Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Memphis, TN vs Houston, TX
Family Attractions 1 9.09%
Best area for schools 0 0%
Outdoor activities 0 0%
Younger families 0 0%
Jobs 2 18.18%
cost of living 3 27.27%
Best areas to live not to city 0 0%
Best place to raise a family 0 0%
Best place to retire 0 0%
Lifestyle 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 08:07 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaerFamily View Post
We're looking more in millington, Bartlett and Germantown areas for TN and Willis, Conroe or Huffman for Texas. We are just looking for people that know these areas and what they think, thank you to who had replied so far,
Willis is awful and so is Huffman. Sure you'll enjoy living there if you like being surrounded by toothless rednecks. Conroe is a bit better. But if your going to live there at least find a community near the lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 08:53 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
As a native Memphian, I implore you to reconsider moving to Memphis. I've watched it deteriorate from a clean, beautiful, safe city to a filthy, crime-ridden cesspool.
As KatherineAragon mentioned, Houston is so much bigger, there is no comparison.

Memphis schools are not acceptable. My brother retired from the Memphis City Schools (now Shelby County Schools), and my knowledge of the schools there comes directly from his recent teaching experience. So be assured that you would have to enroll your children in private schools.
Another native Memphian here who currently lives in Texas. I agree 100% with hellpaso. Houston won't give you a "small town feel" or many truly cold winters , but it still beats Memphis any day of the week. There is a reason why so many people have left Memphis over the past 15 years and moved to Texas.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:33 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Willis is awful and so is Huffman. Sure you'll enjoy living there if you like being surrounded by toothless rednecks. Conroe is a bit better. But if your going to live there at least find a community near the lake.
Your description is pathetic.

Toothless rednecks.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:41 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Memphis

Old 05-18-2016, 10:03 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Lived in both, weather wise not enough of a difference to matter other than houston can get hurricanes while memphis sees more tornado activity. and memphis is NOT a four season city, unless you count bone chilling damp as a winter season. go with Nashville if you can.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:09 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Houston is going to clean the clock of any TN side in terms of things to do, economy, etc.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:46 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
memphis is NOT a four season city, unless you count bone chilling damp as a winter season.
Ummm...sure it is. Unless you only consider being snowed in every winter "four seasons"...

That's actually one of the VERY few areas I'd actually give Memphis an edge over Houston in; having a change of seasons versus just feeling humid and stuffy the majority of the year, like Houston does down on the Gulf.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:35 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,521 times
Houston and it's not close. I would never want to live in Memphis. Visit for a day or two sure but not live there. Houston is richer in culture, much bigger, has more sports teams, etc. Much more to do there.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:17 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Ummm...sure it is. Unless you only consider being snowed in every winter "four seasons"...

That's actually one of the VERY few areas I'd actually give Memphis an edge over Houston in; having a change of seasons versus just feeling humid and stuffy the majority of the year, like Houston does down on the Gulf.
If you are going to look at it that way then there are very few areas that don't have 'four seasons', even Houston. A Memphis winter basically consists of dipping just to freezing in the wee hours of the morning, long enough to put a thin coat of ice on the roads in time for morning traffic. Other than that the winter is just damp, drab, and chilly with daytime temps around the forties and fifties and very rarely any snow. If that's your idea of winter, okay, but yes I consider a four season climate to be one that can predictably count on at least some snow every year .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City