Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 09:54 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's just hard to understand the rationale "Atlanta doesn't stack up to Philly, DC, Boston, Chicago, etc.; therefore I prefer Charlotte."
Because that isn't what I said. Maybe I should quote myself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

Personally, I enjoyed Charlotte more. I grew up partly in the DC Metro, and going to Atlanta, I guess I feel it was overhyped. It definitely carries big city amenities, but I saw nothing there I couldn't find elsewhere, in other big cities, so I was a little disappointed. The inner city neighborhoods were not impressively urban, and there is a contrast of two Atlanta's--real Atlanta and contrived Atlanta. It's hard to distinguish between the two because the residents and natives blur the lines. I'm critical of Atlanta. I did enjoy it/do like it, and may move back soon, but I'm not the biggest fan. It is certainly a tad overhyped...

Charlotte, however, I had much lower expectations that were exceeded...
@mutiny, Post #2...

Old 06-12-2016, 08:35 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
@mutiny, Post #2...
It still really doesn't make much sense to me because again, Charlotte is to its Northeastern/Midwestern counterparts the same as Atlanta is to its Northeastern/Midwestern counterparts in pretty much every respect, especially on the points you criticized Atlanta for. The rationale just isn't really adding up for me but you're definitely entitled to your opinion. For the vast majority of people who prefer Charlotte to Atlanta (and are from neither), it's usually due to Charlotte being smaller, having less traffic, being easier to navigate, having less crime, being more family friendly, etc.--stuff like that. So it's just really...different...to see someone lay out the argument in the way you are doing so, even criticizing Atlanta compared to cities that are definitely out of its league like Chicago, LA, and NYC which is patently unfair IMO. You're using completely different standards to size up each city, like knocking MARTA while praising LYNX and calling both Atlanta and Charlotte "Black wonderlands" when even Black folks in Charlotte will tell you the city doesn't stack up to Atlanta when it comes to Black culture and the social scene. It's just...kinda weird to me.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 06-12-2016 at 08:55 AM..

Old 06-12-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
It still really doesn't make much sense to me because again, Charlotte is to its Northeastern/Midwestern counterparts the same as Atlanta is to its Northeastern/Midwestern counterparts in pretty much every respect, especially on the points you criticized Atlanta for. The rationale just isn't really adding up for me but you're definitely entitled to your opinion. For the vast majority of people who prefer Charlotte to Atlanta (and are from neither), it's usually due to Charlotte being smaller, having less traffic, being easier to navigate, having less crime, being more family friendly, etc.--stuff like that. So it's just really...different...to see someone lay out the argument in the way you are doing so, even criticizing Atlanta compared to cities that are definitely out of its league like Chicago, LA, and NYC which is patently unfair IMO. You're using completely different standards to size up each city, like knocking MARTA while praising LYNX and calling both Atlanta and Charlotte "Black wonderlands" when even Black folks in Charlotte will tell you the city doesn't stack up to Atlanta when it comes to Black culture and the social scene. It's just...kinda weird to me.
Weird as it may be, for me, I don't care about it being smaller (because it is still sizable); less traffic (not a big deal); easier to navigate (it really isnt; Charlotte is wild spread out); more family friendly (I'm 27 with no kids so doesn't matter)...

The things that "most" people cite for preferring Charlotte over Atlanta---that's why it's only "most" people , not all. It doesn't apply to me. Why are you arguing with me about MY preferences? That's the really weird thing here...

I compare Atlanta and Charlotte both to similarly-sized cities, hence why "i" knock Atlanta. Besides NY, LA, and Chi, Atlanta should be compared to every other city over 4 million. And while it certainly holds its own in areas, it doesn't compare favorably in many others (GDP being the most notable). Charlotte, meanwhile, compares very well to cities between 2-3 million. It is what it is...

Take it for what it's worth. Many people enjoy and prefer Atlanta. I can enjoy it but don't prefer it over anywhere. You like Atlanta. That's fine. But don't tell me why I should like it, when I've told you why I dont...

Old 06-12-2016, 10:18 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
I compare Atlanta and Charlotte both to similarly-sized cities, hence why "i" knock Atlanta. Besides NY, LA, and Chi, Atlanta should be compared to every other city over 4 million. And while it certainly holds its own in areas, it doesn't compare favorably in many others (GDP being the most notable). Charlotte, meanwhile, compares very well to cities between 2-3 million. It is what it is...
This is kinda what it comes down to, but I really don't see it. I don't really see how Charlotte compares all that well to classically urban metros in the 2-3 million range based on the criteria that you criticize Atlanta for. That's what I'm having trouble understanding. Basically you're saying that Atlanta is at the bottom of the totem pole compared to its classically urban peers, but somehow Charlotte is at the top when compared to its classically urban peers. I don't get that. Both have very similar standings compared to their classically urban peers, objectively speaking, but classically urban elements aren't either city's strong suit. An apples-to-apples comparison would be to compare both cities to their Sunbelt peers.

Quote:
Take it for what it's worth. Many people enjoy and prefer Atlanta. I can enjoy it but don't prefer it over anywhere. You like Atlanta. That's fine. But don't tell me why I should like it, when I've told you why I dont...
It's just the reasoning behind your preference as you've laid it out that I'm struggling to understand. But okay.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:16 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Weird as it may be, for me, I don't care about it being smaller (because it is still sizable); less traffic (not a big deal); easier to navigate (it really isnt; Charlotte is wild spread out); more family friendly (I'm 27 with no kids so doesn't matter)...

The things that "most" people cite for preferring Charlotte over Atlanta---that's why it's only "most" people , not all. It doesn't apply to me. Why are you arguing with me about MY preferences? That's the really weird thing here...

I can understand his confusion because it's confusing to me as well.

You saying Atlanta doesn't stack up to Chicago or L.A so I prefer Charlotte is like saying a Lexus isn't as nice as a Mercedes or BMW so I would rather have an Oldsmobile. WHat?!? LOL

Old 06-12-2016, 10:54 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
This should have been your first post. You went right into defense mode without all the detail facts about marta.
Exactly,Everything I said was factual so it should not have been a big issue as he made it.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I was at Atlantic Station today. Started to jump on MARTA but decided I was too tired, so instead went on a driving tour through and around Sweet Auburn, Inman, Edgewood, Kirkwood, and half of Decatur. My MARTA trip is coming soon, I'll do it at least once by the end of summer. I plan on touring different sections of Atlanta as the summer wears on...

I've always felt Charlotte is probably comparable to Atlanta at its boom's infancy. Despite clear differences in culture, there is enough parallels to warrant this belief...

I think the biggest reason Atlanta isn't especially appealing to me is because I feel like I've seen it all before. Sure, the quantity of venues is far greater in Atlanta, and yes, there is a more upscale lifestyle in Atlanta, but these things are present in Charlotte in lesser quantity. I still don't understand how someone from Atlanta can call Charlotte "sterile", when Atlanta is has so much of the same things Charlotte has--large office parks, huge corporate presence, big box stores, chains, same architecture, similar landscape, spread out, only semi-urban city. What sets Atlanta apart from Charlotte are 1)the sheer size differential, which lends itself to the aforementioned quantity upgrade over Charlotte, 2)the huge impact blacks have had on the city's culture and influence, and 3)the very, very large media and entertainment presence. All three of these are huge in scale and impossible to ignore. That said, they fortunately don't constitute the entirety of Atlanta's culture, which, the rest of it on more than a few accounts, is reminiscent of Charlotte...

I'm working with a lady this summer from Vegas who's been in Atlanta for two years. She, too, isn't at all impressed by Atlanta. She also used to live in Chicago and Philly, and I wonder if that's part of the reason. I stated on this site about two years ago, while I was living there, that most people I've met in Metro Atlanta from other 5 million-plus metros largely found Atlanta unimpressive, while most people I've met who haven't ever experienced a large city were floored by the A and enjoyed it immensely. This isn't true of every person from those groups, but my observations have shown me that's likely the case. Those of us who have lived in the biggest cities or the suburbs of the biggest cities aren't wowed by Atlanta and find it a bit overhyped...

As an urbanite, originally from Metro DC, and having also spent time in LA (visited and lived there) and Dallas (visited), Atlanta is the most underwhelming big city I've been to. The urban sensibility is far, far less than is found in DC and LA specifically, even in some of those cities' suburbs...

I'd take Charlotte any day...
You are hanging around the wrong crowd and you sound totally defensive.
You can prefer Charlotte all day and have all kinds of ancedotal evidence to support your views however so can I.
I just spent time with 2 Couchsurfers of mine.(Look it up) and just like always peopel that come to Atlanta go downtown or move to Alpharetta have told them not much going on.
Yet when we go to places like Ponce City Market,The Beltline,and Paris on Ponce,my guest who are from Italy and Russia LOVE Atlanta.
They both told me they would have missed all this.So go ahead hate it or love it.That your right but be logical and fair in your asessment. Especially as it seems you dont even know enough to make a full assessment.

I also find it insulting that you find that because are originally from "Metro" DC,you think you have a better take on what people should expect.Very arrogant.

Im sure I could probably tell you more about D.C. as you grew up in a suburb in MD or VA but I guess who are an expert just like you are in Atlanta.

I never said one bad thing about Charlotte.Only facts,For you to try to sell us that B.S. about how anyone can from Atlanta can call Charlotte "streile" is hogwash.
Do you open your eyes in Atlanta?Have you not seen the FoX Theater,The Flatiron,Candler,Biltmore,Ponce City and Krog Street Markets,Morehouse adn Spelman College Campuses,The Herndon Home,or neighborhoods like Inman or Grant Park?
Tell me where have you seen any of this in Charlotte?These structures and areas date back as early as the late 1800's.
There is no place in the US like the AUC.Or no place with as rich of black culture on display as Atlanta.

I have friends from all over the globe and most find the Beltline and the sites on it facinating.They are suredly more traveled than YOU.

Some nerve.lol

Old 06-12-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
So basically, even though you find Charlotte to be a "smaller Atlanta" and Atlanta is a good bit closer to traditionally urban cities in every respect than Charlotte, you still prefer Charlotte because....????

I mean there are perfectly good reasons to prefer Charlotte over Atlanta; I'm a former resident of both metros so I'm very aware of their differences, as well as their similarities, and really like them both. But I just don't understand the reasoning here. All of the reasons that Atlanta could be called "underwhelming" in comparison to the classically urban big Northern cities applies to Charlotte with respect to its classically urban Northern peers (and even some Southern peers, like Richmond, New Orleans, Louisville, etc.) so the reasoning is just kind of mind-boggling to me. Atlanta is underwhelming to you because you've "seen it all before," so does Charlotte offer more eclectic and hip neighborhoods that you haven't seen before?

Oh and the reason why Charlotte is often called "sterile" more often than Atlanta is because of their primary CBDs. Uptown Charlotte is very, very new; the city destroyed a good bit more of its urban historic fabric than Atlanta, and it shows. Atlanta still has gritty, historic parts of its downtown intact, like Fairlie-Poplar and south downtown while Charlotte has nothing comparable in Uptown. Even Charlotte's 'hoods are relatively tame compared to a lot of other cities; there's nothing like the Bluff or Bankhead in Charlotte.

It's just hard to understand the rationale "Atlanta doesn't stack up to Philly, DC, Boston, Chicago, etc.; therefore I prefer Charlotte."
Yu took the words out of my mouth.Just so transparent.Grabbing at straws that make no logical sense.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:36 AM

So lets just compare attributes of bothe cities:

LYNK is a full 9.6 miles in a city that is almost 300Sq miles.More than twice the size of Atlanta with its MARTA Heavy rail system that travels without street traffic like LYNK and goes in 5 directions with a length of 45 miles outside of the city.

Charlotte History Famous events:
City population in 1880 grew to 7,084.It was founded in 1763.
More than 60 years older than Atlanta.In 1880.Atlanta population was at 37,400.After Sherman Burned Atlanta during the Civil War.
Gone With The Wind is the world famous book written chronicling a Southern families trials through this period.To thsi day people still come looking for Tara."Shermans March to Sea" was one of the most defining moments in American History .
Also the Battle of Atlanta.
Sites can be found in cities like Jonesboro,Roswell,Fayette County and 100 of other sites.

Charlotte was the center for the Confederate Naval yard during the Civil War,As far as I could find there were no important battles ever fought in Charlotte.
Charlotte gold was found in 1799 but by 1849 all the diggers moved out west.

Civil Rights Legacy.Atlanta: SCLC,SNICK,MLK JR,The AUC,Ebeneezer.John Lewis
Charlotte sit ins.Bombing of County commissioner member who was the forst back elected official in Charlotte.
All there are mainly plaques.No physical structures.

I had to actually search very hard to find anything meaningful on a national level.
Even on wikipeadia,there is two paragraphs on history that was not really relevant to anyone but people in Charlotte.No major museums to visit accept for the general Charlotte History museum which almost closed because of poor attendence and bad management for years.

Charlotte gets less visitors than Savannah and its peer city Nashville but no"its not sterile".lol. Even though its as almost as old as Savannah.

Atlanta has had neighborhoods as the backdrop for famous movies even after Gone With The Wind.
Druid Hills neighborhood was a streetcar neighborhood designed by the Fredrick Law Olmstead.
Ut was made famous by the movie "Driving Miss Daisey"
What famous movies or books have Charlotte been the backdrop for?What great AMerican events happened in Charlotte that someone may know?What historic sites where important events happen would I visit in Charlotte?

You dont have visible history all around you and it be devoid of culture and history.That was my point in the difference between why I say Charlotte is "Sterile". How that is so debateble is beyond me.
Instead of defending by providing facts about Charlotte to argue against what was said,you attack Atlanta and people who prefer it.
No one attacked you and your preference.If you gonna be so sensitive,stay out of the forums or come up with better arguments,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City