Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,905 times

Advertisements

***CLIFF NOTES VERSION: Trying to determine if we should move to Jacksonville (St John's County), FL, Northern Atlanta, GA (East Cobb, Alpharetta, Roswell), or Southern Nashville (Williamson County - Nolansville, Brentwood, Spring Hill, etc)***

For anyone that reads this all the way through & can offer insight - thank you! For everyone else - I get it - I wrote a book. Feel free to skip over it if you'd like

Howdy all - long time viewer of posts to this site - first time I'm actually posting to it. At a dilemma...
I'm from Northeast Ohio. Born & raised. Spend time in the Navy and travelled a good amount.

I'm married - 44 years old, wife is 42 and we're fairly active (motorcycle, biking, working out, I hunt/fish, going out, etc). We have 3 school aged kids: boy 10, boy 14, girl 16. The oldest kids are big into lacrosse. Good public schools are important.

Also have 2 dogs - 1 of which is a young Doberman who needs a decent backyard with a fence.

We are sick & tired of the cold, wet and snow in Ohio and want to move south.

I'm an I.T. guy - currently a director. I'm open to being an IT director, manager, or even senior admin/engineer - if the company & price are right.

Wife is in finance (currently a credit union). She can work anywhere - and I'm the primary breadwinner.

We initially planned on going to FL. Made a trip down this summer, looked at homes, neighborhoods, etc. Loved Ponte Vedra & St. Johns among other areas. Problem is - I'm not getting a lot of bite's for work that pays the minimum I feel I'm worth and what I feel I need to make the move. Housing prices are a bit higher than I'd like (and going up) - but I feel confident we can find a house we'd love in our price range for the kids, dogs & "stuff". Just not feeling warm & fuzzy about the job market now. I also have a few friends down that way.

Benefits of that location are: no state income tax, milder weather & cost of living compared to rest of state, rest of state is a road trip away for vacations, lots of beaches & water to enjoy (we will probably get a boat eventually). Excellent weather year round - especially compared to Ohio. Get's cold occasionally in winter - but very do-able for us. Lots of sun!

Negatives are: gators, heat, bugs, chance for hurricanes (albeit slimmer than rest of state)

We also have some friends in northern Atlanta. So we're considering that location. Don't know a whole lot about it - but there's a ton of jobs there and I feel my chances are better at getting work. We find Georgia's southern charm beautiful. Weather is just fine by us year round.

Benefits: Lake Lanier could be fun (though I hear it gets crowded), weather is nice, southern charm, lots to do in Atlanta, more job prospects,

Negatives: Traffic, state income tax, cost of living highest of the 3 locations (but not by too much), just don't know enough about the area! I also think I'll feel somewhat landlocked like I do now (I'm an hour from Lake Erie when most of my life I was 1 minute away)

And recently, we started looking at Nashville. Mainly south of Nashville. Again - don't know a whole lot about it. Don't know anyone there.

Benefits: Cost of living is reasonable, Nashville is country music capital & we love country music, no state income tax, seems to be plenty of job prospects, houses reasonably priced for us the further south we go from Nashville,

Negatives: Weather is better than Ohio, but they still get 2 months of 20 degree and below in winter & average 3" of snow per year, Too many unknowns.

So - from the above, it looks like we should be patient & wait for me to land the right job in Florida, or dig a little more into Georgia. But - I know at least from a high level - all 3 locations are attractive to us.

I'd love to get more insight/input from anyone who's got some recent experience from any of these locations - or who's lived in all 3 locations and/or is in the same line of work!

I'm getting inpatient because, as they say on Game of Thrones....winter is coming! (we want to make the best decision for us, yet as soon as we can).

Thanks everybody! Feel free to ask more questions if need be too.

PS: We're planning on taking a road-trip this weekend to do some scouting. Initially we're planning on going to the part of Nashville we're considering. But - maybe we'll just scratch that & head to Georgia instead...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 07:01 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Well, I can assure you that you will land a great paying job in metro Atlanta. I work in IT as well and I have no problems finding a job. As a matter of fact my last day at my current job of 3 years is this coming Thursday because I found another higher paying job on the northern side of Atlanta. IT positions are plentiful here.

Focus your search in the following areas (Ranked in Order):
1. Alpharetta area (Technology | Alpharetta, Georgia: The Technology City of the South), (Alpharetta Technology Commission)

2. City of Atlanta - (Buckhead, Midtown and Downtown): (Top 10 High-Tech Companies to Work for in Atlanta), (Atlanta's Hottest Tech Startups | Atlanta Tech Village), (http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...s-top-100.html), (Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 Headquarters in Atlanta)

3. Perimeter Center - (Sandy Spring and Dunwoody): (http://www.sandyspringsperimetercham...ia-quick-facts)

Some companies to focus on:
1. Veristor: VeriStor | Next Generation Data Center Solutions
2. GE: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...o-atlanta.html
3. General Motors IT Innovation Center: GM to Open IT Innovation Center in Georgia
4. Cox Enterprises HQ: https://jobs.coxenterprises.com/sear...-84x37854/50/2
5. Siemens (Siemens Jobs - Jobs in Georgia)

Old 08-03-2016, 07:29 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
I think you will wait a long time to find a job of your liking in Florida!

Not only is winter coming but many (most) schools in the south, especially GA, start in August.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:11 AM

34 posts, read 22,496 times
My 2c: you are probably going to discover that the long summer's in FL get to you. The humidity keeps you inside. I'm from the same area and after 16 years here I'm focusing on Ohio. Have to get out of this state!

Second, the bugs! They're everywhere, numerous things you've never seen. Weird pink eyeless snakes, all sort of oddities. Don't buy anything but vy recent. Trust me. I just can't stand the heat and the bugs any longer.

That being said, I believe you'll find IT and the weather much more accommodating north of Atlanta. I've run into many who think their weather is ideal. I've looked into the same area as I'm in IT. Close to the "mountains", even skiing. Very outdoorsy compared to flat FL. I don't like any of the state parks here though some beach areas are beautiful. But I'm a denver kind of guy.

The lack of income taxes help but the state of FL finds other ways to stick it to you. Personally I'd never live even close to Nashville, mostly due to demographics. Knoxville I could handle but at this point only suburbs will do. The noise from sirens, helicopters, etc. drives me nuts. Now way outside Nashville might be ok but it's just not for me.

Good luck.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:16 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I think metro Atlanta is your best bet of these choices, but I'd also consider the NC Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill).

Old 08-03-2016, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,905 times
Great feedback folks. Really leaning away from FL these past 24 hours after planning on it for years. Crazy.

I think we're going to road trip to Nashville this weekend and look at the cities to the South.

I know we'd love Atlanta - and I will definitely focus on Alphapharetta if that's the decision we make. No need to road trip there. Lake Lanier is very attractive to us. And the climate. Hopefully we have a solid decision after this weekend...

Old 08-03-2016, 06:30 PM

247 posts, read 336,132 times
One thing to note about Nashville-it and Atlanta are just a few hours apart, but they are in different time zones (Nashville is central, Atlanta is eastern). So although the winters aren't as harsh as Ohio, it's pitch black in the winter by 5 to 5:30. So when you get off work, it's cold, dark, damp, and you're fighting rush hour traffic on top of everything else. There's little snow, but it's far from pleasant.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:36 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Jacksonville is definitely a good option if you can get past your stereotypical negatives (heat and bugs) which aren't anymore an issue than other places in the South, or gators and hurricanes which are rare occasions/occurrences that equate to snakes/tornadoes as "drawbacks" in other places you might be considering.

https://www.flexjobs.com/blog/post/10-cities-tech-jobs/

Old 08-04-2016, 02:39 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknyfats View Post
Great feedback folks. Really leaning away from FL these past 24 hours after planning on it for years. Crazy.

I think we're going to road trip to Nashville this weekend and look at the cities to the South.

I know we'd love Atlanta - and I will definitely focus on Alpharetta if that's the decision we make. No need to road trip there. Lake Lanier is very attractive to us. And the climate. Hopefully we have a solid decision after this weekend...
Before leaning away from Jacksonville make sure you doing some rush hour "driving" in/around Alpharetta and see how that works for you.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:53 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Before leaning away from Jacksonville make sure you doing some rush hour "driving" in/around Alpharetta and see how that works for you.
Traffic won't be too much of an issue if he'll be working and living in the Alpharetta area. It's when you're doing that Alpharetta to Buckhead or even Perimeter commute (or vice versa) that you'll have issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City