYC). Hence why Seattle is winning the poll and #1 on almost everyone's list. Denver doesn't get the same amount of love at all.

I do agree with you on Phoenix though. It's very underrated on here. There's a hate bandwagon for sure. Maybe it will fizzle out like the LA hate on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 10:07 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Seattle, San Diego, Phoenix, Denver, Portland, Minneapolis/Saint Paul

Rate the allure of these cities from the city that is most appealing and interesting (or your favorite) to the one that is the least.

Some things that you can talk about are the things that interest you about these cities; location, history, sense of place/culture, food, activities and events, night scene, scenery, weather, entertainment, wildlife and hiking, amenities, cosmopolitanism, job market, safety and general wellness, livability, and things of that nature.

I like all of the cities, by the way, for extremely various and divergent reasons for each one, and have been to all of them minus Minneapolis/Saint Paul. I could live in these places, they're pretty good but also curious to see what other people think and how they would rate each one, or at least their favorite ones.
Seattle - great city. Disadvantages is cloudy gray winters and traffic.

San Diego - Love SD. Biggest negative for me is the taxes in Cali and overall COL.

Phoenix - I love Phoenix, just freaking hot in summer.

Denver - If I were starting out after college, I would probably choose Denver....just an excellent city with good economy and I like the climate.

Portland - Lived in Portland and Seattle and prefer Seattle. Portland does have less traffic and is more manageable as it's smaller but the economy is so much better in Seattle.

MSP - worked there briefly while in college....just too cold for me.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:50 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,477 times
1. Portland
2. Minneapolis/St. Paul
3. Seattle
4. Denver
5. Phoenix
6. San Diego

Old 05-18-2016, 06:10 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
I see Phoenix took the spot that usually goes to Austin in this grouping.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:34 AM

765 posts, read 897,842 times
Hard for me to chose between Seattle and Portland for number one. I prefer Portland's values but Seattle is so exciting and home. I couldn't imagine life without salt water next to me.
Seattle is very cutting edge, completely different vibe than even 5 years ago, constantly evolving. I'm a bit nostalgic so it's hard for me to accept that sometimes. Still a creative population though I just wish that there was more affordable housing and less gentrification.
My list would go like this.
1. Seattle
2. Portland
3. San Diego
4. Denver
5. Phoenix
6. Minneapolis

Old 05-18-2016, 10:28 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
1. Twin Cities
2. Seattle
3. Portland
4. Denver
5. San Diego
6. Phoenix

I prefer well-developed cities with a good urban fabric, temperate 4-season climates, and environments with thick tree cover and lush greenery.

Last edited by jennifat; 05-18-2016 at 11:24 AM..

Old 05-18-2016, 10:59 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
1. Portland
2. Seattle
3. Denver
4. San Diego
5. Twin Cities
6. Phoenix

Old 05-18-2016, 11:19 AM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times
San Diego
Phoenix
Seattle/Denver
Portland
Minneapolis

Old 05-18-2016, 12:58 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Minneapolis
San Diego
Denver
Seattle
Portland
Phoenix

Old 05-18-2016, 01:06 PM

67 posts, read 109,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
What is strange about the love of Denver? Its got it going on! So much going on! Great scenery, educated workforce, very fit residents, great sports teams/fans, great cultural institutes, epic airport, large mass transit system growing every day, dense and active downtown! Top 10 fastest growing city for years on end for a reason!!!!!
Love Denver, also and I'm considering a move there later on this year, but some many other people want to move there is a bit disconcerting.

Are real estate prices really skyrocketing due the influx of people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City